main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.08 - Chapter 16 (Season Finale!!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 17, 2020.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Jan 1, 2021.
  1. 10

65.2%
  2. 9

18.9%
  3. 8

9.0%
  4. 7

2.6%
  5. 6

2.1%
  6. 5

0.9%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1.3%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Return of the Jedi.

Someone had to say it. ;)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  2. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    There's no way they're killing Grogu. He's probably still alive during and after the events of TROS, though who knows where.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It really is. This episode probably also could have been called the Jedi

4. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    This article from April 2020 indicates "Jon Favreau has been “writing season 3 for a while,” and that the art department, led by Lucasfilm vice president and executive creative director Doug Chiang, has been creating concepts for Season 3 “for the past few weeks.”

“We’ve just started pre-production and are looking into further adventures for the Mandalorian in Season 3.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/the-mandalorian-season-3-in-the-works-disney-plus-1234586103/

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    As someone said earlier, there'll be a brand new story. The reclaiming of Mandalore. It's all set up, with conflicts over the Darksaber and different factions of Mandalorian.
    I reckon that'll be a two series story arc as well.

But with Grogu gone, they'll need a new Cute Creature. And a new ship.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think Kathleen Kennedy just got her contract extended for another 120 years.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks.

9. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    "One X-Wing? Great. We're saved..."

Wait... It can't be... Could it be???? YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!! And then a Boba Fett series teaser on top of that! My brain still hasn't cooled down enough to fully process everything that happened.

The way Luke came in was tear-inducingly beautiful. The buildup, the realization, the action. But I have to admit the CGI face was... distracting. Better than Rogue One but inferior to the best deepfakes on YouTube. For example, the Harrison-for-Alden Solo edit is incredible and superior to any digital faces created for film so far. Is there a reason ILM won't use deepfake technology?

Still, I was screaming like that Nintendo 64 kid on Christmas when Luke came slicing through! Even as a big fan of Old Luke's Last Stand in TLJ, it was amazing to see him "in action" again.

Speaking of that ending, I'm pretty sure we'll see plenty of Grogu AND Gideon next season. They left the latter alive for a reason and it's hard to imagine the former being left to be taken out by Kylo. There's clearly more story left to Grogu's fate and to Gideon's experiments.

10. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    I didn’t get the Sabine thing either

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    She ain’t going anywhere and I for one could not be happier with what she has greenlit

12. Houle

Houle Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 3, 2016
    Daaamn, what an episode. I cant really judge the whole thing right now, too many things happened, so just the most important stuff:

1) Luke was incredible. Seeing him just go Jedi god-mode and absolutely wrecking those Dark Troopers was insane. It also shows that hes the son of the frickin CHOSEN ONE. I mean, Ahsoka displayed some cool stuff in her episode, but Luke was on a whole different level. Really hammers in the point that hes probably one of the top 5 most powerful Jedi weve ever seen (together with Yoda, Windu, Anakin and Obi)

2) I hate to say this, but does anyone else feel they did Boba somewhat dirty this episode?
    Hes reduced to a glorified taxi driver, and the single fight scene hes in, hes fought to a stand-still by a random Mando warrior (lets face it here, shes nothing special). Which in itself wouldnt be a bad thing, but we are talking about Boba Fett here.
    The guy was trained by Jango Fett, and eclipsed him, according to the latest canon lore book.
    Jango Fett shot a Jedi Master dead on Geonosis like it was nothing (Coleman Trebor was his name iirc). And weve seen this episode just how far ahead a skilled force user is of everyone else.
    But somehow Boba almost gets his ass handed to him by some random Mando?
    Hes supposed to be pretty much THE supreme badass in the group, yet hes reduced to being the driver and nothing more. Its honestly a bit dissapointing.

Have to admit tho, that post-credits scene was AMAZING, lets hope it leads to something good.

13. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    Looking forward to all the gif sets comparing the two scenes. :D

14. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    I lost quite a bit of ****** watching this. Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau are the absolute masters.

