main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Darth Vader in Kenobi Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RX_Sith, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Absolutely. That is why I think Vader will be in Obi-Wan's nightmares, not the real Vader.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That would be interesting if the whole idea of the plot of the show came from that statement in ROTJ. It wouldn't be the first time brief movie dialogue gave an idea for a whole SW story- that's what R1 was.

3. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Obi-Wan trying to reason with Anakin on the platform on Mustafar is an example of believing there is still good in Anakin. Obi-Wan not being able to bring himself to deliver the fatal blow to Anakin on Mustafar is an example of believing there is still good in Anakin. Obi-Wan doesn't do either if he thinks Anakin is a lost cause. And I would think Anakin is smart enough to recognize this, which is why he can say Obi-Wan once thought as you do in response to Luke's plea of there still being good in him, without there being some big reveal moment of Obi-Wan explicitly telling Vader, I believe there is still good in you..

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  4. darth_of_denmark

darth_of_denmark Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    I have a bad feeling about this...Unless Vader is only shown in flash backs and/or dreams or visions.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  5. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    This is Obi Wan's show, not Vader's. A couple of appearances, actually only one is needed really, and having James Earl Jones doing the voice is the only way this will work.

DarthKegs likes this.
  6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The idea of Hayden coming back is what is great. However, it seems like the Empire/Imperial Remnant is gonna be a major antagonist in most of these upcoming shows given the era they are set in. And outside of Vader, I don't care about Obi-Wan being on the Empire's radar like that. I hope they have an A'Sharad Hett-like antagonist. A Jedi that Obi-Wan knew that wants revenge on Skywalker by killing his offspring is a great conflict imo.

7. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    ''When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master''

It's hard to say a lot of things has changed since their last meeting if it just happens so casually at any time between RotS and ANH.

8. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Before the prequels, or heck even before TESB, what did fans think about Obi-Wan and Darth Vader’s backstory?

Leia mentions Obi-Wan fought alongside her father in the Clone Wars, but he seems to have disappeared from action way back then, which is what we eventually saw in the prequels.

Or was there a sense that, regardless of when he retired, he had an ongoing conflict with Vader? Beyond just the one significant duel, I mean.

9. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Was probably posted here but if not there was some good info in this:
    https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news...otage-description-sizzle-darth-vader-rematch/

It’s pretty cool that there are different ways for different fans to have their own unique setup experience to the OT now. I personally love the addition of Rogue One to the setup of ANH and I think it’s cool that some fans for reasons unique to them may end up just having the Kenobi series snd Rogue One be their setup to the OT. For others it may just be the prequels. For others the prequels, the Clone Wars, etc. for others, it’s all of the content. There’s loads of content to lead into the OT in different ways depending on what one wants to experience and what era or plot development interests them most. Pretty cool.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Ubraniff Zalkaz and TCF-1138 like this.
  10. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    Prior to the prequels there was no point of reference... only that it had been years since the two had met. There was always the assumption of a deep history though. Without knowing that Vader = Anakin you almost have to assume multiple prior clashes though because the story was Obi Wan and Anakin battled him. Vader is my favorite character so I'm not exactly objective when it comes to bringing him back... it just needs to be told well enough to fit and, just as important, I need him to be the cold ruthless Sith Lord he was. No attempts to try and humanize him beyond what's already been done.

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Think as in know? The first real backstory of any kind was from Lucas' interview in Rolling Stone from 1977:

https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/george-lucas-the-wizard-of-star-wars-2-232011/

Why does Darth Vader breathe so heavily?
    I had wanted to do that and tie it in with the dialogue.

What’s the story?
    It’s about Ben and Luke’s father and Vader when they are young Jedi knights. But Vader kills Luke’s father, then Ben and Vader have a confrontation, just like they have in Star Wars, and Ben almost kills Vader. As a matter of fact, he falls into a volcanic pit and gets fried and is one destroyed being. That’s why he has to wear the suit with a mask, because it’s a breathing mask. It’s like a walking iron lung. His face is all horrible inside. I was going to shoot a close-up of Vader where you could see the inside of his face, but then we said, no, no, it would destroy the mystique of the whole thing.

