main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion A DROID STORY

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    This is about the same level of excitement for me as the Lego Star Wars Holiday Special, in that I won’t exactly be counting down the days, but I’ll definitely catch it on a Saturday morning over coffee and will likely be thoroughly entertained. Interested to see what they come up with when under no real pressure

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Broom Bantha would have made a lot of sense, as they have natural brooms attached to their bodies.

3. King Maul

King Maul Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2016
    Would it Clone Wars animated?

4. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Tim Burton makes and draws the things he does, because that's his style.
    He is not trying to be weird. He just is. But to me he is not weird. What's weird anyway?
    I have been to a special Tim Burton exhibition at the MoMA in 2010 and I was amazed by his creations.
    The man has made a ton of little books, handcrafted puppets, thingies, artifacts and whatnot.
    He is really like that. And I love most of his movies. A SW animated project by him would be amazing.

KSennia and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Seeing as ILM is involved I think this will go for a realistic animated approach

6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Will he be in this? Shame if he isn't [face_laugh]
    [​IMG]

MercenaryAce and CISMestizo like this.
  7. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    This might be a movie version of that canceled Star Wars Point'n click adventure game That Lucasarts wanted to make in the late 90s.

It was a Star Wars game set after episode 6 where the rebels send 3PO as an undercover agent to discover a new threat within the empire remnant worlds. That's right, C3PO was the main character of that game and he was supposed to solve puzzles to progress. They even wanted to bring some live action actors for this game.

But, the game got canceled due to Grim Fandango going overbudget , the management saw another one coming and canceled it.

The Senate likes this.
  8. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The Mandalorian Chapter 16 spoilers:

I wouldn't be shocked if the new character R2 and 3PO are paired with in this winds up being Grogu.

Although the announcement did use the word "introduce" so maybe not...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    CISMestizo and StardustSoldier like this.
  9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think Introduce is the key word there

StardustSoldier likes this.
  10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Pretty sure this new hero is a droid. What with the title of the film and all.

11. King Maul

King Maul Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2016
    Would be cool if this will focus on a droid revolution. Though I guess that might be a too big event to do in a animated movie.

12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Is this going to be for younger kids? I totally support diversity of thought and opinion, and appreciate that a lot of adults enjoy stuff like Toy Story and Lion King; I just don't find those entertaining enough to choose to watch outside of a time I am around young relatives or friends that might enjoy them.

I am assuming this is something I might take little cousin Johnny to see, but wouldn't watch myself. More along the lines of a G or soft PG Disney movie.

Sarge likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So it's just going to be Wall-E but with a Star Wars paint all over it.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Seeing as how all the animated shows have been targeted at younger audiences than the live action shows and movies I would think it is. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be good

15. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    sequel of a sequel, for me the first spiritual sequel were the Lego Droid Tale, and also Mercy Mission (the TCW episode) felt like a sequel/prequel to Droids.
    BTW, I would loose it if we got Mungo Baobab or any cameo from the original series.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  16. StardustSoldier

StardustSoldier Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 24, 2019
    Of all the projects that were announced at the investor's meeting, this was probably the one I thought about the least. But reading more about it now, it does look like it'll be interesting. And as I mentioned in the Rogue Squadron thread, I'm happy that Solo didn't kill of these sorts of standaloneish ideas for movies after all.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I wonder if straight to Disney plus movies will become more of a thing down the line

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. StardustSoldier

StardustSoldier Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 24, 2019
    I've been wondering the same.

Also curious to see who this new droid character ends up being.

19. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Maybe if this droids movie does well and becomes a hit, there could maybe be Sequel, or a tv show afterwards based on it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I mean, maybe, but I'm all for it just being a standalone thing that comes in, does its thing, and calls it a day. We're getting an onslaught of Star Wars now, and I don't think every single piece of it needs to be part of some big, interconnected arc. It'd be refreshing if some of them just kind of stand on their own.

As it stands, with that big board of announcements that they threw up there at the investor day thing, this is the project that honestly excites me the most. I can't wait to see what the animation style is going to look like, and to hear about who is actually directing it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  21. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think it is a given; it's already started. You can bet that improvised practices brought by the pandemic are not going away if they work. Companies like HBO and Netflix go all in on streaming, so Disney will need to move more to the streaming in all formats, which they already have done.

The line between cinema and streaming continues to blur. It will soon be a nonexistent line, present only in the minds of those who want to believe it is there. Cinema and streaming are both here to stay, but will coexist in ways that are still evolving.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Plus if they play their cards right if and when (we all know it’s more of a when) the theater industry dies Disney could make a lot more money off of movies. Right now they have to split profits like 50/50 with the theaters. If they had direct to Disney plus for the first 2 months they could charge 20 dollars for a movie and instead of having to split that with a theater they get all the profits

23. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It's possible that they could do that; that would be hideous. Not sure how it will shake out though with Warner Bros giving the movies away free to subscribers. Disney might start looking like veiled thugs charging all of this money to people that already subscribe. Not saying it wont happen, but as a competitive practice, it would look bad when movies that probably ran up around 150-200 mil (WW84, Matrix 4, Dune) are straight to streaming for the cost of the subscription on HBO.

The feasibility of sending high-end movie straight to streaming with no additional charge (depending solely on increased subscriptions to reach profits) remains to be seen. It would make for a more consumer friendly way for sure. That's evil to charge subscribers $20-30 for a movie.

Of course, if theaters literally died on a massive scale and didn't come back (and weren't replaced for a long time), the whole game would change, and none of the rules would apply. We will likely know by late spring what will happen with the saga of the theaters, but I think they may survive enough to keep movies going on a smaller scale, then grow back when the economy recovers (could be a while).

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The obituary was already playing out for anything that isn't an "event" film even before the pandemic. Major, respected directors have bemoaned the death of non-CBM type films for years at this point. COVID probably did drive a stake through the heart of smaller setpiece dramas and such but cinemas were already doing the math pertaining to the viability of non-"event" screenings.

DarthRamRod and Bor Mullet like this.
  25. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I get what your saying but it could lead into a spin off movie or tv show if it has a cliffhanger ending but I am not confirming it and all I am doing is just speculating.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.