main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.06 - Chapter 14 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 2, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 11, 2020.
  1. 10

31.9%
  2. 9

26.3%
  3. 8

21.3%
  4. 7

11.3%
  5. 6

5.0%
  6. 5

1.9%
  7. 4

1.9%
  8. 3

0.6%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. As I noted:
    Disagree on Ponda Baba and Evazan in Rogue One. They don't interrupt the story whatsoever. Jyn and Cassian had both spoken about Jedha as a dangerous place/ war zone prior to that moment (which is Jyn's justification for nabbing a blaster from the base on Yavin), and those ruffians just visualize that, and set the tone before they enter the city proper. They could've chosen different ruffians, but decided to go with a couple dudes fans knew. My wife, who hasn't watched A New Hope since the 90s (and then, only once) had no idea that they were from the cantina scene, and just assumed they were the kind of rough characters we were led to expect might be in Jedha. In that context, not only did it NOT disrupt the storytelling, it reinforced it. So, perfectly fine for a casual audience. Though for a fan, it was a bit universe-shrinking, I admit.

C-3PO and R2D2 in Rogue One, on the other hand, were not a natural addition. Personally, I think they should've just been walking along in the hallways on the Tantive IV as the Death Star plans are being delivered to Leia. No reason to pause on them and give them 3PO two lines of dialogue. It is literally the only scene in that whole film that I have an issue with.
    No reason to lower your standards. Rick Famuyiwa is directing the next episode, and he's one of the best. Whatever happens in it, it will likely be much more expertly-directed than Rodriguez's episode. Which I loved, but is not the strongest on a visual level.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    Riv_Shiel likes this.
  2. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    I hated that they shoved Walrus Man and Dr Evazan in there. Such an incredibly forced easter egg. They easily could have been in the background but instead the filmmakers chose to scream "LOOK! THEY BUMPED INTO THAT GUY WITH THE BUTTMOUTH JUST LIKE LUKE DID!" at the audience.

Alien Vanguard likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I would have left it out too, but it worked perfectly fine with the scene if you didn't know who they were. One of those instances where being a fan made that fan service worse than if you weren't a fan.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    DarthRamRod likes this.
  4. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I finally caught up on the thread just in time for the next episode to come out and everyone to move on lol. I have to say, despite the Panda Boba cameo being further towards the "just for the sake of it" end of the spectrum than most of the stuff in The Mandalorian, I don't understand how even that one would genuinely bother anyone. "That exact same scene would have been perfectly fine with 'Ruffians 12 and 13' as the cast but these are ruffians I already know of from that one other scene in a different movie so now I'm upset!". I just don't get it[face_dunno]. Anyways, on to my thoughts on the episode:

+Yet another opening that knocks it out of the park
    +I unfortunately saw a spoiler that Boba Fett was going to be in the episode and yet I still had and OMG moment when the Slave I suddenly appeared. I can only imagine my reaction if I was going in completely blind.
    +I've never had strong feelings on Boba Fett as a character either way but I'm suddenly all in on the Temuera Morrison incarnation of him.
    +Armorless Boba Fett mopping the floor with Stormtroopers using a gaffi stick in live action is a world I never thought I'd live in.
    +Live action mortar trooper. Gave me extreme Galactic Battlegrounds vibes.
    +Dark Troopers! I'm not familiar with their source material but I've seen a few different versions of them pop up in various places and I like this look better than most.
    +Baby Yoda torturing his captors in another of a long line of bread crumbs about his potential for the Dark Side and Moff Gideon being perfectly willing to let him do it.
    +The Empire actually won for once. That's important for the stakes even though I'm obviously rooting for our heroes. The Razor Crest's destruction falls under this category even though a lot rides on how the show chooses to replace what had already become an iconic ship.
    +Grogu did actually use the seeing stone before he was interrupted

-The jetpack thing did kind of stick out as more of an intentional handicap than a natural progression
    -The Stormtroopers were once again completely worthless despite a vast numerical superiority. This show is starting to feel like some of the Wookiepedia entries for battles that come from video games where it's 60 against 3 and the causalities are 60 to 0. I'm totally fine with the individual Stormtroopers being no match for what are already established as elite or even legendary warriors but if they can't make up for that threat with numbers then they'll never be a threat at all. It's very noticeable that they missed every shot until Din arrived at which point they could suddenly aim because their shots don't affect him whatsoever. I was hoping they'd at least get Fennec since Boba and Din have the only thing better than Beskar which is plot armor but they just brought her back from the dead this episode so I guess it wouldn't make much sense to off her either. Even a wound would have been nice.
    -It seemed weird to have Mando identify the cruiser from the ground but then treat it as some sort of reveal for Fett when he broke through the clouds.

