main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Rangers of the New Republic

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    True, I just mentioned that part because the Ghost wasn't there as part of the Resistance.

2. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I hope we get an all new cast, with maybe one or two characters from Mando supporting.

It will prob be Cara Dune, but honestly my wild card is Boba Fett. Though working for the New Republic kind of goes against his whole "I owe allegiance to no one but myself" line in chapter 14.

I just really like the idea of Boba fitting that western movie trope of the former bounty hunter/gunslinger becoming a ranger and man of the law.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Maybe we'll get lucky and Cara will die heroically on Friday.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I do think some people are putting to much stock in this show being led by Cara. I don’t think Lucasfilm is that Naive. Plus after her comments it wouldn’t be the best look to give her a more prominent role. You can think whatever you want about her comments but you must admit they are controversial and Disney would rather stay away from that.

5. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Cara , Greef, other characters from the Mandalorian..they could appear on the show, but my money is on these Rangers (aka the main protagonists) being all new characters.

6. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    You know what's fun?

All new characters.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean, all those rumors about Mando characters getting their own shows were probably fed by this. Cara show? This; Boba show? This as well. This being a Mando spinoff, I think that's much more likely than a whole spate of new characters. I'm sure there'll be some, but I'd put money on established faces being the leads, with maybe semi-established faces as well, like X-Wing pilot Carson Teva.

8. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I'm also leaning towards a new (or almost totally new) slate of characters, with an episode in season three introducing these Rangers and serving as a sort of backdoor pilot for this (like what The Magistrate was for the upcoming Ahsoka series).

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean no, but we already know it will tie into Mando so that almost certainly means some Mandalorian characters. I just hope the main cast is new

10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    A cast made up of Mandalorian directors.

Krueger likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Ugh. I'd rather watch Gina.

GregMcP likes this.
  12. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Yes, there will probably be Mando characters. But I find the proposition of all new characters most exciting!

I'm very intrigued by this show because of its Western focus, and I can't wait to see who else is added to the cast.

Especially because Cara and Boba are not lead character/actor material. Timothy Olyphant is, and he would be an amazing lead, but I would expect another lead or two, with those we're familiar with adding support. "Rangers" implies to me a pretty large cast, and possibly regular new cast members, since it would be realistic for supporting characters to be killed often on the frontier.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It would be pretty cool if they appear already in the Season 2 finale! :eek:

14. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I'd expect new ones as well w/past ones popping up.

I'd honestly like to see Bo-Katan again. As far as the cast....I don't know who'd be a good lead. TO is a good example though. It'd have to be a regular cast of...maybe 5-7 as well. Not too much to overwhelm an audience but enough to give a good story.

15. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Nah, I say let the finale wrap up this season's story with the characters we already have in play, rather than throwing in some new gang to help save the day explicitly for the purposes of them getting a spinoff to release down the line.

Sarge likes this.
  16. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I don't know why but I have a feeling that this will have a structure similar to TCW.

Cara Dune can be the equivalent of Ahsoka- the entry point character who is in most but not all episodes.

Every episode could be an anthology telling the story of a different unofficial 'ranger' (eg: cobb vanth/ Bo Katan/ Boba Fett/) doing their bit to preserve the 'law' of the new republic

17. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I say whatever happens in the episode will likely serve the story of The Mandalorian, rangers or no rangers. I'm not counting on anything or ruling anything out.
    We'll see tomorrow!

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    https://collider.com/jon-favreau-rangers-of-the-new-republic-ahsoka-news/

Rangers of the New Republic, that one sounds like it will be spearheaded by Favreau. And what’s more, while both spinoffs are set in the general timeline of The Mandalorian, he let slip that it would be set “right after” the events of Return of the Jedi, a movie that holds a very special place in Favreau’s heart.

“That was a film that we all grew up with. I was an usher in the movie theater back in Queens when Return of the Jedi was playing so I saw that movie dozens and dozens of times at work and now it’s so fun to be continuing the story after that with some of those characters,” Favreau said, a Baby Yoda Tiki mug peeking out behind him.

19. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    So is Dune and Greef not in this?

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Greef no, Dune probaly as she was till with the rebellion-Republic. I doubt we see Din in this. Maybe Ahsoka cameo. We could see Luke in this too to see what he was up too. We could got our live action events of what happened during the aftermath books. Hoping for Mon Mothma to be in this. Wedge is likley. Battle of Jakku.

“That was a film that we all grew up with. I was an usher in the movie theater back in Queens when Return of the Jedi was playing so I saw that movie dozens and dozens of times at work and now it’s so fun to be continuing the story after that with some of those characters,

So the main and side characters from ROTJ, Luke, Leia, Han and Wedge.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    whostheBossk and RetropME like this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am glad that it takes place right after. Who knows we might see Jakku now

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    We could get Leia and mon mothma with early republic politics. Maybe some cameos from aftermath book characters. We already got it in mandalorian and think we might see more of it in this show. The season finale or series might be Jakku. MAybe if this goes 5 seasons we could reach the mandalorian timeline.

23. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    All new cast looking much more likely. Yes!

I'm not sure Cara has ever been described as a Ranger, so perhaps she won't be in this.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Nope she wasn’t and she left the Rebellion soon after it became the NR

25. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Except that's not exactly what he said. He said all of them (Ahsoka, The Mandalorian and Rangers) take place in a similar timeline, which is right after ROTJ. 'Right after' obviously means 5 years after because that's when The Mandalorian is set. Just as it seems The Book of Boba Fett starts right after the end of The Mandalorian season 2 I would guess Ahsoka picks up right after her appearance in The Mandalorian and Rangers some time later.