main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Time Period/Era For New Film Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Feb 21, 2018.

?

When do you think the new films will be set

1. Before ANH and after ROTS - Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Before TPM- Weiss/Benioff

100 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. After ROTJ and before TFA- Weiss/Benioff

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. After IX- Weiss/Benioff

12 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Before ANH and after ROTS- RJ trilogy

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Before TPM- RJ Trilogy

29 vote(s)
    18.8%
  7. After ROTJ and before TFA- RJ trilogy

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. After IX- RJ trilogy

68 vote(s)
    44.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I am here to guard truth and justice.
    [​IMG]

I am here to rule and spread darkness.
    [​IMG]

Look, mine lights up!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    InterestingLurker likes this.
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Looks terrible,:cool:

Avnar likes this.
  3. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Is rian Johnson trilogy still in the cards?

I was trying to find more news about it, and I couldn’t find anything related to it.

4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I'm really starting to warm to the idea of High Republic films...never thought I would say that! The artwork is really cool

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    He's all Knives Out II at the moment.
    If it happens some day, it's not happening soon.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Rough and broad doesn't mean two-handed. Such as the Roman gladius, for example. I'm just talking visually less refined than the lightsaber we know.

7. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Damn, I reminder that I still need to catch up on Berserk.

Also, what's Berserk doing in a Star Wars forum!?

:p

8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    How about setting it a long time ago...?

9. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    That poll needs to change, way outdated now.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Where did she say she wants to make this? This is what I’ve been wanting pls!

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. Darth Polo

Darth Polo Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2020
    I really want the time period to be one where the Jedi are more in charge in the beginning and the Sith overthrow them like with the prequels. The original trilogy had the Sith in charge and the prequel had the Jedi in charge. Not sure how people would rate the sequel trilogy, sure seemed the Sith were with the upper hand. It only seems natural the next trilogy would have the Jedi more powerful at the start and by the end be the weaker entity.

12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
  13. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Crod1992 and chris hayes like this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I still can’t believe Star Wars hasn’t shot in far southern Italy (perhaps the latest Bond movie will help change that). The coastal rock formations alone, such as along Capo Vaticano, scream Star Wars. The economy could eventually use a jolt too...

Jedi_Prophet77 likes this.
  15. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Prediction time! I'm gonna put my money on the new films being a Thrawn Trilogy, very loosely adapted from the Zahn books. I think it will focus on characters from The Mandalorian - Din Djarin, Bo Katan, Ahsoka etc. - rather than the Big 3, though they may have cameos if Disney decides to recast or use de-aging.

It just seems a safe choice right now (and I don't mean that in a bad way). The Mandalorian is really popular and not divisive like the ST was and it has also been leaving trails that could be picked up in future projects. Thrawn's reappearance and the battle for Mandalore between the Mandalorians and the Imperial Remnant seem like they would be better on the big screen.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. midnighttoker923

midnighttoker923 Jedi Padawan

Dec 7, 2020
    I hope Waititi's movie is set hundreds or thousands of years in the past or future, so not involving any characters we've seen so far. Except maybe Yoda if it's High Republic era or older Grogu if it's hundreds of years in the future.

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Hopefully his movie concept is announced this week. [face_praying]

18. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I still kind of have a strange hope that Taika's film winds up being a podracing movie. Don't know why. Just sounds fun to me, and sounds right up his alley. I don't care what era it is set in, though post-RotJ might be neat for something like that.

GregMcP and Kyle_Katarn_JK like this.
  19. Kyle_Katarn_JK

Kyle_Katarn_JK Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2020
    I would really like to see movies with Darth Revan and other characters from KOTOR games. Star Wars is very big universe!

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I have a feeling the Chiss will be a main villain in whatever new series of films is being cooked up...

And then separately, we'll get plans for an "origin of the Jedi" movie or show.

21. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If we're going to look at the direction they're taking, I think it's important to look at what influences Taika Waititi's worldview. He's Māori and has openly talked about experiencing racism growing up in New Zealand, despite stating he believes it's "the best place on Earth," and that's an interesting dichotomy between reconciling the colonialist history of a place and the enduring systemic issues that it faces and that you've been confronted with personally, with the parts about it that you love. You scratched against those things in Thor: Ragnorok, with Hela being a reckoning for Asgard in facing the truth of its own violent history and path to prosperity.

I'm not saying he'll necessarily go that route with his Star Wars film, there are a ton of other things he's expressed an interest in exploring, but for the sake of argument what does a Star Wars movie about colonialism, about peeling pack the romanticized filters on a darker truth look like? Who are the heroes and villains in that story, what does the central conflict revolve around, etc.?

EDIT: The closest Star Wars has really come to addressing either of these issues is The Phantom Menace briefly touching on the relationship between the Naboo and the indigenous Gungans, and Han's "It's their planet, we're the hostiles" comment in Solo. In a series that revolves around war, conflict, and an Empire, I think there's room to explore actual imperialism.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I definitely think Rogue Squadron will be set after the ST and will actually show what the state of the galaxy is cause TROS completely failed to show that.

Going by the logo for Taika's Star Wars film looking kind of Stone Age, the Tho Yor behind Kathy and someone at Lucasfilm saying to read Dawn of the Jedi I believe his film/trilogy/series of films will show the beginning of the Jedi.

Also we know Lucasfilm wants to tell that story because D&D's films was going to be that before they left.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  23. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I agree, I think Rogue Squadron will definitely take place post-TROS. It'll allow Patty to introduce and write new characters while also acknowledging what came before with the Rogue Squadron novels. I wouldn't be surprised if an older Corran Horn, Gavin Darklighter, etc shows up in the film as a senior member of the revived Rogue Squadron, with their post-ROTJ stories inspired by Legends being told in a future book, TV series, video game, etc.

Have Lawson come back as Wedge to take on the role of mentor, and then have the young recruits get their skills tested as they try to retake Coruscant from the last holdouts of the First Order, who have burrowed themselves into the city.

Taika's film I think will revolve around the time period where the Force and/or Jedi spread across the galaxy. Kathleen mentioned the "25,000 year" timeline of the Star Wars universe, and I think that Taika's film maybe take place in year zero, so to speak. Take some aspects of the Dawn of the Jedi stories (the Tho Yors transporting ancient Jedi across the galaxy, the emergence of force users, etc), combine them with aspects of Force history that George never got to tell (the Whills residing as microscopic beings inside every person's midichlorians, the history of the Celestials on Mortis, etc), and I think that's a recipe for a very unique, weird, but potentially great story that is perfect for Taika. These concepts are so ridiculous and silly that only someone like him can tell it in a way that lets the audience both laugh AND buy into it as a serious and important part of the Star Wars lore and spirit.

24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Cave Jedi, as the Taika's logo suggests.
    Stretch to timeline forwards and backwards. I hope so very much.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It's been confirmed by Lucasfilm to take place post-ST.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    El_Machete12 likes this.