main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Expanse (book and TV and...video game series?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Nov 30, 2014.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Literally everyone involved has said they're on it, including the authors. It's an Alcon investigation, not an Amazon investigation. If it's a mealy-mouthed end, they're gonna lose basically all of the fanbase goodwill...

2. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah that's the thing here, the evidence is overwhelming. It impacts the fandom directly. Even though Alex is a decent character and Cas Anvar has done a good job playing him he's not exactly a cornerstone of the show, and they've recast roles before. If Alcon tries to sweep it under the rug people are going to riot. This is a progressive show and has a (relatively speaking) progressive fanbase.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I didn't expect big changes for the coming season due to Anvar's allegations, now the next one yes.

Also 125 pages into Tiamat's Wrath and still no Amos Burton. This is fairly alarming.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  4. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Keep reading.

5. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    As soon as Teresa talked about sneaking out to see Timothy I remembered that that was Amos. My reaction was "Holy ****! He's on Laconia and so damn close to Holden!" Makes me think they've got some kind of communication going on. Still it was a waste of 143 pages to not see him. :p

I really enjoy seeing Amos interact with kids.

6. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Putting that together was a really cool moment for me - Daniel and Ty did a great job with that reveal.

7. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Well damn, not sure if I'm more angry or disappointed in this bad, very bad development.

8. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Okay leisurely finished Tiamat's Wrath and I just have to express my rollercoaster emotions from this incredible book. Gotta give credit to the authors for being so damn good at manipulating my emotions to such a degree. lol

spoiler tag for any who haven't read the books and I highly recommend them
    You know I was anxious to see Amos, was frustrated it took so long and then shocked and angered by the authors just unceremoniously killing him off like that. I had literally slammed the book closed, put it down and had to walk away. I couldn't understand how the authors could think that would be a good ending for him, yeah I know, he was going to die in violence, but still, it made me mad this way.

Kept reading of course, still enjoying the hell out of it and then Bobbie. Now that death was just perfect to me and I was barely able to hold back my tears, but when we hear of Draper Station, the tears just flowed.

Hearing how Amos's body disappeared and what the alien repair drones were capable of left me just thrilled, and I was just what??? How can this be? Are they really going there, wow. I do love being surprised, though this emotional turmoil was quite a bit exhausting. Love that we'd get a reanimated Amos and had wondered if we wouldn't see Amos again until next book, but figured if we did it would be at the evac point Teresa and Holden were headed to...haha called it and was never so happy to see him at that point.

So much more good in this book, Naomi's rise to war leader, Holden just being himself. Teresa, who I really hope might stick around with the Roci crew, Elvi... what outstanding characters. And those last lines.

Leviathan Falls whoa, can't wait and it has some awfully big shoes to fill.

9. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    So happy you enjoyed it!

If you haven't read the short stories, definitely read those. Strange Dogs sets up a lot of things in Book 8 for example. But they're all well done and worth reading.

10. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Reading the Churn right now and I may have started watching the series again...

11. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, we got 6 seasons of awesome I suppose.

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I guess they're doing Nemesis Games and Babylon's Ashes for this season which can work. No idea how they make both Tiamat's Wrath and the upcoming Leviathan Falls work for the final season,
    unless they cut out Laconia completely and just go with the protomolecule threat itself.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Nah, I generally assume they'll end with Book 6 and skip the... stuff after.

15. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah I forgot about Persepolis Rising. You have to cut out the
    Laconia plot completely and I suppose staple in the protomolecule endgame whatever it may be for it to work. Which is a shame because I was really looking forward to Duarte,Bobby's throwdown with the Tempest on screen, and the entire diamond solar system trap

16. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, what dp said is my guess for the next two seasons. Six seasons is still a good run for a tv show, so no complaints.

io9 has an exclusive clip for season 5 that looks pretty cool.

17. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Happy to hear a 6th season and I can understand why leave it there, if they're stopping before the big time jump. It's not like they can't decide to go again in another 10+ years (wishful thinking on my part)

I wonder who'll they'll have play Alex in the 6th season.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Or they could kill him off.

19. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I suspect they'll either recast or write him off.

Count Yubnub and Darth McClain like this.
  20. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm watching Season 4 in prep for Season 5 and just got to episode 4. The guy they got for Marco Inaros is so freaking good. The scene where he pleads his case to the OPA is so vital to get right and he just knocks it out of the park.

Can't wait for Season 5! Rocks!

Healer_Leona likes this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  22. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Exactly what I wanted to hear. Sounds like Alcon has some other plans for this franchise past the end of S6 so I'll just wait to see what that is exactly.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I specifically noted that when the announcement was made as well -- and I've been thinking movie for the finale.

"Six seasons and a movie!"

24. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Not cancelled, just paused is great to hear!

Though part of me wants them then to show us more of the Roci goings on before then 3 decades jump, though there's so much to see from the books... either way a movie just can't do it justice.

One more day!!!!!

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well that’s off to a very interesting start

especially that last scene of
    Episode 3...