main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.07 - Chapter 15 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 10, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 18, 2020.
  1. 10

18.8%
  2. 9

37.0%
  3. 8

26.8%
  4. 7

13.0%
  5. 6

3.6%
  6. 5

0.7%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    That's actually why I posted it, as opposed to a picture of a different type of military oiler/tanker.

I'll admit, it might be confusing to some as in Star Wars "juggernaut" has always meant big, armed Flying Elephant-style tanks, and not unarmed transport trucks, but presumably this is just a stripped-down varient of an A6 or an A9 (or a different type altogether) - it's actually a nice touch, I think, as it fleshes out the Imperial Army in a nice way by plugging up gaps it's array of critical support vechicals.

I'd agree, it would be immersion-breaking levels of stupid - if the scanner actually provided them with that information.

But as myself and others have stated (several times now, lol) though, it does'nt; we see Mando put in a code cynider, and based on A) how those have been established to work for like, decades now and B) the fact that it was seemingly intergral to their operation then it's that that gets you acess to the system, not the scanner.

As for whether or not the facial scan is insufficiant as an extra layer of security, well this is Star Wars, were security technology has always been craptastic, so if it is, so what? It fits with the universe - in the real-world you would even be able to get the deployment locations of military vessels off a public terminal in an army base's cafeteria.

Wow, we have a whole thread just for that?

We really are nerds, are'nt we? One has to wonder if there's any helping us:p

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Seismic charges! I cheered at the screen!

3. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    correction, that's "would'nt" be able to get the deployment locations of military vessels off a public terminal in an army base's cafeteria, not "would"

4. Darth Hood

Darth Hood Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    I'm trying to think of the security systems we've seen in SW and the best the empire has seems to be Scarif and the palm scanner to get into the records vault

As far as R2D2 and the DS computer, I don't think it was designed to protect against an invading astromech Droid in mind. In fact the empires constantly fails to implement security against infiltrating spies. Helpful for the plot, but in universe it shows how arrogant they are

TadoFett likes this.
  5. aewhistory

aewhistory Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2019
    That’s an interesting take and, if memory serves, something I’ve heard before. This is merely my opinion but I think GL came across that way because he has come to believe the position he has adopted since ‘83. After all, almost everyone at some point in their lives changes their memory of events by telling and retelling of events until even they themselves believe the new truth. Perhaps this sounds like I am really digging into GL and that isn’t fair. I, for one, owe him decades of enjoyment. GL is human though and prone to the same rewriting of history that we all do. To be honest, if I believed one thing for 5-6 years and then changed my POV and believed something else for 37 years I can honestly say it would be the latter, not the former, that would become my “reality.”

Out of curiosity, can anyone think of an example where GL said Star Wars was kids fare prior to 1982-3? I don’t want to accuse GL of having a faulty memory and try to claim mine is perfect..... I’m only nearly perfect. :p

K2771991 likes this.
  6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Dear Moff Gideon.

I’m coming for your ass.

Yours truly,
    The Mandalorian

aewhistory, Zoe Con, TadoFett and 4 others like this.
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It’s a great scene...

...But I’m hoping there’s going to be a clever strategic reason behind it in next episode. Some kind of Kansas City shuffle attempted by Din and co., that can serve to excuse Gideon’s forces not crushing the in a direct approach (since that would preserve the fearsome ness of Gideon’s status as a warlord) only for Gideon to prove himself to capable even when trapped and defeat Din’s trap.

Shadao, Sarge, dick rodgers and 4 others like this.
  8. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I'm not sure why so many of you guys seemingly have an issue with the (lack of) strategic sense in sending that message; he's a bounty hunter, not a general, lol.

It's like Liam Neeson in Taken threatening the guy over the phone with his "very particuler set of skills." He's angry becuase you kidnapped his kid and he's not some sort of cunning tactician whose going to stop and think about the consqences of his words, so it's perfectly in-character.

Besides, if anything the threat will make Gideon angry or scared (if it does anything), and angry/scared peaple make mistakes. So if you guys need to imagine a "strategic" reason for the message, just headcanon that making Gideon angry so he'd mess up was the goal or something. *shrug*