Addie Edit: Little explicit. Tone it down please.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2020
  15. TheChosenAlpha

TheChosenAlpha Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 15, 2020
    Words.........must....... find....... words........

16. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    They very well could hand Grogu to Ahsoka or maybe he doesn't become a Jedi at all and wants to return to Din. It's honestly a blessing Ahsoka was completely absent from the ST. I'm one of those people who doesn't think Ahsoka's voice showing up in the ST means she is dead. I mean she could be if that's where Dave decides to take her. But Ahsoka by that point would have become ridiculously powerful in the Force. She could have easily projected her voice and energy to help in the fight against Palps Jr. I mean look at Luke in this episode. He was basically a god (honestly this whole episode makes me feel like it's now even HARDER for me to reconcile the character in The Last Jedi). But one thing I am very sure of is that Grogu will not die because Ben Solo and his friends burnt down a Temple and slaughtered a bunch of kids. Baby Yoda is far too popular a character with far too much potential to have such an obvious fate considering we know what happens in the future regarding his new caretaker. Basically what I'm trying to get at is that despite the fact Grogu is now with Master Luke, the story potential for where his character can go is truly wide open.

The Chalk Jedi, Tan-Wessel and Sproj like this.
  17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    You know if Grogu does die when Academy goes boom.....at least it won’t be from a lightsaber.

The academy blew up during the night, when most of the students were sleeping. The ones who were awake were Ben Solo (from afar) and 3 who were returning in a ship from an away mission.

So at least there is a possibly that Grogu would not die a slow death, but be taken out in a flash.

Many might say Disney would never allow baby yoda to die. Then again they have killed very popular characters before.....

I think they will probably want him to avoid the fate of Luke’s Academy, but I might be wrong.

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Didn’t need that picture in my head

19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Agreed. I'm hoping whatever growing pains the series went through between 2015-2019 (and it's frankly subjective just how painful those pains were), that Star Wars going forward has found its grove and role in modern storytelling. If all the Disney+ shows can maintain this quality, we're golden, considering I have nothing but the highest confidence in Patty Jenkins and Taika Waitti with their films. Star Wars is alive and well and here to stay.

20. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Like Father like Son. Grand entrances runs in the Skywalker fanily. :)

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Fantastic. Luke showing some of the greatest Jedi abilities we've ever seen in a fight. This could have been fan service so easily. Talk about steering into the skid. It comes in as pitch perfect.

I loved the video game Dark Forces. Seeing the Dark Trooper in action.... I'm on the edge of my seat. I know a blaster ins't going to work against them. Remember playing that game and one would surprise you... How hard they were to kill. I've never had sort first hand feeling of danger in Star Wars. Okay so I'm a big Dark Trooper Fan.

Luke Skywalker is my favorite fictional character. Luke in Return of the Jedi to be specific. This was fantastic. Personally I think Luke would have switched to lighter color clothes the day after the Death Star 2 was destroyed... But that's okay. I think he needed to be in familiar clothes for this to work. And it worked so much better than it has any right to work. It was all handled so well. The in universe logic on this show flows so perfectly. A lone X-Wing enters the hanger. And then Luke goes on to outdo pretty much every scene we've ever seen like this with Force users. Luke made those Dark Troopers look like Battle Droids. (I wonder how Destroy Droids would have fared in this same situation?).

Luke out did Anakin, Qui-Gon, pretty much anyone in this episode.

Moff Gideon is a trickster. He wanted to lose that fight. That was a trick by the devil. He gave Mando that cursed sword.

What would Boba Fett have done if he saw Luke?

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The future of Star Wars is definitely on TV

23. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    I love Rogue One, but for me, especially after waiting through all of the ST for this, Luke's scene trounces Vader. Absolutely incredible, I just can't stop smiling.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think Boba would have done anything

25. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    He was a lot of bark with very little bite. IMO.

Erkan12, Tan-Wessel and Darth Buzz like this.