Cyber Spark, Shadao and Riv_Shiel like this.
  12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The PT is already taking on the "classic" stature I always thought it would despite the hate it got from some. While it will always be behind the OT just about everywhere in the fanbase, it managed to carve a niche as core SW that the ST never will.

This is really going to be PT heavy. Hayden and Ewan. A Vader brooding in his chamber (over the events of the PT)? Obi trying to turn him back?

This is like the PT Part 4.

With so much plot material possibly related to the PT, I wonder what other characters from the PT we will see.

Cyber Spark, Shamear and Deliveranze like this.
  13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Random thought.

What if Vader pulls a Last Jedi Luke trick?
    He appears before Obi-Wan, looking like Anakin, and they talk. Exchange verbal blows.
    But Obi is in his hut on Tatooine. Anakin is floating in bacta back on Mustafar.

Too corny? Too repetitive?

14. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    Wouldn’t that then give away that he’s on tatooine ?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  15. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    The problem is it killed Luke and, despite his age, he was in reasonably good health. Vader's in a respirator suit. I don't think he'd survive it.

However, it could be possible that Sid links Vader and Obi Wan, like Snoke did to Rey and Ren, hoping to flush out the Jedi. This way the two could talk without giving away Obi Wan's location.

Shadao likes this.
  16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't think that kind of TLJ meeting is popular with the fans. I don't think it was a horrible movie, but those scenes just don't feel like SW.

The brief vision is fine (Like Ben telling Luke to go to Dagobah).

Shamear and ConservativeJedi321 like this.
  17. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    What follows is NOT a versus post. It’s a reflection and assessment post on the Kenobi series and its potential to be different things for different people and hopefully help unite more people to love Star Wars.

It’s actually very clever of Kennedy and Lucasfilm. For me, the Kenobi series can become almost an episode 3.5 and honor and enhance Lucas last works but for some of my friends who had more significant issues with Lucas last works the Kenobi series, with updated -writing, acting, direction, and 2020’s more seamless integration of CG and practical effects can be something else entirely. But by choosing to cast the same actors, in a slightly later timeline, Lucasfilm can successfully avoid media claims that they are seeking a pseudo-soft reboot on Lucas’ last works and can instead sell it as an honoring and as an enhancement of those films to those of us who love them. Meanwhile those who didn’t feel that way about them may feel like after the first teaser or trailer that many of their criticisms were heard. Lucasfilm has attempted this same balancing act of both honoring a controversial past while also seemingly listening to some of the biggest criticisms of that controversial past. It can be a real balancing act challenge to pull off but I feel that they’ve done so successfully before and I’m optimistic that this particular project could be their best attempt at this concept yet. If they pull this off the way I think they could my hope is that some people go back and revisit ROTS, at a minimum, for the first time in years and see its numerous strengths and that more prequel references become as mainstream as Mandalorian references currently are. For those where that won’t be possible... even being able to see the end of ROTJ with Hayden and feeling less scorn than they presently do... could be a helpful step in increasing fan unification. So, it’s got a lot of potential to really help the franchise, the saga and bring more people together I hope.

Sauron_18 and Lee_ like this.
  18. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    No mention of multiple battles between Vader and Obi-Wan. See, even Lucas wanted that to be their only duel before ANH. No wiggle room for a practice warmup duel for Vader.

Master Cado Afu likes this.
  19. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    That sly dog George Lucas, how he was able to keep the truth that Vader was Luke's father secret. Tip of the hat to the Maker. :cool:

As for wiggle room as it relates to the duel... Luke didn't have a sister until he did. And Vader didn't have a Padawan learner until he did.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if George Lucas ever says anything about this. He's close with Kathleen Kennedy. He's I assume somewhat close with Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen.

He'll probably never say anything, but if he ever shows up on set, then that's probably a good sign that he approves.

Thinks to myself: I bet George Lucas likes Kylo Ren. He's Vader's grandkid, how could he not...

20. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    When I asked what people thought or knew back in ’77, I mainly meant their impressions of the story between Kenobi and Vader based on watching the movies alone. I know Lucas has had some version of a backstory for a long while. But I’m always curious about how those movies felt when they first came out.

With this series in mind, I’m picturing those old-school Marvel comics, only going further back and featuring Obi-Wan decades before the movie, fighting against the growing Empire and his fallen student in a series of adventures, losing ally after ally, growing older and becoming more wizardly, and eventually admitting that his enemy has grown too strong and being forced into hiding for good, knowing he has one final card he has yet to play.

21. Iceblazer

Iceblazer Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2020
    "I sense something, a presence I've not felt since....."
    And
    "Obi-Wan is here!"
    I could see this played out with them being in the same close area with each other, but not actually running into each other.
    Vader, sensing someone, but not being able to pinpoint who, and Obi-Wan, finding out through others, that his old padawan has actually survived.
    Second time round in ANH, Vader is able to pinpoint exactly what he was feeling 10 years before.

DannyD likes this.
  22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Well... this is one of those things where "Luke didn't have a living father until he did" :) Luke's father (who I don't believe had the name Anakin yet, or any name at all) appears as a ghost during Luke's knighting ceremony in Leigh Brackett's first draft of the script for what would become The Empire Strikes Back. I don't believe that Vader and Anakin were made out to be one and the same person until the second draft of the script that Lucas wrote and Lawrence Kasdan come in to do a polish on. Star Wars is built much more on revisionism and retconning than it is on intricate planning years in advance, and I honestly think it's much more messy, exciting, and "alive" for it.

Or at least, that's the justification I'll use if/when Obi-Wan and Darth Vader have a rematch in this movie, which was an idea I initially was very opposed to and uncomfortable with, but am starting to warm to.

TCF-1138 , Master Cado Afu and DannyD like this.
  23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well there was Annikin Starkiller whose father Kane was part cyborg. He was alive in early drafts then wasn't by the third draft where Kenobi was originally more akin to the TESB Yoda especially the "crazy wizard" Yoda that Luke first met. That Kenobi was also part cyborg (at least one of his arms IIRC). It was Guinness who suggested to play up the regal and knightly aspects more than the "crazy wizard". That's why looking back on it there really is no actual "crazy wizard" in Obi-Wan. We never really got to see that so maybe they'll actually do some of that in this series.

Lucas really wanted a cyborg in the movie but then it was left aside but somewhere he decided to make Vader the cyborg rather than just a guy in a suit of space armor. In that respect if not for the breathing added in post-production Vader would be no more a cyborg than any of the Stormtroopers were.

More of the actual first draft since what Lucas storylined out for Brackett and what she actually did were quite different. The plan would have always been that Lucas would rewrite everything anyway. He just didn't want to do the first draft after all the anguish of doing The Star Wars first drafts. As it turned out when he had to do it himself it was apparently one of if not the best writing experience he ever had because he did it quickly once he cracked making Anakin and Vader into one person. In a short time most of what we would now recognize as the finished movie was completed.

24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    But Obi-Wan and Anakin are like Yin and Yang...literally, one represents light and the other dark.
    [​IMG]

Anakin/Vader's presence hangs over Obi-Wan/Ben, Owen and Beru Lars like a dark cloud. As much as they want to rid themselves of Anakin Skywalker, they're surrounded by reminders.

25. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I actually really hope they use the opportunity to retcon something officially that many fans have said when others ask the question “Why would Obi-Wan think the son of Anakin Skywalker, going by the same last name, would be safe growing up on his father’s home world with people his father knew?”

The answer many have suggested is that Obi-Wan knew Anakin so well that he believed Anakin would never return to Tatooine as Darth Vader from his own bad memories there and his own perceived failures there.

I would love to have a character flat out ask Obi-Wan the question and have him outright state something like that.

This is the perfect opportunity for little clarifications like that. Similarly, this is the time to flesh out “the plan” he and Yoda had while in hiding. Get into some of that in ways that help both characters and that’s another win.

Lulu Mars likes this.