main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Darth Vader in Kenobi Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RX_Sith, Jul 18, 2020.

1. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Plenty of lines of dialogue implying Vader and Obi met post Mustafar pre ANH. And Kennedy already confirmed they are getting a rematch. I’d suggest preparing your expectations for just that as it’s happening.

2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I don't think there are any lines that really suggest they see each other before episode 4. but i also don't think there are any lines that would contradict it either. aslong as it ends in a way that matches with episode 4 then its fine.

themoth and Lulu Mars like this.
  3. darth_of_denmark

darth_of_denmark Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    By All means, give us some examples of lines implying that they met post Mustafar.

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    there are no lines that imply they didn't.

dick rodgers likes this.
  5. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    EVERY line of dialog between them confirms they did not meet between ROTS and ANH. There is no implication needed. Canon and continuity be damned as long as you get cool Jedi stuff that gives you a nerd-gasm.

Erkan12 likes this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    no they did not, all it says is he was the learner and he is the master and Kenobi thought as Luke did was not shows in ROST.

dick rodgers likes this.
  7. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Hate to say it but you are 100% correct. The amount of stretching, reaching & flat out contrivances that are going to be deployed to make any of this work is going straight to the guiness book of world records(does that book even exist anymore? lol). I mean.... this issue is just one example but the latest shows and announcements along with whats already happened is making a mess of things. Its almost like there needs to be two alternate SW universes: One for the films and then the video games, comics, TV shows, after school specials and the backs of cereal boxes. Did I miss anything? :). Because the more Im reading, the less its gong to jive and canon is going to require a degree in logistics to sort out, if you can even do it.

And yes, this isnt about quality story telling anymore - it appears to be facilitating that "nerd-gasm" that you mentioned. Sorry, Im just growing VERY weary of this expanded universe stuff.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  8. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    At some point well before the beginning of ANH Obi-Wan and Yoda realized Anakin was Vader. Obviously Obi-Wan knew exactly who he was when they met in ANH. ...but I don't think when the children were born in ROTS and Obi-Wan had just defeated Anakin that they assumed he survived.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  9. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004
    I agree with you that they shouldn't try to retcon and have Obi-Wan face Vader somewhere in this new series, but I don't think they are going to do that. I think they have two good options and can use both A) flashbacks to Obi-Wan and Anakin as friends in the Clone Wars B) wipes between what Obi-Wan is doing and what Vader is doing that don't directly/immediately affect each other. Those wipes have happened all throughout the series. ...here's what the good guys are doing/here's what the bad guys are doing.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    It's all one connective universe, the movies and tv shows are just as important to the story and can change and retcons certain things like Darth Vader is Luke's father. Seems like you don't like and that's why it dosen't make any sense. Tih s is the start of the Star Wars connective Universe.

11. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    @Elle-Wan

Please don't double post. If you have time use the edit button to add to your post. Otherwise please wait until someone else posts before posting again.

12. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    But considering Obi-Wan couldn't bring himself to deal the death blow to his friend, he cannot assume that Vader is dead either. I think because of their connection to each other through the force, Obi-Wan and Yoda knew that Vader didn't die on Mustafar. Also, if they believed Vader had died, what would be the point of hiding the children?

Erkan12 and cwustudent like this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Obi wan knew by AHN that Vader was still alive.

14. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004
    "To protect you [Luke & Leia] from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, that if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him." - Obi-Wan ROTJ

IMO... Obi-Wan didn't go down there and give him a coup de grâce, but he left him for dead. He was limbless, on fire, and immobilized in a spot (next to the lava river) where just continuing to be there would kill you. OW was definitely not thinking 'we'll be hearing from Anakin again' when he left Mustafar.

15. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Yes, he left him for dead, but did not kill him. As Vader was alive when Obi-Wan left him, he cannot truly assume one way or the other. Leaving someone for dead is not killing them. And as I said, having a connection to each other through the force, Obi-Wan should be able to sense if Vader had survived or not.

And my bad, I forgot about the line you quoted. Good point.

Elle-Wan likes this.
  16. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Flashbacks are the right idea here, IMO. It would feel the most normalized and wont require track & field quality logic leaps to accept any of it. I understand that these are fictional things and there is nothing wrong with some mis-alignment or things not quite gelling. But there's a fine line between that and outright WTF moments and galactic-sized contrivances which I fear the most. Just no way I can buy into any of it it gets too willy-nilly. You know what I mean.

But I am down with what you've mentioned and it makes the most sense to me. I actually think they should do a seperate Clone Wars era film that takes place between Ep2 and Ep3. Its a great spot for Obi-Wan & Anakin to develop their relationship. They could also infuse Ahsoka Tano stuff which would also be welcome.

Darth Chuck Norris and Elle-Wan like this.
  17. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004
    Yeah, I don't think it's definitive either way. There's definitely room for him to be alive, I just don't think OW would have left him there, knowing how powerful he is, if he thought it was likely he'd survive. In some ways it's almost an act of selfish cruelty for Obi-Wan to have left Anakin in such a state. It was easier emotionally for Obi-Wan to leave him 'alive' with the possibility - however remote - that he might survive. That way in Obi-Wan's memory he didn't kill Anakin. The fact that OW didn't give Anakin the coup de grâce kind of fits with my telling when you think about the purpose of a coup de grâce. It's an act of mercy to put a grievously injured person or animal out of its misery.

18. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Hear hear! Feels like more prequel-correction. Another duel to satisfy OT fans, bcs Vader wasn't in the suit and didn't have a red saber on Mustafar.

19. darth_of_denmark

darth_of_denmark Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    Eh I am an OT fan first and foremost and I don't need another Anakin/Obi duel. On the contrary I think it will just mess with what already exists.

20. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    And I’m going to love every minute of it.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  21. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    There's also the fact that Kenobi knows Vader is more machine now than man, and recognised Vader instantly in the suit - despite not seeing him survive and in the suit in ROTS.

Yes I suppose he could have seen him on the telly in his hut, but still...

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

22. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    What's kind of funny is that we've all been wondering how much Obi-Wan knows about Vader, and now we're wondering how this show will portray it, and then five minutes into the first episode we'll know and it'll be done. That's one thing I've learned from how The Mandalorian has unfolded. Fans have burning questions, boom, it happens, and the story moves on and everyone kind of forgets having discussed it to death (I'm thinking particularly of the "they retconned it so Mandos never remove their masks" discussions, but there are many more examples).

There's Obi-Wan dialogue in the Rebels episode "Twin Suns" that strongly suggests he's tuned into the Force in a way that lets him know a lot of stuff that's happening in the galaxy. He knows who Ezra is and even that Ezra's specific "role" in what needs to happen should really not intersect with Luke/Obi-Wan/Maul/Vader, and he knows Maul is coming. It'd be weird if he doesn't have similar insight into Anakin/Vader (who's a lot more closely linked to him) and probably Ahsoka and other Force-wielding strays out there. Yoda in Rebels has similar near-omniscient knowledge and contact with Kanan, Ezra and Ahsoka. Neither of them can see the real endgame for the Luke/Vader/Palpatine conflict "because Force reasons I guess" but they're pretty up on what's what.

Shamear likes this.
  23. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    So does this duel amount to nerd-gasm? No reason, just fan service?

QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  24. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Correct. Zero tangible tie-in to any stories or films. Look, its clear that some people cant get enough star wars. I actually can. Enough.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    This is not about fan service or nerdgasm. there is a story there to be told you might not like it. Fans have been crying over this for amny years, Ewan has been getting ready for this. This is a show where it can tie the PT with the OT.