main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002

I think maybe more cut scenes might of made it all 8 of the movies for the ABC channel, where as deleted scenes made it too just on the DVDS separately.

I just hope we can get all eight of the movies with both the deleted and cut scenes together for the the HBO max streaming. Extended editions final cut.

That would be solid.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I didn't even know there were any extended cuts . I don't think they've ever been on in the UK

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, there are. The extended cut of TPS has actually aired on TV in the US and Canada a few times, but it’s never been release on DVD/iTunes/Google Play as far as know, and I think it’s the only one that got that treatment.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    IMO the extended cuts on Freeform are worse than the regular cuts, for the most part. The absolute worst is the pop quiz bit in COS- drags the story to a screeching halt and doesn't add anything of value. There are a tiny few exceptions, like HBP including some small scenes that explain the deal with Draco and the Room of Requirement, but for the most part the films are fine in their original presentations.

Also kinda ironic that we get the extended cuts here in the States but y'all in the UK where they actually take place don't.

5. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Why do you say that? I believe they make the films better or closer to the novels despite the fact that a lot of material from the books was cut out and never made it to the films.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's not always a great thing to make a movie more like a book. Things have to be trimmed out of necessity, and for the most part those extra scenes in the HP films are pretty unnecessary.

Like, the bit in COS (arguably the worst offender for these scenes lol) where Harry sees Draco and Lucius in Knockturn Alley is pure fluff- it just hammers home traits about the two characters that the rest of the film conveys fine without the scene, plus it undercuts Lucius' introduction in the book shop. Plus the guy playing Borgin is just so terribly over-the-top that it, again, brings the film to a screeching halt.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    One thing I was fine without in COS (my favorite) was the Deathday Party and the Headless Hunt (Nothing against Nick).

Maybe it's my own preference, but I missed the Quidditch plots in the later films. 3 and 6 had some Quidditch but the books went more in depth.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, the quidditch parts in the latter books spend more time getting to know the other students. It felt like a real school... albeit one falling to pieces... but the students and good profs are trying to keep it together with these old pastimes like sports. I can completely understand why the films chose not to focus too much on the other kids (wayyy too many characters), but it's one of the major aspects where the books were better.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  9. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Which is why I am looking forward to the Harry Potter reboot when it happens because maybe we can see more of those details from the books portrayed on screens that didn’t make it to the current cuts of the films both original and extended cuts on the ABC channel,

Like I said in an early post, this could be a big win for the fans of the novels who were disappointed with the film's, and maybe lord of the rings and the hobbit could sometime in the future follow that concept idea of a reboot as well.

10. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I subscribe to the popular opinion that the movies didn't accurately portray Ron. He had his faults in the books, and he wasn't a saint at the end, but he had more loyal and brave moments to even out his moments of fear and pettiness.
    The most famous example is Ron talking back to Snape on Hermione's behalf versus saying "He's got a point."

Another one I can think of on the spot is Ron showing more concern for Harry in the OOTP book after his first detention with Umbridge.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  11. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    SevPrince, black_saber and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Let’s hope this third movie turns out better than the second fantastic beast movie.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ghost like this.
  13. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm pretty sure that Mads will do a better job than Depp. It's not that Depp was bad, he was just so obviously Depp as a character, rather than just the character.

black_saber, Ghost and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh yeah, totally. I watched that first film spoiler-free and wanted to scream so loud when Depp appeared. It's not that he's a bad actor, but it's like... if Colin Farrell turned into Matt Damon. The casting overshadows the character.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm really excited about Mads in this one. Hope the rest of the movie isn't a giant idiotic cluster**** like the second one was.

16. SevPrince

SevPrince Jedi Master star 3

Nov 4, 2016
    I think Depp overshadowed the role plus he wasn't completely owning the role. I think Mads will own the role more.

Ghost likes this.
  17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Mads is the better actor.

black_saber likes this.
  18. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Will David Yates direct the third installment of fantastic beasts like he did with the other two movies?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Maybe the death day party can be filmed for the Harry Potter reboot.

I know that’s what I would hope for in the reboot since almost much the other materials from the books never made it to films. The films basically cut out most of the details from all the books.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The first two films and Deathly Hallows (2 part) weren't too bad, but yeah, it was pretty jarring how much material they cut out in the other films.

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I’d argue that to this day, the most egregious omission in the film series is PoA failing to spell out the who and why of the Marauders’ identities.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I’d agree with that. Prisoner of Azkaban fills in a lot of Harry’s deep backstory through the Marauders’ Map and the movie leaves most of that out.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    In PoA novel, where and who explains the identities?

I understand why it's never spelled out in the film because it's the mystery of the entire film that is revealed in the final act. Also, can we admit that they're just bad nicknames? Moony sounds too much like Moody as in Mad Eye, and Prongs sounds like a fork not a stag.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    There’s a few. The first one is when Snape catches Harry out of bed with the Marauders’ Map and Lupin comes along and takes it. The second is the scene in The Three Broomsticks, with Fudge and the teachers, which actually made it into the movie in a very shortened form, the third is the Shrieking Shack and the fourth is at the end of the book when Lupin gives the map back to Harry and explains that Sirius, James and Wormtail were Animagi.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I haven’t read PoA in a long time. Back in the day, the lack of backstory annoyed me. Today, I don’t really understand how the backstory adds to Harry’s personal narrative- it feels like baggage. I feel like I’m missing something, but can’t remember what.