main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct the Next/Future Star Wars Film(s)?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 14, 2019.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm just the opposite- I think the episode with Ahsoka was the best (written and directed by Filoni) and the Boba episode is the second best.

Nehru_Amidala and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018

I also loved Filoni's Ahsoka episode. In my top 5. I just don't like Rodriguez's style. Even though the episode was fun as heck.

But Famuyiwa is on another level, IMO. Episode 2 last season still being the reigning champion episode for me.

ETA: You'll want to spoiler tag your post, @Lee_

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    ladygrey45 likes this.
  3. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    This actually doesn't make sense, realistically speaking. Johnson has said that he's not interested in writing stories that factor in canon or worldbuilding, so even if you paired him with Filoni, they wouldn't work together well.

Filoni proved with "The Jedi" that he could handle making a movie. If he pulled that off, they should consider letting him do the next trilogy.

4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Did RJ really say that?

Jimbing and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  5. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Of course he didn’t.

Riv_Shiel and Jimbing like this.
  6. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    He's said that about worldbuilding, and that's easy to see in the kinds of movies he makes. Worldbuilding should be understood as traditional storytelling. Johnson is more interested in formal innovation and his characters serve more as structures to convey his voice, as opposed to allowing characters to operate organically based on a functioning psychology.

We can infer from this that canon would matter little to him, as it depends on worldbuilding and respecting traditional storytelling conventions like character. He's the kind of filmmaker who views an existing world as a potential limit to his creative process, and this is why he must change them to fit his style and vision.

We can also see how he thinks about canon from TLJ, where he ignores aspects that JJ set up (canon) and how he chose such a subversive take on Luke.

Jimbing likes this.
  7. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    So he didn’t say it, it is just your opinion on his filmmaking process.

Riv_Shiel, Bor Mullet and Darth Buzz like this.
  8. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Yes

Jimbing and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Great points. My main issue with TLJ was, indeed, the fact that the "seams" of his "structures to convey his voice" were so obvious and unsubtle, that my suspension of disbelief collapsed. His approach is what Tolkien called the "tyranny of the author." I prefer a much more observational and natural approach, ala Villeneuve, Malick, or even Edwards and Famuyiwa.

10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    More like you took his words and once again twisted them into sonmething else entirely that would fit your narrative.
    You can try to "infer" anything you want, doesn't mean that it is somehow remotely close to being true. Right now, all you are doing is projecting an opinion onto him, instead of taking his actual words and opinions into account. It's just attacks for the attack's sake. Regardless of what he is saying or doing, the very same people will instantly swarm out and twist everything into something else entirely. Like a famous football coach once said: "If I would walk on water they would say 'look at him, he can't even swim!'".

Apart from that, he didn't ignore canon in regards to what JJ Abrams set up, nor was his take on Luke contradicting anything, as nothing he did with Luke was in any way, shape or form going against canon or Luke's story. In fact, it followed the setup by TFA to the letter. You not liking the story doesn't somehow change the fact that it explicitly followed what TFA said about the character.

Then again, all of that has very little to do with this topic.

I don't think pairing Johnson and Filoni would do all that much. Unless one is merely around to offer a bit of advice now and then (which already happened to some extend in the past). Both seem way too involved in the whole process of developing a movie / episode / story to let someone else be in control of an entire part of that. They all tend to write and direct their own stuff. Filoni did write and direct his last two episode, just like Rick Famuyiwa did. Others tend to be involved in the process as well, but there is never a clear split between writer and director when it comes to these people.

Riv_Shiel, Jimbing and Darth Buzz like this.
  11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    A negative and unpleasant debate about Rian and TLJ among SW fans?

Wow, what a novelty!

PymParticles , Riv_Shiel and Jimbing like this.
  12. Jimbing

Jimbing Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 15, 2020
    Quentin Tarantino of course! I'd love to see his version of the Dark Side! Yessir.

13. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Damien Chazelle
    An expert storyteller, specifically about people with an obsession. Seems perfect for a story about a Jedi falling to the dark side.

Christopher Nolan
    Though the movie will probably be exhausting and too plot-heavy, you just know he'd blow our minds by delivering an experience we've never had before with Star Wars.

George Miller
    The dude would have a field day with the costuming alone.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Bor Mullet and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    @The Chalk Jedi , @Bor Mullet , @Darth Buzz , @AndrewPascoe , @Oissan

Here is what was said:

Interviewer:

“Whenever you are writing, let’s say you are creating your own universe, you said you don’t think about actors, you are starting something from scratch, how is that approach versus something where you have a pre-existing universe? If you are writing characters for Star Wars, you have this universe, you have characters that everybody knows, and then now you are doing something from scratch. Do you find your approach is different for that?”

Rian Johnson:

"No, not at all. Because I don’t really think in terms of universes or in terms of creating worlds or whatever. That’s not that interesting to me. The only thing that is interesting to me is story. And the story specific to, like whether you are writing a Star Wars film that’s part of a three movie trilogy or a quote unquote original thing like Knives Out, you are still telling a story that is new to the thing that you are doing that it has to work within the context of that movie. So, to me the notion of what’s the entire galaxy or world that you are creating or something, I can’t imagine getting excited about creating that. To me what I’m excited about is creating a two hour long experience for an audience to have in the theater. And that means how they engage moment to moment with the story and the characters that are on the screen. And that doesn’t change in either one of those."

Here's the interview: Quote is from about 10:25

And I would recommend taking it to the Rian thread if you wish to respond further.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  15. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Ha you got me. I still think TLJ had plenty of world building but moving on.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  16. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Wasn’t a huge fan of his either loved loved the finale though felt like Star Wars

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What is Uwe Boll up to these days?

18. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
  19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    And again I say unto you, let David Lowery direct a Star War.

20. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Spielberg or Miyazaki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Seriously, what do people actually think about Spielberg directing one? I'd be open to it.

Sarge likes this.
  22. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Spielberg would be absolute dynamite. Alas, the closest we'll get are his bonkers previz sequences for ROTS:

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Young Spielberg might have made fantastic SW films. But I'm not sure if old Spielberg has outgrown classic SW style stories. OTOH, he might make something genre-defying and amazing.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I wouldn’t mind him doing a Solo-like film but definitely don’t want him doing a Saga film if we ever get another one of those.

25. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    ROTJ directed by Spielberg as originally planned by George would have been awesome. Not that ROTJ right now isn't awesome, but Spielberg one in 1983 would have been even more awesome.

IlhamKamaruddin and Sarge like this.