main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Is there ever any mention of an all powerful God in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Mdriver1981, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Mdriver1981

Mdriver1981 Jedi Padawan

Jan 9, 2017
    In Isaac Asimov's books (which all take place in the same canon/universe, there are sporadic mentions of "The Galactic Spirit". Although, his last book Foundation and Earth, ends with the suggestion that all the functionings throughout the novels that imply the reality of an all-powerful God is simply a super-advanced, human-made droid that lives on the long-abandoned moon of the long-abandoned Earth.
    In Star Trek, which I am not very familiar with, it is implied that God is Q, a being that precedes the Big Bang. In Lord of the Rings, there is Eru Iluvatar, who created everything but does nothing to craft the events.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Q is consistently portrayed as just one member of a pantheon (the Q Continuum) with the others taking away his powers when he gets too bratty.

Threepio has said "Thank the Maker" - which might fit, if by that he means "the maker of the universe".

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Depends on if you consider the Force a "god" I suppose. I think Star Wars was more influenced by Eastern spirituality like Buddhism and Taoism than by monotheistic faiths like Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. That being said, I am sure that there are some believers in a single all-powerful god in the Star Wars universe. It's a large galaxy with what I imagine would be a large range of beliefs, which is why I tend to cringe when the "May the Force be with you/us" line gets overused by characters who aren't Jedi in universe because I tend to think they'd be more likely to have their own beliefs (like the Gungans have their own beliefs in TPM, which involve multiple gods that demand things like repaying life debts).

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    One of the earliest Legends references to multiple gods was in the ANH comic where, instead of just going "what?!" Vader goes "By the immortal gods of the Sith!" when Han attacks his wingman in the Death Star Trench

5. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    The closest I can think of, in universe and canon, would be the Father from the Mortis arc in TCW. As the physical embodiment of the Force, at least. There is nothing to indicate how long he maintained a physical appearance, or if he existed in an ethereal state prior to manifesting a physical form. This would have to take into account that the Force is deemed a religion or a religious belief, as well as being the prominent religion of the galaxy.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    "By the immortal gods of the Sith!" I like that one.

7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I think 'the Maker' is actually more literal than that. When Anakin returns to Tatooine in AOTC and 3PO recognises him, he exclaims "the Maker!" in reference to him. So Anakin is the Maker :)

8. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    An impressively loquacious oath of surprise and alarm to utter when someone's shooting at you.

LedReader, Sarge, Riv_Shiel and 2 others like this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Legends eventually named one - Typhojem - but most of the info about him is confined to the (cancelled, then released as non-canon material) Supernatural Encounters novella.

10. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Or in ANH, when he says "thank the maker" as he's lowering into the oil bath. Is he referring to whomever created him? Is he referring to the maker of the oil bath? It's kind of funny how a comment as simple can be taken both literally and figuratively.

11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Oh my lord. Why oh why was that not in the movie?

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Force, or at least its cosmic aspect, is the equivalent of God in Star Wars.

"The Force is a metaphor for God, and God is essentially unknowable." - George Lucas

3PO, being a droid, is referencing whoever his maker was. To a droid, its maker is its creator entity. It's one of those dialogue idiosyncrasies that makes Star Wars droids distinct from androids and robots in other works of fiction.

13. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Yes, I am aware of whom 3PO was referencing. I was making the point of how that comment can be both figurative and literal at the same time.

14. Jarrett Ammerman

Jarrett Ammerman Jedi Knight

Jun 27, 2016
    I’ve always held the theory that before hyperspace travel, each culture had their own explanations of what became known as The Force. In our world there are many deities credited with acts of nature and I would assume it was the same on each planet in the GFFA.

But once all the planets became connected, and thousands of years of assimilation occurred, it just generally became The Force. So most either believe the Force or not.

15. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Offhand there's one bizarre little moment in a TCW episode when a clone says "Oh God" in an exasperated way when he has to deal with Ziro the Hutt. It begs the question, since I can't think of any other even vague references like that, but it's also kid of hilarious.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    For another vague reference - Vice Admiral Holdo says "Godspeed, Rebels".

Mostly Handless and Sarge like this.
  17. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the Gungan gods yet. They may or may not actually exist in universe and according to the Gungan belief system, divine law dictates that when someone saves another person's life, the other person owes that someone a life debt.
    'Tis demanded by the gods, it is!

18. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    I browsed the responses before posting, but Han Solo says when Luke is lost on Hoth "Then I'll see you in Hell". Owen also says there will be "hell to pay".
    Not sure that has to do with deities, but certainly a concept of "afterlife".

19. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    If you go back to the story of the Je'daii Order, they believed in the light(Ashla), the dark(Bogan), and the balance(Bendu). Their philosophy was to live in neither the light nor the dark, but to live in the balance. It's a bit of a vague notion or reference, but living in the balance; or living in the Bendu, if you will; could be an indication of the Bendu being their God. Or possibly something akin to Greek Mythology where the Bendu is their God of Gods, with Ashla and Bogan being lesser Gods.

That said, I don't think the story of the Je'daii is canon any longer. I know parts have been picked out of the story and brought into canon, but I believe the entirety of the story is no longer canon.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  20. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I think I'm going to use it next time somebody cuts me up in traffic!

Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  21. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Fun fact: In the TCW movie, a battle droid falls from the monastery on Teth and, upon hitting the ground, exclaims "Oh my god".

22. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Oh yeah, I forgot that one! It's like an exclusively TCW thing that grunts have a monotheistic streak.

23. Wu Wei Jedi

Wu Wei Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 8, 2021

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Oof. That's some PT level bad dialog.

Back on topic, IIRC Padme told Anakin she had been praying for him in RotS. I don't think she ever specified who or what she was praying to.

25. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    I get the feeling the more primitive, isolated societies like Gungans and Ewoks still believe in anthropomorhic gods, but in the civilized, modernized worlds that's seen as an old evolutionary stepping-stone and now beings either belive in the Force or they don't. Yet, old figures of speech are still around like "There'll be hell to pay" and "I'll see you in hell". Anakin also says, "Our baby is a blessing." which tends to have religious/deistic connotations.

Even Lucas talks about the Force being a conglomeration of our world's major religions, and that each religion is like one person touching one part of an elephant in a dark room. So in a way, it follows that thousands of years from now, something similar could happen with humans.

"If there's only one God, why are there so many different religions?"

And about 3-P0, I'd always figured "Thank the Maker" was in reference to the person who invented droids, not necessarily the one individual person who made him. Because I'd always assumed he was built in an assembly-line factory like every other droid. But the PT added another interesting twist to the OT. He doesn't remember being built by Anakin, but we see the significance in his comment. So, in his mind he still may be referring generically to the creator of droids.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022