main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph On Earth, Everyone Can Hear You Scream: The Prometheus / Alien Discussion Thread (Romulus)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Whitey, Jul 30, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    More talk from Scott:

“There’s only ever the one. It’s like trying to do a sequel to ‘2001’. Fundamentally, you can’t. Really, with the greatest respect to ‘Star Wars,’ the best film by far is the one that George directed, right? By miles. It was unique. It was absolutely wonderful to me. It was the fairy story of all fairy stories in space. And to follow through is a tough call. So, same with ‘Alien’.

Interestingly enough, I was never asked to do the sequel. Maybe because I was such a tough guy when I was doing it they didn’t want me back. But I was also in the habit of not wanting to do a sequel then either. So I would never have done it.”

Scott did return to the franchise years later with the two prequels, both of which received mixed reviews. Asked if he sees a future for the franchise, he says possibly: “Go on, leave that [the familiar elements] behind, and see where it can evolve. So we’re looking where we’re going to evolve.”

VadersLaMent likes this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So I am to understand it's over with Covenant? No Alien Awakening? I mean, more films from Disney and all but.

3. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Covenant to me really suffered from being pulled in two directions, both looking to return to the horror aspect of the original and focusing on Davids character and for me didn't do full justice to either. Its true David was by far the most interesting character in Prometheus but after Covenant he seems to have become a bit more generic "robot who develops a god complex and turns on his creators" to the degree I'm not sure theres the same interest in seeing more of him.

As I said in the Terminator thread I do feel all of these franchises(Terminator, Alien, Predator) have suffered from focusing on building up this extended lore to appeal to fans in a geekish fashion. The originals were all fairly simple concepts that made it much easier to hang a good dramatic story on them.

Robocop I spose scoured people on reboots but honestly that was always a franchise linked to a certain era/style that was going to struggle updated. I would be much more interested in seeing Alien given to a quality director/cast to reboot, don't think its as tied to a certain era/style and always had more mainstream credibility plus I think room to rework the concepts/ideas a bit. Give it to someone like Jonathan Glazer(maybe using Johansson again if she's done with the MCU by then) for example and keep the budget relatively modest so it doesn't have to end up too bland to get an ultra wide appeal and I'd be a lot more interested. I mean remaking horror films for a different era used to be something with credibility, Bodysnatchers, The Thing, The Fly, etc so I don't see why it couldn't be again.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    R.D. likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not officially over, so Awakening could theoretically still happen but there's no momentum on the project at the moment. I think most of the non-Avatar Fox franchises will be taking a breather while Disney works out a plan/direction for them.

The transmission from David on the Covenant BD is the current end of the prequels- but that may not remain the case. Disney may see value is letting Scott (or someone else) wrap-up the David/Engineers arc in some form (even if it's Hulu content) so that they'd have a complete legacy package moving forward.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, I guess I was right and wrong this morning?

Alien Covenant Sequel Being Written w/ Scott to Direct

Scott had been talking about making another Alien prequel or two prior to Covenant's release, but hasn't offered any concrete updates on the situation since then. However, according to the latest report on the matter, a followup to Covenant is still in active development.

In a much larger retrospective published to commemorate Alien turning 40 this month, Variety revealed a third Alien prequel is in the scripting phase, with Scott lined up as director. Scott, in a separate interview with THR this past week, confirmed there are discussions for future Alien movies with Disney and Fox, but said he's pushing the studios to "see where [the franchise] can evolve".

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There's two 40th anniversary articles by Variety and Hollywood Reporter that those quotes came from. Good reads, the THR one has the best quote that is so very Ridley Scott

“I wasn't too popular with some of the actors because I’d say, ‘If it catches you, it's going to take your head off and stick it in a dark place. That's your motivation.’ I wanted it to be very icy in terms of, ’It’s only this.’ I don't want to know about where you came from, who your mum and dad was, all that crap. I avoided all that conversation. They didn't like that. But, you know, at that moment, I'm responsible for the film.”

Also later on in the article Scott reveals one of his production tricks to enhance the scale of the set, put two of his kids and one of the cameraman's kids in spacesuits so it looks bigger - good ole' child labour!

Blobofat likes this.
  7. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I agree. It feels like Scott wanted to do his android story a la Blade Runner, but the studio wants more xenomorph bloodiness. I'll say Covenant is one of those ones were I liked individual scenes, perhaps moreso than in Prometheus, but Prometheus felt more consistent and cohesive, if that makes any sense.

