main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What We Do in the Dark Side: Taika Waititi to direct/co-write new Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PymParticles , May 4, 2020.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Then we need to cancel Star Wars immediately.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Geez, that's not what he said at all. He made a joke about the way Star Wars fans sometimes react to new movies, while also professing to be a lifelong fan. It ain't that deep, guys.

3. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Haha, hilarious.

Waititi is going to blow everyone away with this movie. He has super powers!

4. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I'm really interested to see what he comes up with. If it really is going back to the Dawn of Jedi era, it could be extremely intriguing. A lot of missing lore in the canon to play with. It could be something truly different.

5. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Ok I understand now that taika watti was joking, but it does remind me of when Rian Johnson showing a sign saying “Your snoke theory sucks.”

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  6. Jimbing

Jimbing Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 15, 2020
    Amazing news, VERY excited about this. Saw the logo too on these forums and it looks so fresh and new/retro old. As Chalk Jedi said, Waititi does have SUPER POWERS!

El_Machete12 likes this.
  7. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I find it interesting that it seems they're letting Waititi to do pretty much what he wants on this project, yet on Solo when those two directors were trying to improvise a lot and pretty much made the movie into a comedy from what we heard, they got fired and instead they hired more old school reliable director that is friends with the boss to fix the mess.

Personally, I think it was Kasdan's doing, cause he hated what they were doing with his script and he had bigger pull with KK.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Who said Waititi can do whatever he wants?

9. CLo5

CLo5 Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2020
    Really hoping for it to be set during Dawn of Jedi Era, like it seems. Even before EU got turned to Legends that era was hardly explored. I'd love to see the fall of the Infinite Empire, the formation or early days of the Jedi or their predecessors. Would love to see Waititi's interpretation of the Rakata!

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I did.

PymParticles , Bor Mullet and GregMcP like this.
  11. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    If Taika Waititi is being given some freedom to do what he wants will that mean we get a Star Wars in his really offbeat, kooky style? I hope so, it would be pretty interesting. I enjoyed JoJo Rabbit and the one he did about Vampires, which is set up like a fly on the wall show. That one is really weird, but its a lot of fun

darthfettus2015 and Jimbing like this.
  12. Jimbing

Jimbing Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 15, 2020
    The main reason KK brought him in is because he is a franchise bringer backer. He brung back Thor from being sucks.

GregMcP likes this.
  13. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think the First Jedi could be a very dry, serious, sincere movie if put in the wrong hands.
    I might make the fans of filling out Wookieepedia happy, but maybe not all that fun and surprising.

So, put it in the hands of someone who will twist it and fun it up, and still put a plenty of heart into it.

14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yep, agreed. I think the film with that concept has a ton of potential to be fun, funny, exciting, fresh and new, and unbelievably weird, whether it's in Waitit's hands or not. His involvement simply makes it clear that, if that's the story and setting they go with, it won't be "dry, serious," but I do find his movies have a genuine sincerity to them underneath the goofiness. There's a beating heart in his work.

15. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Yeah I’m wondering if it’s the first Jedi and then maybe would we see the first dark side user I wonder who the foe would be this and acolyte and kenobi are the most exciting things to me!

16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    A few weeks ago, Daniel Richtman did post on his Patreon site (of which I'm a member) that a film about the first Jedi (or the beginnings of the Jedi Order, I can't remember which it was) was in development, and that the main character would be female. Maybe that is Waititi's film?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  17. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    As I remember, 'family' came before 'jedi'.

Lucas' 2nd draft of what would be later called ANH explained how it went: first, 'the holy man called Skywalker'; he taught the secrets of the force to his 12 children; and those children passed on what they had learnt to their children. The grandchildren were the first jedi.

This holy man was some kind of local hero: he brought peace to his system or something like that. And -later, one would assume- he was one of the founders of the Republic.

Maybe some of these elements from the 70s have been considered and kept. The PT jedi council had 12 seats; and we hear 11 jedi voices in TROS...and then Leia appears. Even Luke and his dozen students.

In mythical terms -Lucas was fond of those terms- it sounds like Jacob and his 12 sons>12 tribes of Israel>the chosen people. Both the collective and the individual merge somehow here, since Jacob, holy man, became known as Israel.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_wrestling_with_the_angel
    So, the jedi would have been the chosen one as a people. The chosen nation.

18. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    It was definitely Kasdan’s doing. Unfortunately the movie turned out worse for it. I still would love to hear what their take on Kasdan’s script was.
    You’re setting yourself up for disappointment if you think this is happening any time soon. Wayyyy down the road, possibly. But even then I’d argue it’s doubtful.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope not. This is a film subject that I'm VERY interested in, and I don't trust Taika with it. His tendency towards irreverence and silliness is not the right fit. Give him a wild adventure in the Unknown Regions, unrelated to the core lore of SW. Let him get as weird/silly/irreverent as he wants, without affecting things that I love about the GFFA. I can enjoy an oddball SW adventure, that stays in it's own sandbox, but giving him the story that would be ground zero for SW lore and history isn't something I'd be comfortable with.

Shamear likes this.
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Taika with Filoni could do wonders.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  21. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Number 12 represents perfection, entirety and order in most Western religions and cultures since ancient times, so it makes perfect sense for SW to use this number as well.

22. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    I would love to see it are his scopes accurate?

23. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    I think he also can do serious moments with a lot of heart

24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    He can. He has the ability, and the talent, but his instincts are to always inject the silliness, and go for the punchline to break up dramatic tension. I haven't seen a lot of his work, but from what I have seen, that is what he always does. What We Do In Shadow is comedy, JoJo Rabbit is satire, Thor: Ragnarok was pure farce, and his Mandalorian episode was good, but still opened with a long, meta comedy bit, at a time of high tension. He's good at what he does, but his instinct is to go for a joke, when things get heavy, and I don't prefer that approach.

Could he prove me wrong? Absolutely. He's clearly a smart and talented filmmaker. But, whatever film he's making, he will likely go with his gut. And his gut seems to tell him to "make'em laugh".

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I like Waititi, but agree that it would be odd to give him a foundational mythic story to tell. Let him go wild with something wackier and less galactically consequential, such as a story about a Jawa that moves to a water world because he doesn’t like sand. And put Kevin Costner and Jeff Golblum in it. Giving him a Jedi Origin film would be the equivalent of giving a comedically-oriented director a Silmarillion film that’s foundational for Middle Earth lore. Too much potential to pull the rug out from under the whole world of the GFFA, thereby over-exposing the artifice.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    Darth Smurf and Pro Scoundrel like this.