main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.07 - Chapter 15 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 10, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 18, 2020.
  1. 10

18.8%
  2. 9

37.0%
  3. 8

26.8%
  4. 7

13.0%
  5. 6

3.6%
  6. 5

0.7%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PintoDog32

PintoDog32 Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2020
    Haha dont get me wrong I didnt feel that bad, it was more shock (lack of better word) the first time I watched it. It's one of my favorite episodes.

TadoFett and DarthFixxxer like this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    He’s a comedian. Known for not giving a **** basically

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    And...he's a comedian. And from eastern Massachusetts. He was born to rag on everything.

4. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I suspect the vagueness around whether the “pirates” are actually Good guys or Bad guys is kind of the point, in that the answer doesn’t actually matter to Din before he kills them. It’s the situation he’s been forced into and it’s not necessarily either of their faults. It’s a rough galaxy out there and sometimes these things happen. Something Mayfeld knows about all too well.

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    He does not feel Star Warsy. Agreed. But at the same time that makes him very Star Warsy.

I felt like Bill Burr brought a similar vibe to his character as Han Solo - but more extreme. Mayfield is cynical about all this weird universe has to offer and disillusioned by it. He's got commentary on the overall situation and why it's wrong. At the same time he's poking holes in the illusion of this fictional world. In a way that makes it more real for me as a viewer. He's really poking holes in the reality in universe. It'd be different if he was commenting on things being special effects, etc. He's talking about the inconsistencies in universe.

And in this episode we find out why Mayfield is like this. He was part of the Empire, a believer, and then the Empire destroyed an entire city with everyone in it, including the Imperial forces there. I get the feeling at one time Mayfield was similar to the Mandalorian in his allegiance.

Peli Motto - who runs the docking bay in Mos Eisley - is all in going with the Star Wars universe. She's all in on the Star Wars universe but she's just not impressed with it. I find both character genuinely funny.

There are a lot of earnest Star Wars characters like Luke, Obi-Wan, and Padme who are responsible and all in to make the universe better. And then we have characters like Jar-Jar, Han Solo, Meeber Gascon.

6. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    I don't really think it's tone deaf, let alone psychopathic - one would assume that Mayfeld killed plenty of Rebel/New Republic soldiers during the war who had families, and at this point he (like Finn) is in a situation of kill or be killed vs fanatics; their no worse then Han who was in the Imperial Army but guns down Imperial soldiers without a care in the world, or Obi-Wan and Yoda, who massacured the soldiers/friends who had just been under their command for the past three years.

My grandfather killed Japanese soldiers during the war. They had families. He did'nt like doing it, but he did it - and I had ancestors in the civil war who may very well have know some of the men they killed during that war, and that did'nt stop them.

[​IMG]

TadoFett likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Patrolling the Mojave almost makes me wish for a nuclear winter

TadoFett and K2771991 like this.
  8. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Patrolling the Outer Rim almost makes me wish for a Starkiller Base...

TadoFett and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    You could at least theoretically survive a nuclear winter :p

TheYodaPagoda, TadoFett and K2771991 like this.
  10. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    truth. it doesn't matter especially now that fobs are irrelevant in season 2. I guess i just find it strange because it basically implies that if you want to hunt down a target, you HAVE to sit outside their home wait for them to dump a used soda can or something to get their DNA. Needing your target's DNA to hunt them down for a bounty is pretty clunky. But it's far less egregious than how I initially thought the Fobs worked, or didn't work.....you get what im saying lol. Thanks for your extremely detailed explanation though, I clearly missed A LOT in regards to this particular plot point last season. Im about to do a super binge starting tonight with season 1 to prep for the FINALE. HYPPPPEEEEE TRAIN CHOOO CHOOOOOO!!!!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Well, I mean you don't need it, it just helps. Naturally not every bounty hunter is going to have the benifit of using them on every hunt, especially if it's a case of them being hired by someone to settle a grudge vs, say, hired by the goverment to track down an escaped convict or something.