I made my own retrospective on Alien for it's 40th, and intend to do a look at the fan-made shorts once they're all out, if they aren't already. Between those and the high school play, it does feel that it's these sorts of projects giving the series it's share lately.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    here's the playlist of the shorts, still haven't seen them but there's 6 of them now so that would be at least a solid hour or so

9. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Yes I wouldn't disagree with that, I mean relative to the other franchises I mentioned I do think Alien has benefited from Scott still being a director of quality(even if I don't think its at the level of the late 70's/early 80's anymore) were as Predator/Terminator have had the feeling of "B-grade" around their productions for me for years however large the budgets might be. Still they seem like films were he isn't totally in the driving seat, where the studios have significant control over the writing process resulting in the confused and questionable work we've gotten.

Maybe its going to take a really significant flop for this culture to finally die off and a quality director to really be given a free hand in the franchises again.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's more Scott reacting to the response to Prometheus. He started off making an Alien prequel, then pursued more passion in making it less of an Alien prequel and more of a side story that was it's own sci-fi epic (of which the Xeno would just be one element). But people complained there wasn't enough Alien prequel in their Alien prequel, so Scott went "Oh, you want the monster? I'll give you the monster then, if it'll help boost the series forward to tell the story i want to tell".

So we got Covenant, which focused heavily on the Alien prequel elements and sidelined most of the Prometheus story threads (this is also around the time Scott started talking about a crazy number of prequels leading into Alien, presumably because he thought he might have to space things out now that he has to fill time with the Xenos). Now people complain about the Alien parts of Covenant instead. So now Scott is like "Ok, screw it, forget about the monsters, I'm gonna go back to telling the story I want to tell.".

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Remember when everyone criticized this from Prometheus...

[​IMG]

In real life during a panic...

[​IMG]

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Happy Alien Day!

While this video is set against a background of Stirring Dramatic Inspirational Music, I did find it odd that the Feel Good Music hit a climax point when they showed the chestburster ripping out of Kane. I mean, maybe it was a good moment for the baby Alien but everyone else not so much. Anyway, fun to see fans still out there and like Disney said it's highly improbable they'll just keep this franchise on the shelf.

R.D. and SuperWatto like this.
  13. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    So with all the news that has dropped tonight I’m not surprised this one went unnoticed.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    What's interesting is that they seem to imply it's a prequel coming the horror of Alien with the action of Aliens, set on Earth... but can you rally have Xenos on Earth before Covenant happens? At least not without working in AVP?

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It'll be interesting if they try to incorporate Prometheus/ Covenant mythology into the show if it's on Earth and not too far in the future. Scott is apparently going to be involved somehow so we'll see what happens.

Anyway, Hawley, so I'm expecting chestburster musical numbers or something like Spaceballs at one point hahah

this season of Fargo Hawley had some good existential horror monster dread creeping at the corners like something from Legion so I expect him to lean into that.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Both near future and Earth as settings are off putting to me, and I don’t care about continuity at all and I don’t think any Alien projects should care either.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Then why bother making an Alien series if you're not going to bother connecting it to the Alien movies?

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Alien RPG makes good use of pretty much all the Alien material, including Isolation.

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The answer is pretty obvious. Because an Alien series can be cool all by itself, with nothing to do with anything that came before. If you're asking why a series instead of a movie, well, because I think the franchise would work well in a series.

The story in Prometheus and Covenant is total trash and not worth caring about, much less connecting to.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's not just Aliens, I'm expecting/hoping for Androids too so maybe we'll get some Weyland beta-version Androids, probably origins since the timeline is Earth/not too far future. Like the Nostromo crew was surprised Ash was an android but they weren't apparently surprised at the existence of androids. Also whenever I watch Rasied by Wolves and they have white blooded androids I keep mentally retcon-ing head canon-ing it into the Alien-verse.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  22. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The 'official' timeline (which I know can be altered/ignored) has Wayland inventing their prototype atmospheric processors in 2016 - effectively saving the planet from global warming - and builds the first android in 2025. The first interstellar spaceship is built in 2034.

23. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013

Prometheus
    and Covenant are the two most frustrating genre films in memory. I LOVE David as a character; and unlike many, am keen on the conceit that the Alien is the masterpiece of a nihilist raging against God, the Engineers and Man.

But everything else about those movies is so riddled with flaw upon flaw...I just can't reconcile the brilliance with the mediocrity. It's the rare occasion where I would happily read a well-written fan-fiction reconception, just to get a perfected version of a nifty idea.

24. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I really liked Prometheus. I understand why people criticize it, the lore doesn't connect very directly to the original trilogy and the scares get kinda goofy at times, but I thought the performances were great, and the themes are the most interesting of the franchise. It's also just a beautifully crafted film, and one of the few post-Avatar films that looked amazing in 3D.

Not going to get my hopes up for Disney Alien, but it's piqued my curiosity. Is Scott going to be a producer for it? I enjoyed his HBO series Raised By Wolves.

25. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Prometheus was ok. So was Covenant. But for me after the first 2 it's a downhill slope. The first 2 are in my top 10 of all time.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.