main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.06 - Chapter 14 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 2, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 11, 2020.
  1. 10

31.9%
  2. 9

26.3%
  3. 8

21.3%
  4. 7

11.3%
  5. 6

5.0%
  6. 5

1.9%
  7. 4

1.9%
  8. 3

0.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    The casual fan does not even recognize that the thing has Anakin's old engine. Can you explain to me in detail why this bothers you, if it's not because other people liked it? If it doesn't change the narrative one bit, how does it bother you? And even more so, why would a casual fan be bothered by something they didn't even recognize? Didn't you say a few days ago that "it gets annoying because if 100 people are watching the episode, then 90 of them would get annoyed because the other 10 would cheer and laugh and be excited when they show easter eggs" to paraphrase?

I am not making that stuff up, I have seen multiple people literally get annoyed because other people get excited about that stuff. Not a good reason to get annoyed. Let people enjoy their easter eggs, if these easter eggs do not hurt the story.

Exactly.
    And this is why Filoni and Favreu are doing a great job. They approach the show from all angles. They know what the casual fan needs, and they know what the hardcore fans knows and wants too. Favreau literally said so in Disney Gallery : The Mandalorian, and I was actually moved by it. Finally , two people that actually know what people want to see and also get Star Wars, therefore creating a show that the vast majority of people loves. Why is this not a good thing?

2. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Everything in bold is all your own interpretation. Not proved, not explained.

HOWEVER - its great that you do that....that is what fiction is all about....you interpret what you are seeing and hearing and make up your own mind. Nothing wrong with that at all.

3. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I understand your point, but allow me to use one of your examples, so I can understand better what you think of it. That the Tuskens travel in single file is established in the first movie. Not criticizing or anything, just curious: why do you feel this hinders the episode? Don't you think there would be a huge part of the fanbase whining about it if the Tuskens weren't shown traveling in single files? "the writers don´t know the material" "they haven't even seen ANH!", "blabla, blablablaaaa", and so on. Isn't a good thing to know they remember and care enough to include such a detail in the writing?

I mean, I know what you´re really aiming at: there shouldn't be so many references as to obscure the plot. Its a fair point. But even if you don´t know who Boba Fett is, by last weeks episode you already know context, you can understand why the armor of season 2 episode 1 had this extra meaning, and that it was to be developed later on. Its self explanatory, looking only to reward people who has been following the series... something that shouldn't be seen as bad in a series that gets sometimes criticized as one full of filler, adventure of the week kind of episodes, I imagine...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    godisawesome and DarthFixxxer like this.
  4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I mean, I love what Favreu and Filoni are bringing to the table, but I also love what Chow, Famuyiwa, Howard and the others are offering, I’m all for multiple people offering their unique perspectives and voices to the Star Wars universe.

I think the show is excelling because of the variety of people working on it, as well as the fact that having people like Filoni and Favreu working to have a coherence story to it all.

Bor Mullet and BadAcrobat like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think TM can bring a heck of a lot to the character that we haven’t seen before

6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    yes exactly, he was a undervalued accessory to AOTCs, and here in the Mandalorian he offers his services again to a secondary character, but brings all his swagger to it. It works really well...and helps establish the character, Boba Fett, in this era after ROTJ

7. PintoDog32

PintoDog32 Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2020
    Im not going to do the quote/multi quote thing because it would be too big since several people have talked about it. My question is why would Tuskan Raiders moving in single file be fan service? Wouldn't that be an essential part of their instincts/habits/nature?

8. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I was referring specifically to planning the main story, the script, and the characters. Chow, Famuyiwa, Howard and Rodriguez are given scripts and direct the episodes. They have the artistic freedom to change a few things here and there, and they all together sit and discuss about all the nuances of the show, but at the end of the day it is F+F that decide what's going to happen in the story and where they want to go with it. Filoni already knows where the show will go by the end of however seasons they will make, and I bet you Favreu and him have laid out a plan for all of this.

It's called attention to detail, not fan service, if you ask me.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Correct that’s not fan service

10. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  11. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    This show was going so well with ALL fans really....up until this point. Chapter 14 has divided opinion more than any other episode and a real shame after the success of the last two or three episodes. The interpretation of 'fan service' where Boba Fett's resurrection is concerned is a telling reason I think.

12. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I don't know about that. There are voices in here, but the world is raving about F+F even more after Chapter 14. Everyone has lost their mind about how good this show is on all social media, and many people are saying it's even better than Chapter 13 (I don't agree with that). Opinions about Chapter 14 are most certainly not divided. 80% of the votes even in this topic, have given the episode 8 out of 10 or better. I do not call this divisive.

13. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    Not sure many people are saying its better than Ch. 13, which it is clearly not (mainly due to the directing style and location/world building rather than characters) I would guess. The poll on this forum for Chapter 13 is WAY more than 80% giving it an 8+. In fact - nearly 80 % give it a 10!

14. dsjericho

dsjericho Jedi Knight

Mar 2, 2016
    I actually rated this episode as mediocre but it was mostly due to how Din came off as dumb. I had less of a problem with other characters and directing but ... Din, dude. He left his jetpack, he left Grogu, never checked his ship for a tracker when he's got valuable assets onboard (and he's a pro), etc. They should have treated him much better in the writing.

(Nope not better than "The [Baby] Jedi" episode. :) )

Chémus likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think Din was dumb this episode

16. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    I agree but too many characters across the universe act like Jedi are folklore that don't even exist, when the order itself was around only 30 years before on the capital planet of the republic. At least for me it comes across as implausible sometimes

17. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    Yeah they purposefully went out to make Fett look like the way more intelligent, heroic and dangerous Mandalorian! And it worked :(

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Fett is way more dangerous as he has literally nothing to lose

RetropME likes this.
  19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    No, 50% gave it a 10. But what I am saying is that regardless of whether 13 or 14 is better in your opinion or mine, both are widely accepted as great episodes. People are not divided about either of the episodes. They overwhelmingly loved both of these episodes. Art is subjective btw, I also prefer Chapter 13 but I can't tell someone that they have to think it's better than 14. And yes, there are many people who liked 14 better than 13, so what? Isn't it great that we can love both episodes?

TheYodaPagoda and RetropME like this.
  20. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    I tend to agree with you, especially with him trying to run into the force-field three different times and knocking himself out. He's been so smart and accurate in every other situation and then he just made one bonehead decision after another in this episode. it did take me out of it to an extent. And that's the part that felt like fanservice to me was like oh we have Boba back we got to make him the star of this episode. Same thing happened last episode to a lesser extent ashoka got all the big plot points while mando batted clean up. But they still give him enough to do in that episode, but this episode like you said he made dumb decisions and was left out to dry some

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The only (mostly) universal complaint I have heard was about Tython being lacking

22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    None of that matters. He's a guy that seems to tracking Mando. Given the dynamics of last season, that's all casual audiences need to know. Knowing that he might be Boba Fett is of no consequence to the story. My wife, who doesn't know anything Star Wars, simply said: "Oh ****, another bounty hunter is tracking him." That's exactly what the show makes you think. And...it was true. It's just that us fans know exactly who that bounty hunter was.

RetropME and DarthFixxxer like this.
  23. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    Oh, and they blew up the shows LEAD characters' cool spaceship! Unless they have major plans......like Din getting Slave 1.....I saw absolutely no point in them destroying the Razor Crest.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    There was totally a point for destroying the ship it was to get Din to his lowest point yet in the show

RetropME likes this.
  25. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    Where did I tell someone to think one is better than the other?