As for how the Empire got Baby Yoda's DNA (assuming the fobs are DNA based, that is), I don't know - perhaps the Jedi Temple had a sample of everyone's DNA on file in it's medbay (they'd at least have to have taken samples at one point - when they scanned their midichlorian count) and nobody thought/had the chance to wipe it during the chaos of Order 66? (heck, in Fallen Order the Empire pops up like seemingly right after Cal just about everywhere he goes, so maybe they were using a fob?)

I have Fallout: NV on the PC - I can survive anything as long as I type "tgw" into the console:p

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    TadoFett likes this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Another great episode! I loved the junkyard planet at the start of the show - more locations like that please!
    I'm not a fan of Bill Burr, and I didn't care for his performance last season, but he was brilliant in this episode.
    Richard Brake as an imperial scumbag was a nice surprise. He's one of those character actors who's good in everything, and he was really creepy in this.

Seeing Din first bending the rules, and then outright breaking them to save his kid was amazing, and Pedro Pascal was (obviously) so good at portraying the vulnerability and confusion that this brought him.
    Loved that scene, as well as the message at the end.

And of course, seeing more of Slave I, the Seismic Charge, and Boba's new paint job was icing on the cake.

If I have one complaint about this episode, it's that the action scenes weren't that exciting. But it's really a nitpick when the rest of the episode was so good.

I voted 8, but now that I think about it, I really should have given it a 9.

Can't wait for the season finale on Friday, even though I hate that the season is already coming to a close.

13. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    The only reason I did'nt give it a 10 was becuase I feel like I should save that for any future episodes that I feel clearly surpass it, since 10 is the highest rating we have.

TadoFett and TCF-1138 like this.
  14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I've given two episodes of this season a 10, and two last season. :p

TadoFett likes this.
  15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Ahsoka and first Boba episode are a 10 IMO, the 2 before this one. This one was cool, gave it an 8. Not as good as some of the others though..

DarthFixxxer and TadoFett like this.
  16. PintoDog32

PintoDog32 Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2020
    For those wondering why Mayfeld would blow up the base like that after his talk/speech in the mess hall, remember what Hess said that the rydonium that was brought in by them would do more damage then what happened in Operation Cinder.

17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I've not read the entire thread - did anyone actually wonder about that? I thought it was made very clear in the episode.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The one nitpick I had for this episode was the aliens looked more like Star Trek aliens than Star Wars. They looked like low-budget sci-fi fare.

Krueger and TCF-1138 like this.
  19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Their masks were the only thing o the spiders that said “TV show” instead of “movie” to me.

They’re probably stunt-first masks designed for safety and broadly workable aesthetics.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  20. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    That was my guess as well. I’m fine with it if it means they expand aliens used within the series and we don’t see the same 3 alien varieties in different clothing.

godisawesome likes this.
  21. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Honestly, the Star Trek TOS-esque aliens that we occasionally get on this series don't really bother me. Most of the aliens here are of very high quality, but on the occasion that we do get something a little more simplistic, it kind of adds to the charm, if only because The Mandalorian owes so much of its structure to pulp, episodic, retro television.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  22. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes! Thought that as soon as I saw them.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    They also sounded like the aliens from the episode featuring he AT-ST. These aliens and the aliens from this episode sounds exactly alike in their hollering and grunting.

TadoFett and Sarge like this.
  24. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    How are they "Star Trek/TOS aliens?" Is it the quality of the constumes, becuase they honestly don't look sterotypically Star Trek to me; unless you count the newer shows/movies, sterotypitical Star Trek aliens are just Humans with face paint or fake ears or something like that - IMO these things looked like a cross between Twi'leks and Klatooinians to me, both of which I would call "steroyptically Star Wars."

Peaple made the same complaint about the Vong, as I recall, and I did'nt get it then either *shrug*.

Well, those guys were pirates too...

TadoFett and Bor Mullet like this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I thought they were the best-looking humanoid aliens in the show so far. Something about them played very realistic to me. Their closest cousins (visually) might be Twi-leks or Iktotchi or Klatooinians, and I thought these guys generally looked better.

The Nikto in season 1, episode 1 also sounded exactly the same. I agree on that front. Some of the alien voices they've used (for yelling and grunting and such) has been pretty one-note. Like they just recycled some leftover orc sounds Peter Jackson let them use.

TadoFett likes this.