main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jul 7, 2020.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I think it's a bit too convenient to structure this as though the algorithms are doing anything more than mirroring people's own tendencies (in aggregate) in that regard. I think this showed up well a while back when there was a commercial during the Superbowl that used the term "likeagirl", and a huge part of the story eventually became the internet backlash against it and all those evil people. But there was very little initial response about that on Twitter, until there were stories saying that there were people offended about it on Twitter and so it created it as much as anything else. At some point, algorithms were showing what was popular, but the whole thing was so manufactured in general. The half dozen morons could've been ignored, but people called attention to it and made it into a thing.

It's not that algorithms love outrage, it's that people love outrage. Algorithms reflect what people love, even if they don't always own up to it.

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  2. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I think you can also say: algorithms reflect what people "love to hate" as well. It's almost like being in an abusive relationship as well, or being in some kind of addiction.

This reminds me as well that I should watch "Social Dilemma" after all this time of being in my to-do list. Thank god I don't have Twitter.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I have twitter solely for game tape breakdowns by experts during football games :p

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    SJWs (yes I'm going to use the pejorative on people acting this stupid) are going crazy on Twitter over a half-white half-lebanese actress portraying a Turkish Muslim character in a Marvel thing. Apparently her big sin is that she's not Muslim herself.

Have these people never understood that an actor is playing something they're not? You don't need to be Muslim to portray one on screen. Aasif Mandvi is a Muslim in real life and he portrayed an Atheist in a tv show. Oded Fehr is Jewish and he portrayed the Muslim Medjai in the 1999 Mummy movie.

I'm also very disturbed by how progressives have absolutely negated the poc status of the actress. They're out here saying someone named "Yasmeen" is white passing because her father is white. Do they even think before talking?

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Who are they talking about though?

The girl playing Kamala Khan is a first-generation Pakistani-Canadian whose parents are Muslim... the whole creative team are women, and only one of them is a white woman (the rest are Muslim and/or Pakistani, I believe). Who are they complaining about?

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Are they mad that no actual Wakandians were cast as Wakandians?

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Just for the record, in JCC the Movie, no one but me, or Danny DeVito is allowed to play me.

And only if he first comes out as Foxkin.

godisawesome and Diggy like this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Sadly, if casting directors went 1:1 Everlast would be ruining my biopic. I'd much prefer to be played by Octavia Spencer.

9. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Most unfortunate line in this clip has to be “everyone can see themselves in her”

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    The enthusiasm for representation in ads has gotten so over-the-top that it's difficult to see it as genuine. Like most people, I'm happy to see the progress we have made on this issue in the recent few years, but they can't manage to keep forever the hype as high as it was when there were the first groundbreaking news. Inevitably people are getting used to it, which is actually what's supposed to be the final goal.

Point Given and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Nothing's up, you just check the JCC, and this topic is on the front page. You click it and the news is that Vivec is outraged about a person being outraged at something that's very insignificant, by the looks of it. He refers to "SJWs" and "they" and "progressives", but all I see is the one stupid tweet.

Somebody help me, I fail to see how any of this is worthy of my precious time.

Outsourced likes this.
  12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    They're complaining about a half white half Lebanese Christian playing the best friend.

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The seemingly inevitable course of these kinds of threads is one or two people finding reasons to be perpetually worked up, usually because such a sentiment drive them to make the thread in the first place. Only rarely does it interface meaningfully with public discourse, as opposed to one person on a Star Wars website being enraged at other equally anonymous and obscure loan individuals that we would also take for a huge trend if we frequented the Babylon 5/Deep Space Nine crossover fan fiction board where this originated or whatever.

14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    "This thread is a waste of time," says Wocky, wasting his time every few weeks

15. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I utterly despite that "white" and "Muslim" are being treated as though they're mutually exclusive concepts.

16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    My biggest issue with all this is that these people are insisting on calling her white and refusing to acknowledge that she's mixed race and that mixed race people are different from white people. We have different lives than white people. @SuperWatto as far as I know you're not mixed race so maybe you don't see why this is angering, but I've routinely had people tell me I'm not Desi because in some pictures the lighting makes me whiter looking than normal.

CT-867-5309 and Point Given like this.
  17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Lord Vivec
    Oh I'm whiter than a ghost, but my post was just a reply to Punk's video, in which they really seem a bit over-excited about the mere fact that the actress is Pakistani.

18. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I think varying definitions of 'white' are certainly a part of this. Like, looking through the pictures of the presidents of Lebanon; I don't see any that I wouldn't call white. People don't usually count Ralph Nader as an example of a non-white presidential candidate, either.

19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah i meant Superwatto lol my bad.
    You still haven't made a graph of how white I am based of my 23andMe results. That's a project you've had YEARS to do. :p

vncredleader, Darth Punk and 3sm1r like this.
  20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm always in your thoughts

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    My 23andMe results are... about as expected. I'm pretty sure you could guess them reasonably. :p

22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    lol probably. I posted mine somewhere but it's updated since then

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-ancestry-and-ethnicity-thread.50044744/page-3#post-57086853

23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Half man, half biscuit.

gezvader28 likes this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I'm 98% Ashkenazi Jew, 2% Other Jew. :p

Lordban likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My sister recently did 23andme we are like 1% Ashkenazi Jew. I don’t even know what that would be. Great great great grandparent?

That was literally the only thing I found out that was interesting other than that it was just Ukraine and Western Europe.