main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What We Do in the Dark Side: Taika Waititi to direct/co-write new Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PymParticles , May 4, 2020.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    What...

That’s Star Trek, not Star Wars.

2. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Hmmm... is it the same?

[​IMG]

black_saber and Vader Bob like this.
  4. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I might get beaten up, but what I want is for this to be the return of the sequel trilogy cast injected with a breath of fresh air and excitement in the same way Thor Ragarok turned that trilogy around

Lee_ likes this.
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    While I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to that (I'm going to beat you up anyway, just 'cause) I really don't think the ST cast would be willing to come back so soon, and I'd just vastly prefer something wholly original, fresh and new.

6. Rivenblade

Rivenblade Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 21, 2020
    I'm with you. I loved the characters in the ST, just not where some of their stories ended up going (or not going). Give me something fresh with Star Wars trimmings that respects the lore but does something different and memorable, carving out its own path. I think moving away from the Skywalker stories will already make that more likely.

If anything, a show like Rebels has shown that it's possible to create a brand new Star Wars crew and have them be likeable, interesting, and something fans want to follow on a long journey.

IlhamKamaruddin and Lee_ like this.
  7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed it makes sense to use the ST characters. I don't know about immediate focus on them in the content that was announced, but I would agree that they are likable and should have a chance to come back at some point. I don't see the actors going their whole lives and never coming back with this vibrant SW world happening.

I think the post-ST events will be revealed in stories set way afterward (at least in live action content); it appears they are serious that the saga is not going to continue where it left off. That doesn't mean they won't have the opportunity to appear in other SW productions though.

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    If this does end up being post-ST, I don't see how Poe at least doesn't appear. Maybe even Finn.

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think it depends on how close to the ST it is. 50 years later, probably not. 10 years later then yeah, seems like Poe would have to be a player

I don't get the impression those actors are primed to start shooting another SW film from what they say in public, so I don't know.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It’s a big galaxy. Poe could be off doing something else.

Riv_Shiel and El_Machete12 like this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's in the future. We will see Poe and Finn's child.

12. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Taika Waititi turned the Thor franchise around from Natalie Portman leaving and Hemsworth wanting time quit and everyone being miserable, to “Portman returns as Lady Thor, Hemsworth never wants to leave, and ****ing Christian Bale is the main villain”

my read on taika is he’s the guy that everyone in Hollywood will jump at the chance to work with because he’s cool and has a relaxed creatively rewarding work environment.

that’s how you entice Boyega/Isaac/Ridley/hell even Hamill back (Mark is friends with him)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

:D;)

PymParticles likes this.
  14. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  15. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Do we have any idea what this movie may be about?

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
  19. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    Its just occurred to me, I posted this comment in the wrong thread. Meant to post it in the Rogue Squadron thread. Sorry.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

21. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    I deserved that.

22. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm kind of surprised K.K hired Taika considering he does a lot of improv. Apparently 80% of Thor 3 was improv.

That was one of the main reasons Lord and Miller were fired off Solo. If K.K sticks around I wouldn't be surprised in 2024 to hear K.K has fired Taika during filming over "creative differences"

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  23. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    A key difference though is that Lord & Miller were not working off of their own script - Lawrence and Jon Kasdan had a script they were both proud of, and based on the information we common people are privy to, it seems they didn't take too kindly to that script being deviated from as much as it was. That was the case with Thor: Ragnarok, where Waititi injected himself into somebody else's script. Waititi is cowriting this script, however, so I don't think he'll be as prone to improv or deviate from his own story unless something just ends up working better on set than it did on the page.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s also not the case that L&M were fired solely for their improv style. Allegedly, they were misusing time and assets. Using only one or two cameras during a shoot when they should’ve been using multiple rigs to get through the shoot more efficiently and to give ILM and others the ability to work with as much footage as possible. Stuff like that.

PymParticles likes this.
  25. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I really hope taika waitti movie delivers because he did make a joke on Twitter and posted he wanted to ruin Star Wars.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.