main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.06 - Chapter 14 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 2, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 11, 2020.
  1. 10

31.9%
  2. 9

26.3%
  3. 8

21.3%
  4. 7

11.3%
  5. 6

5.0%
  6. 5

1.9%
  7. 4

1.9%
  8. 3

0.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Well, if they suddenly had crack shot, navy seal style killing machines (how cool would that be) for Stormtroopers...….you retcon the entire franchise [face_laugh]

Its funny, after watching their woeful attempt to take down Mando and his two new friends I fired up the last 4 episodes of Rebels - there was one scene in particular that made me laugh - Kanan rescues Hera and as they are escaping there is one shot where you see about 6 Stormtroopers with clear, unobstructed shots at our heroes, from about 20 feet.....and they cant land one shot!

Sarge and KING_KENOBI like this.
  2. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    But I would call that world building. :)

3. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    Yeah its quite pathetic,you get the clones being somewhat competent(still obvious they are being written by civillians,but as long as their competent im looking the other way) but the instant the same very military organization are portrayed as bad guys they are bumbling buffoons.
    I wish for them to hire some military advisors at this point,its glaringly obvious the extras are just being told to run around as headless chickens with no discernible infantry tactics to be seen.
    Are anyone really afraid for Baby Yoda/Grogu..when just a couple of guys can sneak onto an imperial FOB-esque installation and take down the entirety of personnel on post?..I think not..they need to fix the sense of stakes.

Sarge and Intergalactic Lawman like this.
  4. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    Yeah that's definitely worldbuilding, which this show is excellent at.

5. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I think there's different levels of "fan service" or what can be considered such. The Tusken Raiders I didn't consider fan service as well...nor the Jawas in season one. Using R5-D4 is. I watched a video on YouTube, Star Wars Explained where he says using Cobb Vanth wasn't so much to use HIM but that he was convenient to use for the episode. Now yes, hardcore fans know Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, etc. but I feel the only real outside extra one was Thrawn that was a REAL hint since hardcore fans have seen Rebels and read Zahn.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No I just am Afraid of misspelling his last name so I don’t even try :p

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I like the exterior of Slave I better than the Razorcrest, but I prefer the latter’s cockpit.

8. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The Razor Crest was a piece of junk, constantly falling apart, and that's what made it so endearing to me. It was a space minivan, for the space dad and his space kid.

Gonna miss that mess of a ship so much.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I thought the Razorcrest had a great design too. Not as perfect as Slave I, but a properly iconic Star Wars ship. Even though it felt like the flatbed truck of the GFFA.

10. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Let us also take a moment to appreciate the dearly departed Razor Crest for giving us our very first Star Wars toilet.

Sarge, DarthKreVass, TadoFett and 5 others like this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    A long time ago in a lavoratory far, far away.

12. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    LOL....I love that space minivan comment.

TadoFett, RetropME and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I’ll miss it but I wasn’t that attached to it either

TadoFett likes this.
  14. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I was very attached. Probably my favorite new ship of the Disney era, alongside the Ghost.

It bums me out that there's no decently priced, good looking Razor Crest display piece out there. The Vintage Collection one is too pricey (and too big) for me, and the proportions on the Lego one are all out of whack. I'd love for someone to release a screen accurate model kit...

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Hopefully they would it might be one of the only non book/comic Star Wars merchandise that I would buy

TadoFett likes this.
  16. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    I've explained it numerous times

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Non-fans have no problem following every part of the story, despite all the “fan service.” It’s seamlessly integrated into the story. It often even reinforces the storytelling. If that’s fan service, then it’s fan service done right. I haven’t yet heard an explanation for why it’s objectionable that doesn’t rely on false narratives about how non-fans are taking it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  18. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    This show is losing it's way in season 2 I'm afraid... 1 character that runs into a who's who of the galaxy on a regular basis is getting to be a bit much. Atleast with GOT it was spread out among numerous characters. They are shrinking this world week by week, and I fear it ain't over yet :oops:

I read a really good article the other day talking about fan service done well... It was saying that an example of good fan service was Rogue One where Gold and Red leaders were present at the end battle on Scarif, because it would have been harder to explain their absence. The Death Star attack was only a few days or so later... Why wouldn't they be there with their squads as the leaders??

Bad fan service is when it's harder to explain their actual inclusion in the story than their absence (eg Ahsoka, Bo-katan, Boba etc) Why would half of these characters be in THIS particular story?? Beats me...

