main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.07 - Chapter 15 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 10, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 18, 2020.
  1. 10

18.8%
  2. 9

37.0%
  3. 8

26.8%
  4. 7

13.0%
  5. 6

3.6%
  6. 5

0.7%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Yeah, I thought they were the similar to the Prawn Stealers of episode 4.

2. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    A great deep dive into the aces-over-faces scene of not just this episode but really of the entire series up to this point. They hit on some stuff that didn't occur to me but also echoed a lot that did.

3. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    The only thing that really bugged me with this episode was the seismic charge. Being in atmosphere, the shockwave should have killed them all. Or at least taken out Cara and Fennic. But based on how the scene was presented, the Slave I was not traveling fast enough to outrun the shock wave, so it would have damaged the ship enough to make it unflyable and caused them to crash. Cara and Fennic are close enough the shock wave would provide a lethal amount of G's to their bodies.

4. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Spoiler alert, there is also no sound in space, or magic wizards who can basically fly

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    But the shockwave moves like a disc, not a ball, and neither Cara and Fennec, nor the Slave I were in its path.

Star Wars Physics™

6. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    That's what I love about SW. It's fantastical environment. I don't want it to be "exactly" like our world. I could careless if EVERYTHING makes sense, or is explained "properly". I don't care. As long as it's somewhat plausible, I'm okay. Again, these are fantasy movies based on 1930 serials. It'a all fake anyway. I just want to loose myself in SW's fantastical worlds and have fun escaping. The stories are fun, the characters are rounded out to some point. The quality of the production is awesome. Let's just roll, baby!

7. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Yes, but the shock wave should have moved like a ball. Physics still apply no matter where we are in the universe. Which means all of them were in the path. I'm all for suspending disbelief, but there needs to be some plausibility to make that suspension a bit more palatable. They could have simply picked up the girls first, then after dropping the charge, accelerate out of range. It would at least give some real world feel to the scene.

Sarge likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    But the seismic charge shockwave has moved like a disc since the first time we saw it in AOTC in 2002, and we clearly see its path there and in this episode.
    Think of it like this: it's a futuristic weapon using tech currently unavailable in the real world to direct the shockwave as a flat plane instead of a ball, to minimize collateral damage and create worse damage where you aim it.

I mean, this is a weapon that sucks all the sound away like a sonic black hole just before it explodes. A flat shockwave is hardly the most implausible thing about it.

9. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    And I never cared for it since AOTC either. And no, sucking the sound is not implausible. When there is an explosion, for a brief moment, the resulting sonic boom sucks the sound away. That's why you hear the boom. It's releasing after the brief absence of sound. A sonic boom can rupture ear drums and cause deafness in people miles away. Anyone this close to it would be killed, or so badly injured they wouldn't survive much more than a brief moment after.

There is a level of plausibility to the visual of the shock wave moving as a disk, but the physical effect would be that of a ball.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  10. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    ... I give up. [face_plain]

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's better this way.

12. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    The issue with this episode for me is its amount of focus on Mayfeld combined with its placement in the season. It feels like Din playing a part in someone else's story -- namely someone with no particular stake in saving Grogu -- and this, ironically, isn't an impression I've gotten from the appearances of Cobb, Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, or Boba.

I went through the episode again and noted the screentime of the prominent characters. The counts aren't exact, but enough to put this in perspective. Boba really got the short end of the stick, when I thought he could've informed the father-son dynamic, making more of a connection with Din and simultaneously preserving a sense of urgency in the situation.

Din Djarin: 22:09
    Migs Mayfeld: 21:04
    Cara Dune: 8:06
    Fennec Shand: 5:39
    Valin Hess: 5:00
    Boba Fett: 3:06

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  13. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Perhaps whatever futuristic method contains the (plasma?) in blaster bolts and makes lightsaber blades have a length/width limit also contains the shockwave so the sonic cargo so it's only a disk rather then a ball

If youlook at the carge it's got a little indented area on either side - maybe that extends all the way around in a full ring and the gold parts are just caps/sensors; as the blue part sents off the inital pulse that we see (the one that goes down and up and then retracts) they detach and blow off and then the ring sends out a sonic wave in the direction that it's faceing? (perhaps the pulse is gathering energy for the wave?)
    [​IMG]

Maybe it's not that big a sonic boom? True in ATOC we see it pulverize asteroids, but there's no reason to think the yield of the weapon can't be adjusted.