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Shadao, Aah Fisto, Zoe Con and 3 others like this.
  9. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I have to say, this was my favorite episode of the season, and I never would have guessed that when the foreshadowing of “break Mayfield out and use him to get the location of Moff Gideon” turned out to be the exact description of the plot. I thought Mayfield was perfectly fine for what his role was in season 1, but I didn’t really care about him as a character and I certainly didn’t think he could carry an episode himself. Honestly I was annoyed they were breaking that scuzzball out of his well-deserved prison sentence in the first place, even if it was for the "greater good". Yet in just one episode I felt completely different by the end when he "died in the explosion" and happily wandered off into the woods on some backwater planet with seemingly nothing but the clothes on his back. He grew into a character for which that ending felt exceedingly appropriate. I enjoyed the banter at the beginning because it felt really in character for him but the episode really hit its stride when they passed the burning hulls of the failed runs and had the "oh **** what have we got ourselves into moment". Mando tries to reassure Mayfield that as long as they simply avoid any user error they'll be totally fine but the frantic chatter over the coms followed by the massive explosion up ahead drives home the point that there's more going on here than just reckless driving. The controllers oh so helpful advice is to "proceed with caution"[face_rofl]. (Reminds me of that Brian Regan joke, "'Blasting Zone ahead'? Shouldn't that read 'road closed'??") The battle with the "pirates" was one of the better action scenes the show has done even if their numbers and arrival pattern felt a bit too scripted and unnatural. It also gave the actual Imperials a chance to display competence which is always welcome. The scenes inside the base were top notch for the reasons many of you have already listed so I’m going to try and wrap this post up because I’m too tired to spell them all out at the moment. The scanner stuff was a bit hard to follow during the episode but once it played out it wasn’t too tough piece together retroactively. I have more thoughts but I’ll get to them later as this post is already all over the place as it is.
    TLDR: this episode encapsulates everything that makes The Mandalorian peak Star Wars content for me. 10/10 and I didn’t even know I wanted it. Bring on the finale and make it at least an hour!

10. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Those two guys in the cafeteria just wanted to eat their lunch in peace.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    K2771991, Sarge, LedReader and 6 others like this.
  11. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    I guess I was one of the few that didn't care for this episode. The pirate fight felt drawn out and unnecessary. And that whole scene with Bill Burrs character(don't remember his name) didn't seem well thought out. What was the point of giving that speech about how every stormtrooper has a family and friends, if he was just going to shoot the officer and then blow up the plant anyway killing everybody inside? I feel like they could have just had boba find out where Gideon is off screen and skipped this episode all together. Very poorly done episode in my opinion

but at least the seismic charge was cool [face_whistling]

12. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Mayfield (that's Bur's characters name) shot Hess becuase he got pissed off/triggered by how callous the latter was being regarding getting his unit killed, and after that it became unavoidable to engage in a firefight. Shooting everyone was'nt the plan, it was just a consqence of Mayfield letting his temper get the better of him.

13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s actually not his name. It’s Mayfeld. ;)

But I agree. It’s like people expect characters in-universe to be aware of the episode’s script. The intention was to sneak in and sneak out, not start a desperate firefight and then blow the place up. That was all an accident based on the wrong Imperial officer being in that mess hall.

godisawesome , TadoFett and K2771991 like this.
  14. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Yeah, well...feld is German for field, so...um...technically his name is Mayfield and I'm not wrong![face_bleh]

15. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    One interesting point raised by the latest episode, is that those pirates actually wanted to explode the shipments, so do this mean they are good guys fighting against the Imperials?

If this is so, then the life of the Child is already costing the lifes of good guys?

Sarge, dick rodgers and TadoFett like this.
  16. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    "Good guys" can be relative, but anyway pirates don't always steal - maybe they have a refinery somewhere else on the planet and they just want to make sure there's no competition, or they've been hired by the competition; or heck, maybe their just in it for the chaos.

TadoFett, RetropME and Ricardo Funes like this.
  17. Gallandro007

Gallandro007 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2014
    Sorry should have made it clearer.
    The mess hall scene was dangerous up until Mayfield shot the officer.

Then like the Siege episode escape any tension evaporates...

Because the baddies cant shoot for toffees..

18. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    I said it in the other thread but I want to say it here again after Bill burr mentioning of operation Cinder which was heavily featured in the video games, I am going to up my chances of cal from Jedi fallen order appearing to 20%.

19. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    You’re not wrong.

Unfortunately, Mando was killing pirates against the Empire.

@Christopher Blair Good use of continuity.

TadoFett and Ricardo Funes like this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Well, the first stormtrooper that got shot was holding a lunch tray, so let's not be too hard on him at least. ;)

21. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I kinda like the thought that the “pirates” are local rebels, it kinda fits with the thematics of the rest of the episode. Any other day and they’d be heroes, but unfortunately on this particular day and with no way of knowing it, they found their way inbetween Din and his kid.

22. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    Very good episode, and season too, friday will be a huge day!

23. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    That's a good point. On any other day they might be more nuanced but they were standing in the way of finding Grogu so they had to go.

24. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    I’ll have to rewatch I only watched the episode once. I don’t doubt you if this is actually the case it does make it Less stupid for sure. But then my question is this, if Mando has this code cylinder that will provide the location of Gideon, why does he need Mayfeld in the first place? Thanks for your response.

25. Boba Fett.

Boba Fett. Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 14, 2020