main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Crown

Discussion in 'Community' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 4, 2016.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I liked how the Queen told Prince Andrew to change his ways, or one day he’ll become a filthy paedo.

Diggy and Rew like this.
  2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Do you guys get The Windsors in america ?

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I've tried to watch it, but to be honest I haven't found it funny enough to keep going with more episodes.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    The Crown or The Windsors ?

5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    The Windsors.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Definitely a fictionalized show, but peerages for departing prime ministers used to be fairly routine. It was a practice only ended recently -- and Thatcher's peerage was merely a life peerage as that, since MacMillan was the last prime minister to be granted a hereditary peerage. Remember that this was before the House of Lords Reform Act -- peerages once automatically granted entry to the House of Lords, which was basically a club for retired politicians of stature. That's not the case any longer.

It's important not to confuse protocol and courtesy with friendship. Especially when we're talking about the leaders of political parties and ceremonial acts such as invitations to royal weddings.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Jedi Ben, Darth Punk and Coruscant like this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    so I'm about halfway through season 2 now. this show is unbelievably good - I like it as much as I liked the americans, which was close to perfect.

i have a question for british history people, or those more familiar with the windsors. just finished the episode in which elizabeth unceremoniously punts edward viii out of britain, seemingly for good, following her reading the marburg files and then learning the nastier details of his association/plans with hitler from the retired crown secretary. at the beginning of the episode, it is shown that churchill is fully aware of what is in these files, as he and george vi make the decision to seal them and keep them private.

churchill is shown to be an incredibly well-informed player by every measurement, and id imagine that if philip was aware of both these files and the extra/worse stuff (as implied by his directing elizabeth to the retired secretary, when she's floating the idea of forgiveness), churchill was too.

churchill obviously hated nazis about as much as anyone ever has. so how in the **** would churchill not only host, but graciously offer to help edward in the aftermath of his george's passing? and continued to refer to him as a close friend, as shown in an early season 1 episode.

i understand the show is not 100% factual, but this seems to be presented as mostly such.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    @heels1785 one must remember that when it come to Churchill Vs Hitler, while one was a right wing monster, with a destructive foreign policy and a vicious and cruel home policy that punished many people of the country they ruled, the other was Hitler.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I watched Season 4, never watched the other ones, but the focus on Margaret Thatcher and Princess Diana hooked me. It was really good. Though I hear they were very creative in some things, or changed timing, to play up for dramatic effect (understandable). Is there anything big in season 4 that's completely fictional or unfair?

10. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I enjoyed S4 quite a bit. Very happy it’s back to its 6 season plan.

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    My immediate thinking is some of the parallels we saw with Thatcher and Diana did not happen as close as the show would have us think

IE: Thatcher winning the PM, Charles meeting Diana. Because time moves at different speeds in these episodes, it can appear as though they are happening concurrently.
    However, I doubt for instance that Thatcher and Diana were both vacationing with the Queen with only a few days between them. That felt more done to show Thatcher failing and Diana passing but was likely also done to fit both characters into the episode.

12. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Read that the Royal Family (I guess after seeing this season or reading about it) wanted Netflix to put up a 'warning' saying "This is all fictional".

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Rew likes this.
  13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    finished season 4 up over the weekend. magnificent, loved every episode of the series.

princess anne is undoubtedly the show's best character, and perhaps its only reliably likeable one.

Yodaminch, Rew and Bacon164 like this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I wonder if they’ll get Meghan Markle to play Meghan Markle?

Bacon164 and Coruscant like this.
  15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Too old.

Darth Punk likes this.
  16. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I actually wonder what time period this show will end on. I could see it ending in 1999, which would be the death of Diana, and the end of the 20th Century. They've got late 80s and 90s left to cover in the final 2 seasons.

I kind of doubt they'll keep going up til present day, except maybe for a final shot, fast-forward to present day, with a 95 yo Queen thinking back on her life kind of thing.

17. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Season 4 ended in 1990, so I can see season 5 covering up through the turn of the millennium and season 6 taking us roughly into present day.

I firmly believe that after the queen passes (whenever that will be), The Crown will return for a true ending, either in the form of a full fledged season 7 or its own miniseries, covering Queen Elizabeth’s final years.

heels1785 likes this.
  18. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Was it 1990. I thought we were still in late 80s, 1987 or something. I think the producer said he has a 20 year rule for the story. That's his boundary because we can't fully understand current events like the past.

In any case, the 90s had some explosive stuff going on, even outside the Diana stuff, a fire, lots of ruined marriages,

19. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Def ends in 1990.

20. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I read in an article a couple of weeks ago that they are talking about bringing it up to modern-day. I always assumed that it would end at the turn of the century. I'm not really sure how I feel about the show going through modern day.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They do about a decade a series and are ending it after six series. That would take it to 2010 or so. And make the fifth series brilliant and the sixth really boring.

22. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Maybe the sixth should extend from around 2000 to the present day, then. There might be a 9/11 episode, then Charles’ wedding to Camilla. The London bombings of ‘05. Iraq War might come up with Blair. Fill up the early season with William and Kate’s courtship, then the mid-season stretch could include the wedding. End the series by linking back thematically to the frustrated courtships of Margaret, Edward VIII, etc. with Harry and Meghan’s marriage and subsequent reduction of their royal roles.

heels1785 likes this.
  23. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    A 9/11 episode with the royal family would be interesting in as far as I have no idea how it would have affected them at all.

seems like the most obvious ending frame would be the Diamond Jubilee

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  24. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm also thinking that a season for the 90s, and then a final season leading up to around the 2010, so the diamon jubilee would be a fitting end to it all. I'm guessing season 5 will be all about the marriage break-ups for her children and Diana and then the last season will be about loosing her mother and sister and trying to finally come closer to Charles.

25. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The problem with covering Diana’s death is the inevitable comparison with the Helen Mirren film “The Queen”, which was superb and I can’t see how the show can do it better.

Pensivia likes this.