main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Luke Skywalker (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think they should have recast personally. I think it would have allowed more use of the character. As good as the CGI looked. I think it was abit similar to the Carrie in TROS situation. The limitations of what you could do meant that there had to be limited interaction with Luke. And Luke had to pretty much come in, take the child and leave, no questions asked.

2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    THIS. I have been obsessing with the sequence.

Plus, 100 million credits to Ludwig Goransson for designing the absolute perfect sound for the entire part of the episode that you just described.

And I would add to that all the meaningful words Luke says.

And Grogu recognizing R2D2.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    2Cleva, wobbits, Awushi Awere and 5 others like this.
  3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't see the point unless they were going to do a live-action series in the next few years. I know there is all the Sebastian Stan talk but let's say they are going to do a Luke with Grogu plus Ahsoka and a (yikes!) young Ben series. That wouldn't be until much later. An actual recast creates expectations that aren't going to be realized for a long time.

Maybe they use this again it Luke is some part of the Thrawn story or at that point they do go for a recast and a series comes out of that.

I didn't see that. It was a evolution of the Tarkin from R1 but that much better looking. At first I thought it might have be SS combined with MH in some way.

4. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    There were Luke shots that were amazing and then there were ones that weren't as good...but I'll take them! :greensaber:

TadoFett likes this.
  5. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    It will be very interesting to see what they do with the character moving forward. The big fan service moment here doesn't really change Luke in the ST, there is still a disconnect.

Do they ultimately tell us what happened in-between or will they only give us pieces and leave it open to interpretation. I say that because I don't read the comics, only some of the books, so I am unaware regarding stories like the Luke/Kylo material already released in the comics.

I guess what I am saying is will we discover that there are surviving Jedi students or will they keep Luke's *failure* as complete as in the ST.

*According to Yoda in TLJ

Shadao and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  6. Intergalactic Lawman

Nov 26, 2020
    I would honestly just use SS and set it 10 years past current times (current being tonight's episode haha) Give him a beard, same costume, and we are set! Atleast he looks like MH. I could never get behind SOLO because the actor was a terrible choice for a younger HF. Zero resemblance. Sounded and acted nothing like Han. Ugh

7. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Perhaps they are hoping tech will continue to evolve to the point they can use Luke more. because at some point they probably will want to use Luke again.

I mean Luke went on the ship, beat down some droids and then took the kid and left. no questions asked like whats going on here? this empire ship?. everyone just stayed quiet so Din could say his goodbyes and then left. no interactions between Bo and Luke or anything.

The cgi was impressive. and it was great seeing Luke again. but i do kinda think maybe they bit off more than they could chew abit with their ambition. but it does kinda open interesting doors for the Obi Wan show IMO.

Master Cado Afu likes this.
  8. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    I think if they are to do anything moving forward like a Luke series then it should be recast. They can then set the expectation before it airs and the audience are aware.

However, recasting for this scene would have been a bad move. I’m sure most would have still managed to pick up that it was Luke, but it would’ve diluted the reveal if it weren’t a de-aged Hamill

9. Intergalactic Lawman

Nov 26, 2020
    I think we (the audience) can handle it

Aah Fisto likes this.
  10. RetropME

Dec 11, 2017
    Sebastian Stan won't be playing Luke. KK has stated they aren't recasting the OT actors within their era and they didn't use him for The Mandalorian.

The entire point of the ST was to get away from the OT characters, we won't be getting entire shows about them.

11. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    That is a good question. What we know of the future does give me some misgivings since we know the fate of his Jedi Academy (or whatever it was?) However, could they be setting up a situation where he did train others prior to that and by the time he took in Ben to train him the other students were off on missions? Because we really don't know anything about Luke post ROTJ except that he was looking for Jedi Knowledge.

I'm sure there is a way that this will make sense, but right now it seems like a heck of a mountain to climb.

RetropME likes this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Whatever formats they use to get there, we just started the immediate sequel to the OT.

The Adventures of Luke Skywalker and Grogu comic, here we come.

13. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    I’m thinking more of the casual fan. The Mandalorian has appealed to a wide variety of the fan base, and those who don’t read forums or news articles may not have had a clue who it was if it was a recast Luke. They could have a very good idea that it’s Luke, with the glove, the green lightsaber etc, but having Hamill for this episode removes any tiny percentage of doubt over who it is and thus gives the scene much greater impact

14. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Well you don't need a whole show around them. lets look at it like this. If Thrawn becomes more used n the shows, would it be disappointing if Luke never faces him at least one in live action? purely because KK said these shows were about getting away from the OT characters and the limitations of CGI mean that Luke very much has to stay as limited as possible.

it almost seems like a shame to lose connections to Luke in this era.

15. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    A stupid point really, that they were trying to make.

But even if we accept it, there is no reason why we wouldn't get entire shows about them.

They can't "ruin" a show or a movie, if the show or the movie is about them.

[​IMG]

2Cleva, Darkslayer, wobbits and 3 others like this.
  16. RetropME

Dec 11, 2017
    Yay, more pieces of the story I will never see.

Not a slant against you or anyone who enjoys them, I just feel like some of the best parts of the DIsney-era story have be relegated to comics and books. I read some of the books but I am not a fan of comics, and yet judging by Wookieepedia it seems a good chunk of the story is in them.

I guess what I'm saying is that I hope it is less comics and more TV shows telling the story, even if Luke isn't a regular character.

17. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    Honestly I would have a hard time excepting anyone recast as Luke.

But specifically Sebastian Stan??

I do not get the demand from some fans for this. Admittedly I have only seen him in the Marvel movies and have not been overtly impressed with him as an actor. There is a slight resemblance in the face. That is it. He is 6’0” foot tall and Mark is 5’9”. There is a picture of them meeting and it shows how much that seemingly little difference makes. Luke being “a little small for a stormtrooper” is part of who is character is. He is physically normal guy with amazing will and powers. He does not look like a solider. Not a Winter Solider...

I thought the CGI was fine. Much better than Leia in Rogue One. The only “problem” is they deliberately had him say little or make few facial expressions. It would have been more effective to show less shots of his face. The scene was more about Luke’s presence and his power as a Jedi, His role in Grogu’s future. Than about Luke as a character. The scene was really about the emotions between the Mandalorian and the child.

Master Cado Afu and RetropME like this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We had it all wrong. Luke and Grogu are the Rangers of the New Republic.

TadoFett and Kole like this.
  19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Which they didn't do because of the terrible way they were misused and abused in addition to completely fumbling what should have been a baton pass to a new generation.

So instead that new generation is relegated to reject status.

Would it be all that surprising that at some point there would eventually be new live-action post-OT series with them? Not anytime soon but eventually? Not in the least.

Besides that the movie model is basically largely finished at this point and they are hoping that they can get something out of it with Rogue Squadron and the TW movie. If those don't make it then the movies are completely done instead of mostly done.

With all the streaming TV content being made which will likely be far superior to the movies I don't hold much hope for their continuation.

2Cleva, Nate787, Darkslayer and 2 others like this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Can we not? For once?

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed. This is a happy place. Let's not debate films that have their own forums.

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Agreed but since the point was raised I felt it needed an answer.

That's done now so let's get back to actual good material to talk about.

To me the specific point they were making here with no recast is that they wanted to show us that this is MH's Luke straight out of ROTJ.

No matter how good SS or someone else could look they still wouldn't be that MH Luke Skywalker.

Maybe we'll never see him again like this (or at all) so this one time was what was needed.

2Cleva and mtt02263 like this.
  23. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    When did KK say that about not recasting? was it before or after Solo? because if it was after Solo i think it would show her understanding of things isn't particularly very good, beyond money speaks. but hey.

24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    That's more like it...

1) mirrors his father in RO
    2) does more to show a new audience who he is in 3 minutes than 3 sequels
    3) finally my faith has been fully restored after the ST

2Cleva, mtt02263, DinMeyer and 2 others like this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We now know why Ben Solo turned to the dark side. He was always jealous of how adorable Grogu is. :p