main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.08 - Chapter 16 (Season Finale!!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 17, 2020.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Jan 1, 2021.
  1. 10

65.2%
  2. 9

18.9%
  3. 8

9.0%
  4. 7

2.6%
  5. 6

2.1%
  6. 5

0.9%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1.3%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 2.08!!
    Chapter 16
    -------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney+.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced.

(3) The Mandalorian episodes air on Friday on Disney+. Anyone who shares plot details about an episode before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

Mando will find you.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  2. Justus_Cade

Justus_Cade Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    Millennium Falcon comes in and saves everyone at the last minute.

3. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
  4. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Yaaahoooo! I knew it!

5. Ehpik

Ehpik Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2013
    I honestly don't know what to expect from this episode. I have my doubts it'll even show the Jedi that Grogu may have contacted. Hell, I have my doubts Din and friends will even rescue Grogu this episode. I'm hoping we get a longer episode for the season finale, I hope Din at least gets to Grogu, even if it doesn't mean they escape just yet, and I hope we see this Jedi. I'm actually in suspense on who it may be. I'm also hoping we see Mandalore and the state it's in.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    TadoFett, RetropME and Shamear like this.
  6. Shamear

Shamear Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2014
    A return to live-action Kamino on the cards, I hope.

7. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I already hate this episode. When it's over we have to wait very long for more. They better bring on something (positive) to be discussed for the next 10 months.

8. yodarulzall

yodarulzall Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 1, 2000
    Hate to break it you you. We have to wait 53 weeks for chapter 17. Hope your day gets better from here on!

9. Cosmicrust

Cosmicrust Jedi Padawan

Dec 17, 2020
    It's been a phenomenal second run, far exceeding my expectations at times. I loved the sweeping Tremors homage that opened things, the bizarrely Wind-in-The-Willows frog lady, Baby Yoda's antics with her spawn, Ahsoka being tender and badass in equal measure, Fett, and the latest (unexpectedly moving) episode with Mayfeld.

Episode for episode, the quality has arguably outdone even the first season which admittedly had a couple of filler episodes - or which *seemed* so at the time. It's been season 2 which has saved them from being filler retrospectively (the Tatooine episode sets up 2x06, and the prison break episode sets up 2x07)

As for the finale, perhaps my expectations are now set way too high and I've doomed myself to disappointment?!? [face_nail_biting]

But if they can somehow make it the glazed cherry on top of this frankly epic cake, all is looking (more than) promising in the brave new world of Strar Wars on TV, and series like Andor, The Acolyte and Obi-Wan Kenobi using the volume for SFX and similar quality in the scripting/directing departments can't come soon enough!:yoda::boba::ben::vader::redsaber::greensaber:

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Really? Where did they say that the next season starts end of Dec 2021?

11. yodarulzall

yodarulzall Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 1, 2000
    Part of last weeks announcements. Christmas next year season 3 drops.

Darth Smurf and TadoFett like this.
  12. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I really have no idea if they'll rescue Grogu or not. But, I predict they take down the Star Destroyer with some Jedi help, but Moff Gideon escapes. Then Gideon has to report to Thrawn for the final shot.

whostheBossk and TadoFett like this.
  13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Here's my predictions:

- Din's message is part of a trick they have to infiltrate Gideon's ship; there's some kind of fake out that successfully get Din aboard to confront Gideon in person, but in a way where Din really can't afford to spend too much time there.

-The trap will end up being overcome by the Darktroopers, who may or may not kill Cara in a demonstration of their capabilities; they're going to prove themselves more than just battle droids with rocket - maybe they have beskar endoskeletons that shake off the usually crippling damage, making them full Terminator send ups.

-Din will end up defeated by Gideon in their fight, and is either captured or beaten down so hard that Gideon can take his time in taking off Din's helmet and verbally deconstructing Din's beliefs somehow - if Gideon has a backstory and compelling motivation, we'll hear about it here and it will have some kind of application to Din's own POV. Something like "I was a Mandalorian foundling, long ago, just like you, until I realized my new guardians had my parents blood on their hands... just as yours did" or something.

-I figure Boba will pull a twist on his ESB scene where the Slave One revealed itself in the junk trail behind the Falcon, but this time to rescue Grogu, but will be unable to get him to the captured/presumed dead Din, and will end up securing Grogu's safety somewhere else.

-As for last minute twists... I don't see Luke showing up, and I think another Jedi is unlikely, as is Thrawn. I figure something else will be surprising.

14. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    12 hours away

My body is already shaking from withdrawal.

Oh wait no, that's because the landlord hasn't turned on the heat and we had a snowstorm yesterday.

I will be very sad after the episode is done, for me this has been an amazing experience and I think the 2nd season is much better even than the 1st one. And I don't have any complaints about the 1st one really. Talking about the episode every week with a bunch of friends who are huge Star Wars fans and then coming on the boards etc will be missed.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have a feeling this will be a great episode

16. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    You echo my feelings as well. I loved the first season, and the second has been a step-up in quality in every way. Considering that most shows take a full 3-4 seasons to truly hit their stride, that is a very bright sign for the future!

TheYodaPagoda and DarthFixxxer like this.
  17. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I have a bad feeling about this...

...which generally means the dramatic tension is good and it'll all end up great.

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I love this season to death. But season one is a classic that will be hard for any season to beat, IMO. The tightness, simplicity and beauty of it - held together by the wisdom of Kuiil - places it in the Star Wars stratosphere.

19. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    The fact that Peyton Reed is directing this finale causes me to lower my expectations, but at least he isn’t writing it? I hope I’m very wrong and that this episode straight up dominates.

Jaxxon-, Master Cado Afu and RetropME like this.
  20. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    12 hours. Cant wait for tonight! :)

clone commander bossk likes this.
  21. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    What an absolutely brilliant season this has been. Season 1 was outstanding, but they have seriously raised the bar with season 2. The success of this show drove Lucasfilm/Disney into a new realm of content.....last weeks announcements of shows and movies would not have come if they had not hit it out of the ballpark with The Mandalorian. Its the best show on TV, period. Its an AMAZING addition to the Star Wars franchise....and because of its quality it means all of us here, and the millions of other fans around the world have got something (many things, one show, two shows) to look forward to for the next 10 years. I don't want to ever hear another bad word said about Disney and Kathleen Kennedy!

As for tonight. I don't care what happens, It will be brilliant whatever they show us. That's how much confidence I have in this.

22. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    In the morning get up At 7:45 and watch mando at 8:00 when it comes out, that's the plan! :D

DarthFixxxer and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Well, after the first season, Disney obviously knew they had a monster hit. And you would think that with a monster hit, you would want to strike while the iron is hot. And so you'd think they would have planned a really phenomenal season two finale. I'm hoping for Luke, but I know I'm setting myself up for a letdown.

24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It goes up at 9am here, so I’ll be up at 8 to walk the dog, make coffee, and then settle in for some Mando.

25. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah, that's kind of the difference between television and movies.

With movies the director is king. In television the executive producer (showrunner, whatever) is king. So Jon Favreau is king. The directors are just doing what Jon Favreau wants done. They're not calling the shots like they would if they were directing a movie.

So if it sucks, then it's Jon Favreau fault. And the director can say, "Yeah, I thought it was pretty stupid too. But I'm just the director, "Lion King Boy" here is the EP." :cool:

And here's the set-up...
    "I care."
    -Luke Skywalker, BBY 0

Depending on what happens, this could be either just the season two finale, or the series finale for me.

If I don't get somebody with a laser sword that can do the magic hand thing, then I dunno...

Let's see.

clone commander bossk likes this.