main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Darth Vader in Kenobi Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RX_Sith, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    What a time to be alive, when the two latest roles listed in Hayden Christensen's IMDb filmography are Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader.

Later on, we would find out that George meant exactly what he said.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  2. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Going to agree here. What the hell could they do, other than what you've said that wouldnt require major screwing up of timelines and established events? If the Obi show takes place 8-10 years after the events of the prequels than thats a lot of time for Vader to get settled into his new role. I just dont see how Hayden plays into this in anything other than flashbacks. I love Hayden and also love the prequels. I want him to get more Star Wars screen time. But not in this way. Not if they screw up existing canon or events. It'll suck if they just jam plot contrivance after plot contrivance in there to make him Anakin again for a brief period just so they can have a laser sword battle to placate the nerds. Ugh. Please dont. [face_shame_on_you]

3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Can't say I'd care for that for at least a couple of reasons:

1) It's akin to if not quite the same as the total non-problem that existed as to why the Death Star was destroyed. Everything we needed to know was in ANH. Yet for years there were all kinds of scenarios to explain why the Death Star was destroyed David and Goliath style. It needed to be sabotaged some other way. Yet that "explanation" in Rogue One doesn't really make sense. All that Erso needed to do was to tell them about where to get the plans or maybe even tell them a weakness that he found they could exploit using the plans as opposed to his sabotage that wasn't sabotage because Alderaan was destroyed with no problems (never mind the uses in R1 itself).

Is he name a slight problem? Sure but then it always was one (and quite a bit larger) because in the original story Vader did kill Father Skywalker and very likely knew that Obi-Wan and Anakin were from Tatooine. This Vader should have no problem at all going to Tatooine. Obi-Wan hiding out on his own home planet with his own last name (where he had lived with his "brother" Owen Lars) is extremely problematic!

2) We know the real production answer of course but trying to work that into the story just openly brings up the question into the fiction in a way that isn't likely to be satisfying. The point being that why wouldn't someone just say "Obi-Wan you are an idiot! Why wasn't he called Luke Lars and passed off as their own son?"

Elle-Wan likes this.
  4. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I've thought about the Vader thing a lot and having them meet and have a saber duel could actually work. I'd accept the retcon if done well. We have the dialogue from Vader, "When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the Master" in ANH and it would still have to make sense. It would be interesting if they duel and Obi-Wan is able to overpower him and say al line like, "I'm still the Master, Darth." and Vader recognizes his mistake by loosing the fight and Obi-Wan getting away. There would still be another 9 years until they meet again on the Death Star.

ladygrey45 and TheManFromMortis like this.
  5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    If they do it wrong, then sure it could. but there is no reason why it should screw anything up.

It was never straight up said in episode 4 that Vader and Obi-Wan never saw each other since Episode 3. there is a room to fill in a gap there aslong as everything is concluded in a way that still fits with episode 4 and Rebels.

6. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    “A tremor in the force. The last time I felt it, I was in the presence of my old master”. Perhaps Vader feels this same “tremor” in this series, but can’t figure out the meaning of it until connecting the dots after finding/fighting Obi-Wan

7. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    I guess not....but my issue is that in order for Anakin(not vader) to fight Obi-Wan it would require some "fabrication" to get him out of the Vader suit and back as Anakin. Hes damaged and the suit keeps him alive so removing it to fight seems very iffy to me. I'm OK(at least somewhat OK) with themmaybe fighting again as Obi-Wan vs Vader but it still begs me to question how they pull this off without some serious contrivances and "splanations" that might be serious head-scratchers. Did Vader decide to go for a "vacation" and hunt down Obi-Wan? Why not just come with a bunch of guys and kill him? Why go alone? Ugh. Sorry but unless Im missing something here, this is going to be suspect at best. I guess I can always skip it, right? ;)

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Did Vader summon a bunch of stormtroopers to fight Obi-wan in A New Hope? No. He fought him alone. Why would it be unacceptable to you for him to do that 9 years earlier?

9. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    True, but thats not the only problem. He just leaves the safety of the Death Star to go hunt down Obi-Wan? Wouldnt the emperor go too? Thats quite different than Vader in ANH and his "I Must face him alone" situation, IMO. I dunno. Im just having a hard time with not only this show but the other 73 shows that are being thrwn out there. Im not convinced that its going to jive at all and even some of what we have thus far isnt lining up right. Sorry, Im a "movies-first" SW fan and the expanded universe and side-stuff doesnt appeal to me that much. Some of it is cool and Ive read some novels(Thrawn series and a few others) & watched a few cartoons. But its getting messy. Way too many UNdead characters. Too many cooks in the kitchen for me at this stage. But, alas, we'll see. If it ends up all being a massive cluster-fock then Ill just run away. Disney has to get their moneys worth so they are balls out speing SW shows.

Almost wish theyd just declare that all of this is an alternate universe or timeline.

I can always just watch the great films and skip the rest of it. Right? ;)

10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    1. Why would the Emperor personally go on an expedition to hunt down Obi-wan Kenobi? Did the Emperor personally hunt down Jedi during Order 66? No. He had clones and Inquisitors do his dirty work.

2. Did Vader not leave the safety of the Death Star in ANH to hunt down X-wings (and Luke) in a TIE fighter, and almost get blown up?

3. Was Vader hanging out on the Death Star 9 years before ANH? I don't think he was.

4. Where did you get the impression that Vader never leaves the safety of space stations?

I get that you have criticisms. But when you complain about things that are already present in the Star Wars films you profess to love, then people aren't going to take those criticisms seriously.

cwustudent likes this.
  11. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    So Vader remains the learner every time they face off against each other until the duel in ANH? It matters not if it is only one duel, or fifty, this would imply that Vader remained the learner the entire time. Deflates the notion of Vader being a powerful Sith lord.

As I've said before, we can just make the new line in ANH be, "The circle is complete. When I left you I was but the learner, and that time we faced off ten years ago, I was still the learner. And every time I lost to you before, I was the learner, but now, NOW I am the master."

12. darth_of_denmark

darth_of_denmark Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    When Obi and Vader fought in ROTS it made sense to me that Vader was still the learner and Obi the master. if you cram in yet another confrontation when Obi's prime objective is to watch over Luke then everything is just getting watered down. their confrontation in ANH works much better when you know it's been a long time since they met.

Also, I don't need to having everything about Vader over explained. Doing that is just terrible, it's like showing the monster early on in a movie like Predator. The rule is that you don't show the monster until late and in Vader's case he is no longer going to be very intimidating or mysterious if they over explain everything about him.

Ask yourself, why do you think Vader became one if the biggest movie villain icon's in history? I can assure you it was not because we got every single detail about the man behind the mask. It's quite the opposite.
    And personally I really don't like if they revise the story that has been with us for 40+ years. If they do there won't be an end to it. Then you can expect us to discuss another Obi vs Vader confrontation 10 years from now. "Oh but they fought a second time 9 years before ANH so why not have them meet up again 4 years before ANH?"

RetropME and Darth Chuck Norris like this.
  13. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _
    Yes, that's the only way a Vader v Obi-Wan re-match before ANH works for me. Personally, I'd still prefer Hayden's re-appearance as Anakin/Vader to be in flashback scenes or, maybe, scenes where we see Vader and Obi-Wan meditating on their past at great distance, perhaps sensing eachothers presence in the Force, but not actually knowing where the other is.

14. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Excellentttttt. My decades long quest to push The Adventures of Luke Lars as cannon continues.

cwustudent likes this.
  15. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    I don't want anything other than a cat-and-mouse game between Vader and Obi in the show's 'present' timeline. Anakin for the flashbacks, Vader for some very short scenes peppered across the series where he's sensing the tremor, or learning about some recent event against the Empire that he suspects Obi Wan is behind. If he does chase Obi Wan at any point, Obi Wan would have to get away before Vader can confirm it's him, and it needs to be as far away from Tattooine as possible.

16. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    OR, have Vader say "When I left you, I was but the learner. Now, I am your equal."
    Gradual progression!

17. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Look - its clear that you're more optimistic about this than me. Totally fine. I'll respond even though this is going nowhere:

1) Because Obi-Wan represents the most troublesome Jedi still alive. Of course he had his minions do Order #66. He had just transitioned over to his disfigured self and was obviously spent after the Mace battle. Plus he had to unleash Anakin to fully turn him to the dark side.
    2) That was a strategic move to concentrate on the trench battle & he had two guys flank him.
    3) Yeah . The final scene in ROTS shows the Death star being built(while they patiently watch) so it is reasonable to assume that at some point close to the ending of ROTS he and many others moved to the Death Star to "live" when it was ready.
    4) I dont have solid data for this but if you are going to say thats within reason for him to venture to tatooine to hunt down Obi-Wan then Im calling that a huge reach.

Sorry but unless its mostly flashbacks or something else I havent thought of(which is quite possible), this show is going to seriously streeeeeeeeeetch logic and timelines for any of it to jive correctly. Thats my opinion.

18. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    In other words baby steps for the Dark Lord of the Sith.

cwustudent and Lulu Mars like this.
  19. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    The best kind of steps.

20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    “He’s more machine now than man, twisted and evil.

Show me the boldest part please, Disney.

21. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    A million times 'yes' to this. It's like showing us how Han got the last name 'Solo' or that he got his famous blaster when a guy hastily fashioned a found rifle into it. That falls into the idgaf category and it's a complete waste of everyone's time.

I'm perfectly comfortable with the idea that Vader presumed Padme's singular child died with her. ...and that the name Skywalker isn't unique. Shmi Skywalker was unmarried, so obviously her father was from a Skywalker family. Did she have siblings? We don't need any of that explained. It's plausible enough to be the reason why Vader would not be told about the existence of a "Skywalker" child on Tattoine. ...there might be lots of 2nd and 3rd cousin Skywalkers all over Tattoine.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    ThisIsTheWay and cwustudent like this.
  22. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    The assumption that Padme and the child died isn't unreasonable. Has anyone challenged that? A book or a comic I haven't read? I can't imagine who would bother to tell Vader about the existence of another Skywalker anywhere, unless they were trying to commit suicide via Sith Lord. Even Obi-Wan calls him Darth.

And, like you said, all over Tatooine, maybe the galaxy. "Here" isn't specific.

23. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    Another thing, how many people even know that Vader is Anakin Skywalker? Maybe 10, and anyone who does know is gonna keep their mouth real shut about it. So it's not like a random imperial trooper is going to hear the name Skywalker and think anything of it. Stormtroopers even showed up at Luke's house, but just because they tracked the droids there. If Luke and the droids had been there and they just handed the droids right over the whole thing might have ended peacefully. A stormtrooper might have even thanked Luke Skywalker for his assistance and then one hour later delivered the droids to Darth Vader.

...and Obi-Wan and Yoda would think Anakin died. Obi-Wan cut both Anakin's legs and one arm off and left him on the edge of a river of lava as his head caught on fire. I don't think they assume he survived that. lol

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  24. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    You know, I don't think that's out of the picture, to be honest. Its just a matter of having the right context to show us something like that... canon has shown us Vader dismembering his Inquisitors during training, killing two of them just because they developed feelings for one another, stealing babies, and using his own troops as vessels of the dreadful Momin´s helmet. He is beyond evil, I feel. He just doesn't care about any of it.

25. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I'm not positive on this, but I think it was established that within the Empire, the only ones who knew Vader was formerly Anakin were Palps, obviously, Mas Amedda, and Tarkin. And the only reason Tarkin knew was he was able to piece things together and figure it out.

As far as Yoda and Obi-Wan thinking Anakin died, I have to disagree. Both know that Anakin has become Vader from the security footage at the temple. Plus with Obi-Wan's connection to Anakin, I think he would be able to sense if Anakin had actually perished. At the least he knows Vader is alive because he tells Luke about him in ANH. With Yoda's connection to force. If he can watch Luke from afar through the force, he would be able to also sense than Anakin was still alive.

After Ahsoka finds out in Rebels, that would make six that know Vader was formerly Anakin.