main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Your favorite trailers

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Dec 22, 2020.

1. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This is my favorite game trailer. I don’t know why I just like it

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000

It blows my mind that this trailer exists. It's so far ahead of its time, we're in 2020 and we haven't even gotten there yet. George C. Scott's credit gets me every time.

And I also love The Bishop's Wife, which, um, well, it takes some turns you don't expect from a trailer. I think the only trailer ever to contain the line, "You know what a trailer is?"

EDIT:

This is also one of my all-time favorites. I still vividly remember seeing it for the first time in a theater and my chair just shaking with those thunderous bass notes at the end. Disappointing movie, but not terrible. But legit one of the most intense trailers I've ever seen.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There was so much promise with this trailer. And sure, the first film was alright, but it was all downhill (or underhill if you prefer) from there.

Juliet316, Sarge and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I actually posted that Hobbit trailer on my FB when it was first released since I was so hyped about it.
    _________________________________________________________________________________

I have a few favorite trailers; some of them they only became my favorites after the movie was released. And just because the trailers are my favorites doesn't necessarily mean that the movie was among my favorites.

And if we're including game trailers, IMO nothing compares to this one.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  6. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    People can say what they want about this game, but this trailer is everything to me.

People can also say whatever they want about this movie, but about this trailer? Not on my watch.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The FFXIII trilogy was the last of the new numbered FF games that I had bought on Day 1 release (7: Remake doesn't count - I pre-ordered that one about nine months before its release). This teaser for XIII-2 with Lightning appearing at the end always gets me the right way.

Charmbracelet likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah I forgot about that one. Definitely among my favorites as well. Starts off with just images and posts of FB; only something that probably about 3/4 of the people on Earth either have their own pages on or know someone who does. Then cuts into the one person who started it all at a dorm room in Harvard.

---------------------------------------------

I definitely remember when this trailer came out in advance of the Special Edition releases in '97. It's not possible not to have gotten psyched up about them. People can complain about Lucas' new additions all they want, but it's hard to believe now but back then the notion of seeing a SW movie in a local theater was unfathomable.

10. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    That brings back so many memories of me in 10th and 11th grade re-watching Lightning's battle with Caius on YouTube. Jake is sanging his tail off in the background of that trailer, as well. They need to bring him back if they decide to do a song for FF XVI.

Speaking of FF songs (and trailers), I really liked Florence + the Machine's cover of "Stand by Me" in this trailer for FF XV:
    (the "Omen" trailer for FFXV will always reign supreme, however.)

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    We can include TV series in here too, right?

I had already fallen in love with TMIHC through the first two seasons. When I first saw this trailer, I just couldn't contain the goosebumps.

14. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Y'all remember this one? The hype for this movie was delirious and awesome.

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, that is a great trailer. I'm not a fan of that movie at all, but that trailer really gets me. The Russell Crowe monologue all building up to Superman's first flight . . . oh, man. That level of hope and inspiration is reflected nowhere in the movie unfortunately. I wish the movie had more of that spirit.

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I think you might be forgetting the REAL Super Mario Bros 3 commercial.

17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    The Superman returns trailer was great, mainly because it leaned heavily on Superman the Movie nostalgia that SR couldn't quite capture. It did in parts, but not as a whole. One trailer I really liked was the Fugitive. Another was the Cliffhanger trailer. Agree about the Man of Steel trailer, kind of sums up what i love about Superman.

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No trailer will ever be better than the “on the next Mad Men” promos.

Bacon164 likes this.
  19. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    P.T.A's has some really good ones:

Rogue1-and-a-half and Bacon164 like this.
  20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It’s a masterpiece of editing, because it tricks you into thinking Man of Steel is a Superman film. It’s like an official version of those internet videos where they recut The Shining as a family comedy.

21. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    "Man of steel" is Dutch for "man or shaft?"

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Speaking of The Master, I really loved the first teaser. Told you very little, but was very unsettling and intriguing.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It was fun/frustrating trying to track that trailer down in theaters. We didn't have solid info to go on and it wasn't attached to all the films it could potentially play in front of. You wanted it to be in front of First Contact, but it would inevitably be Jingle all the Way or Space Jam (the latter is the one time I saw it in theaters, and, damn was that escape pod moment's audio powerful).

It also had three different versions. The original that was mostly bootlegged had different Jabba footage. Then there's the "Presidents Day Weekend" one you embedded above and then there was the final "This January" variant when they changed the release date (I believe the ESB and ROTJ dates got new voice over too then as well).

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  24. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Inception was a great trailer. Obvious choice I know. The Dark Knight as well.

25. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999

christophero30 likes this.