Sarge and KING_KENOBI like this.
  19. Mr Bogan

Mr Bogan Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 28, 2016
    Well our hero is in a quest actively searching the galaxy for:
    A) Mandalorians
    B) Jedi

The first kind got the Geonosis treatment from the Empire, so they are few and scattered. Makes sense that among the ones Din finds we have familiar faces, along with many more we never knew before (in Mandos alone I guess we already saw some 20, only one of those from previous SW stories. And we know of at least one another survivor, the "guardian of Lothal".

The second kind was decimated. So either Din met a new - never heard of before - Jedi, or he had to bump into either Ashoka or Luke.

Of course we could have a new Jedi, but you can't please fans I guess. I do remember some grumpy ones complaining when Rebels aired that the mere existence of Kanan and Ezra made the Jedi purge seem of no consequence. And I bet the same complaint would be posted if Din "found" a new Jedi in his quest.

Sarge, LedReader, Riv_Shiel and 3 others like this.
  20. PintoDog32

PintoDog32 Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2020
    Mr Bogan makes some great points. I will add my thoughts to why I don't think the galaxy is getting "smaller". As Bogan said your dealing with the Mandos who are few and scattered. Sure their might be more Mando citizens on their homeworld but not just out in the open doing things off world.

So he gets word of where some Mandos would be and is able to meet up with them. It happens to be Bo Katan. She knows Ahsoka so Din is able to go from point A to point B. It's not like he met Bo and then also randomly met Ahsoka. He was sent to Ahsoka.

Now let's look at the numbers.

So what would the chances of meeting Bo-Katan be?
    1000 to 1, 10000 to 1, 100000, 1 mil, etc?

How many active mandos are their? Let's say 1 million. So million to 1 odds. (I think it's less but follow me anyways).

Well I have a real world example for everyone. I have a friend named "Norm" who lives in Nashville that I went to HS with. Another friend named "Parker" I went to school is friends with him and he happens to visit Nashville. Anyways Parker is in Nashville for a day and runs into Norm. Totally unplanned, unexpected, not did Parker give Norm a heads up that he was even in Nashville.

Why do I bring this up? Nashville has almost 700,000 people as it's population. 23rd largest in US. It's metropolitan population is nearly 2 mil. What are the chances on a random day that they would see each other? They weren't even seeking one or the other. Just happen to walk by each other.

Din finding Bo isn't that crazy nor does it make the galaxy small. I am sure plenty of people have real world stories like mine as well. Like the time two friends of mine met each other at a gas pump several states away from where their they live, while on two separate and random trips and somehow converge at the same gas station. (To me that gas pump story is kinda like Din and Boba)

Riv_Shiel and TadoFett like this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Easy. Ahsoka is one of the few Jedi alive during this time period, and she’s very well acquainted with some key Mandalorians. Din’s quest this season was to find some Mandalorians (who are highly reduced in numbers) who might know some Jedi, so he could deliver Grogu to them. And so it makes perfect story sense for Din to encounter both Bo and Ahsoka. Boba’s a little tougher to argue for, but by placing Din’s stomping grounds in the Outer Rim, which includes Tatooine, and by virtue of the fact that Din and Boba are both Mandalorians that live in the Outer Rim, it feels (to me) very plausible that they’d run into each other.

LedReader, TCF-1138 , Sproj and 2 others like this.
  22. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Okay my head canon for Mando not going back for his jet pack was that it was on the other side of the hill and going up was quicker than fetching it.

Grey Matter and TadoFett like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    My head canon is that some Offworld Jawas took it.

starfish and TadoFett like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Coming in a little bit late to this but my husband thought Solo took place prior to TPM because Maul showed up. I had to explain what happened in the cartoons.

He follows the Mando storyline with no problem but he has said that he should probably watch TCW and Rebels just for enhanced understanding. Which may be part of Disney’s point, including these characters to get Mando viewers interested in other shows—as opposed to canceling their Disney Plus subscription as soon as the season ends.

25. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I think a new Jedi would complicate things, though, in having to account for yet another during the events of the OT.

It's not just the plausibility, but what Boba brings, or could bring in the coming episodes, to inform Din's development, such as the father-son dynamic. The interaction with Bo-Katan was definitely a significant step.

Sproj and Bor Mullet like this.