main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The Worst] Eric Clapton

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Dec 15, 2006.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't think anything will top his racist rant back in '76.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I adore that this exists. It provides hours of derision for me to pass the time in my own lockdown.

3. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    These lyrics sound like something a 13 year old might write on their first attempt to create a song. Holy crap balls this is bad.

Clapton should have fell out that window.
    He’ll never need to worry about seeing that kid in heaven because he’s going to hell.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    harpua and SuperWatto like this.
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yikes reaction to what was clearly a joke.

SuperWatto likes this.
  5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I did not know about this. It’s the worst
    WARNING: extremely racist and offensive
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.insidehook.com/article/music/eric-clapton-racism/amp

6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    yeah , I wonder if it was inspiration for Roger Waters' The Wall : when Pink becomes a fascist leader in that song singing racist slurs and "up against the wall!"

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Holy **** - and he has the nerve to rip off blues musicians. I am utterly disgusted and no longer a fan.

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It's like people are just discovering he's a bit of a dick?

9. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    TBF, those racist comments were not widely reported at the time. Those being the days before the internet, someone could be a terrible person, and you'd barely know unless a tabloid decided to put it out there. Even then, most people didn't believe what the tabloids put out, and if it was reported in say, a music journal, there was still no guarantee that it would come into general knowing.

I remained a fan of his well into the eighties, but getting to know people who knew him didn't paint a very positive picture. I was still oblivious to those comments though; I've no idea when they became general knowledge. Anyways, my music tastes veered away from that stuff entirely by the time I went to uni.

10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    In light of all we‘ve learned about the man in recent years, should we rename the thread „[Racist ignorant d*** with a rather disturbing obsession with his best friend‘s wife] Eric Clapton“?

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    as long we work in the anti-vax angle. i guess that could fall under ignorant.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    How about "[The Worst] Eric Clapton"?

That would accurately represent his personality and his music.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Title change, please.

solojones likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Mods please merge this thread into the cancel culture thread.

TCF-1138 and harpua like this.
  16. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Never did understand the fascination with this man or Cream to be honest.

17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  18. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Was it a "I'm sorry, I was drunk/on drugs/sick/otherwise out of mind and had no idea what I was saying and don't actually subscribe to that racist bull****" or was it a " I'm sorry some people were offended" type apology?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    He apologized for the racist rant multiple times, with varying degrees of contrition. Usually he mentions how bad his alcoholism was at the time, sometimes he awkwardly insists he's not racist and does the "I have black friends" thing, other times he says, "Yeah, [I was racist,] full tilt. In as much as anything, it was about... foreigners, just foreign people, were they taking over the country? So a simple minded working-class villager like me, which is what Brexit is all about in a way... there was an air of this in the 1970s, and I'm not excusing myself, it was an awful thing to do."

Not sure he'll live long enough to regret his position on stay-at-home orders and vaccinations, though. Great thing to go out on. This man has insisted for decades that he hates touring and apparently now's the time to do another one. Because a 76-year-old millionaire who lives in a mansion in Surrey is a rebel.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  20. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Cmon, Cream has some classic hits and great songs. Despite Claptons personal thuggery, it’s hard to say that Cream has no good songs. Claptons solo career left more to be desired, I’ll admit that.

If Clapton did apologize then is that being accepted or not? He isn’t the only person that had said or done bad things and then apologized. Just recently, LeFlop James condoned killing a cop(that saved a womans life no less) and quickly "apologized" and retracted his statements. He appeared to get an "OK" from the CC posse. How does this work exactly with apologies? Is there a flow chart or manual to refer to?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I used to love "Tears from Heaven" but I can't listen to it anymore knowing the events that inspired it so that song is ruined for me. I do love the ending instrumental coda of Layla though. It's a good tune and it always makes me think of "Goodfellas".

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Does it matter? Even if Clapton was "forgiven" for his racist rants in the 70s, he's still acting like a piece of **** now, spreading disinformation about Covid and vaccines.

Jedi Daniel, Rew, blackmyron and 2 others like this.
  23. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Is this the right place for this?

24. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Guess not - As for misinformation and vaccines? This entire Covid thing has been politicized from top to bottom and unfortunately this has caused a dis-trust in the information. But, Calpton should just keep his trap shut regardless.

25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh for the love of....
    It's politicized because people are ****ing dying, and you lot keep downplaying it and acting like it's not a big deal. Enough with your bull****. Either act like an adult or shut up.

yankee8255, Rew, CT-867-5309 and 15 others like this.