If you watch ATOC you see it starts off as a ball, but then flattens into a disk before it extends. Whether or not that makes sense is a different matter entirely, but it seems like a relatively minor quibble, IMO, when were talking about a universe with magic, ghosts, sound in space and whatever else.

Probobly becuase Cobb Vanth, Bo-Katan and Ahsoka were just guest apperances while Mayfeld (it seems, IMO) is shaping up to be part of the main cast (or even a main character in a spinoff) while Boba's has yet to get an episode were he dominants the plot (which is bound to happen eventually).

14. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Amen to that!

And what better way to escape the reality of 2020?

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Spoiler alert: As space is not a pure vacuum, there is indeed sound in space, just not at wavelengths humans can hear (as the frequencies are too low). :-B

16. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Yet we hear pew pew pew all the time

17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Space in the SW galaxy is different. You can hear all sorts and do all sorts. I blame those pesky Midichlorians.

Lee_, K2771991 and RetropME like this.
  18. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    The only "pure vacuum" is the one is just used to clean my stairs:D

Jokes aside, and in all seriusness, there probobly is'nt sound in space in Star Wars; it's just something added to the film for the benafit of the audience (as is the case with virtually every sci-fi series in existence). I've never had any doubt that in-universe it's all silent to the characters.

Whistling Birb and Riv_Shiel like this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    And we hear people speak English. The story has been translated for our simian ears.

K2771991 and Darth Chuck Norris like this.
  20. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    And if they didn't add sound in space for the viewers it would be a rather boring movie.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Fun fact for those unaware; the writing in ANH was originally plain English, before being replaced by Aurebesh in one of the later editions; hence the creation of the High Galactic alphabet to explain what was, at the time, a discrepency.
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet likes this.
  22. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Finally getting around to watching this episode. My thoughts as I watch:

-Like the idea of a Republic prison being a scrapyard breaking up old TIE fighters and whatnot.

-Cara Dune helping Mando with the prison break. Awesome stuff.

-Ah, Mando wants the Imperial clearances and protocols. Makes good sense.

-What a lush green planet.

-Good job taking out those troopers, Cara.

-Putting on the stinky trooper armor and complaining about it[face_laugh]

-Oh, wow, big explosion. Things getting intense and real.

-Pirates with thermal detonators. Yikes.

-"You should've left me in prison!" Great dialogue in this show.

-The one time you're happy to see TIE fighters...

-And all the pirates are taken out.

-The cheering Imperials don't realize that they've basically let in the Trojan horse.

-The argument is going to attract attention. I have a bad feeling about this.

-That Imperial officer is definitely suspicious.

-Mando takes off the helmet to do the facial scan. Wow.

-Suspicious officer asking lots of questions.

-Discussion of Operation Cinder. Reminds me of the Alphabet Squadron books. Intense.

-Suspicious officer is a true, crazy, and terrifying fanatic. I like how this series explores fanaticism.

"Everyone thinks they want freedom, but what they really want is order." What a dark, chilling line.

-Time for a shootout.

-Quite a shot of that dam. Very cinematic episode overall.

-Boba's ship has an interesting design.

-A sharpshooter indeed. Impressive.

-"We all need to sleep at night." This series does a good job adding depth to characters. I appreciate that.

-"Thanks for helping."

"Good luck getting the kid back." More humanizing moments.

-Cara going to let him go free. Wow.

-"Moff Gideon, you have something I want." Mando basically declaring war at the end there. Love it.

Overall thoughts on the episode: This episode got more and more intense as it progressed. It was really dramatic to see Mando and company infiltrate the Imperial base and some deep, powerful discussion of Operation Cinder that to me connected well with the Alphabet Squadron books. I like how the show continues to humanize and develop its characters and how the worlds always feel unique. Also, all the battles scenes and so many of the shots are so cinematic. A true treat to watch episode after episode.

Episode rating after 10: I really enjoyed this episode especially after Mando entered the Imperial base. I think I'm going to have to give it another 10 out of 10 rating.

Time to watch the finale. Can't wait to see what happens next!

23. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I am a physicist by profession and I would have given up earlier :p

K2771991 and TCF-1138 like this.
  24. MachoManMace

MachoManMace Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2021
    Hasta la vista, troll.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2021
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10