I had no issue with the scenery of Tython and I thought shooting the boulder with the E-WEB was the way to go as well when it was clear she was going to push it down the hill so I can't really blame the trooper for being overly stupid on that one.

DurararaFTW, Bor Mullet and Riv_Shiel like this.
  5. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    Quick question:

You're Moff Gideon. You notice that your stormtroopers are getting stomped by three people on the surface, and you see two ships parked down there. Do you

A. Blow up the larger, more heavily armed ship and leave them with the ship you can track anywhere in the galaxy.

B. Blow up the ship that you can track anywhere in the galaxy and leave them with the larger more heavily armed ship.

C. Blow up both ships and leave them stranded on the surface.

I'm thinking Gideon might be more Ozzel than Thrawn.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Sarge and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think Slave I might’ve been well-hidden.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Also as you said they were tracking the Razor Crest so it makes sense that was the one they blew up

MercenaryAce and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Why would Gideon know that there is another ship on the surface?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    They don't rely on a guy with binoculars....

Sarge likes this.
  10. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    I think this question massively overestimated the abilities of an Arquitens class, a ship that the Rebels Ghost has taken head on and destroyed hands down. The Razor Crest is an unshielded craphead, the Slave I is not.

11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's either a plot point or a technical oversight. Logically Gideon's ship was so close that they would have to be complete buffoons not to 'see' the Slave 1.

12. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Gideon must have served with those guys who refused to blow up unoccupied escape pods.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Hey, big blasts like that use up a lot of plasma. Do you think plasma grows on trees?

EntechednReformatted likes this.
  14. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Finally getting around to watching this episode. My thoughts as I watch:

-Love Grogu being fascinated by the shiny ball and Mando chuckling as he says Grogu's name. They are so bonded.

-Great to see Mando getting Grogu to obey and being firm and encouraging him to use the Force.

-"You're very special, kid. We're going to find that place you belong..." Aww, Mando.

-Grogu's ears are so expressive.

-The rocks of the old Jedi Temple does look like a place for sacred rites. Sort of reminds me of a stone circle like Stonehenge in our world.

-I like the landscape of Tython.

-Aww. Grogu interested in the butterfly.

-Oh, wow, Grogu in a sort of blue Force field on the rock.

-The terrain of each planet feels unique.

-It's Boba Fett. Nice introduction as a "simple man making his way in the galaxy" like his father.

-Oh, another ship landing, and Grogu still his Force field.

-The Force field actually repels Mando. Crazy stuff happening.

-The stormtroopers are here. Things are heating up and getting explosive.

-Great detail of Boba tapping the stormtrooper on the shoulder before smashing him in the head.

-Oh, no, the energy of using the Force field was too much for Grogu and he fainted just after Mando leaves.

-Lots of ships exploding.

-The Dark Troopers really raise the stakes of the game, don't they? Wow.

-Yikes, Grogu captured by the Imperials again.

-Mando finding the shiny ball and holding it in his hands hits me right in the feels. Obvious he is thinking about Grogu and worrying about Grogu.

-Ah, Mando planning a prison break.

-Like that version of what hyperspace looks like. Kind of mesmerizing.

-Haha, Grogu throwing those stormtroopers around with the Force.[face_laugh]=D=

-No tazing Grogu. It makes me sad:(

-Heartbreaking shot of Grogu in shackles at the end.

Overall thoughts on the episode: It was cool to see the old Jedi Temple ruins on Tython, and I continue to appreciate how each world has a unique terrain in this TV series. Neat to see Boba Fett and to have him team up with Mando in exchange for getting his armor back. I like how the characters from season 1 are being woven back into the plot of season 2 bit by bit. Works well to have those sort of recurring chapters. The plot also continues to thicken with Grogu being captured and Mando beginning to scheme about a prison break.

Rating for the episode out of 10: I really enjoyed this episode and thought it was excellent overall though perhaps not quite as great as the preceding two. I'd give it a very strong 9 out of 10.

Now off to watch the next episode!

15. MachoManMace

MachoManMace Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2021
    Bye troll

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2021
  16. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    Mods, I'm curious what the troll said.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Something trolly.

18. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Yeah I didn’t see it myself but I assume it was something along the lines of this -

[​IMG]

Bor Mullet and MrDarth0 like this.