main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    No problem!

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My Chrome was recently updated to version 86.0.4240.111 at work and it looks like I'm personally using Chrome 87.0.4280.66 and I can confirm that those previously mentioned 8 smilies don't work on either version.

I'm assuming since they work on Firefox and IE/Edge that it's just a "wait until Chrome fixes whatever is broken" type of thing. I don't get why a specific set of 8 don't work but all the others do.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    DarthIshyZ likes this.
  3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    As I explained a few pages ago, those 8 are hosted on an external server that is ancient and does not support encrypted traffic (HTTPS). Since the boards are served over HTTPS, this creates a security flaw on the boards, because HTTPS only works as intended if all content on the page is served via HTTPS. When you have non-HTTPS content on an HTTPS page, that is known as mixed content. Browsers have been quietly warning of mixed content for years (my Firefox shows a yellow warning triangle over the lock in the address bar), but now Chrome is leading the way in outright blocking the non-HTTPS portion of the content, with other browsers expected to follow suit within a year or two.

In other words, it's a security feature, not a bug. The only solution is for the JCF server admin to download those 8 smilies and upload them to the JCF server alongside the rest of the smilies, where they (like all of the other smilies) can be served over HTTPS.

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Mods, is there any intention of moving the 8 smilies like @jcgoble3 suggested? I also believe there are also more Star Wars emojis available compared to what we currently have so it would be cool if more were added to the current library as well.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean I only use these two :p :) so long as those are working I am good

DarthIshyZ and pronker like this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    This might be a problem on my end but I am getting more double posts or even the odd triple post. And no this isn’t caused by the usual pressing post to often. I press post once and I get two duplicates.

Is this something on my end or something else?

7. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    * Looks at the number of posts by Fett... chooses to keep his mouth shut. *

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I can’t watch the Simpsons all day when I go for my 6 hour long walks. Gotta do something to entertain myself.

Edit: I also just figured it out it’s on my end my router is nearing the end of its life

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    DarthIshyZ likes this.
  9. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Got a word for you... Podcasts. Especially this one: https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/ Three to four hours of informative, educational goodness. I listen to that one and to Planet Money (an economics podcast) on my walks.

But on the posts front, I'm just messing with you. I think you know that.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh I know. You know how many jokes I make about it myself. It has been a long time since I have listened to podcasts used to a lot back in High School

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    When I was in high school, we had just updated from smoke signals to semaphore. So don't talk to me about your new-fangled telegraphy.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Sorry it’s still not 1920 back when you had to kill a bear to get to school :p

13. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Remember that well, do ya?

Sarge likes this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, good times...

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Okay now I am almost certain there was something wrong and it wasn’t on my end. Did the forums stop working for a few hours for anyone else?

Sarge and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  16. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Planet Money is gold. I used to listen to Kai Risdall when I would drive home from work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pronker and DarthIshyZ like this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Last night, my entertainment was listening to Orson Welles perform on the radio as The Shadow. On a phonograph.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's possible - our host has a message that there was a partial power outage affecting some accounts at our location:
    12/21/20 12:15 pm UTC

We experienced a partial power outage to a subset of servers in our New Jersey location overnight. While most of the affected systems should have power and connectivity again now, our engineers are working to correct the remainder as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

I wasn't online this morning as I had stuff to do but things were fine when I came on this afternoon UK time.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    DarthIshyZ likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It was something like 10:20-1:00 EST I tried at 10:20 and at 12:30 both didn’t work.

Sarge and DarthIshyZ like this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The original status message was posted today around 340 AM UK time - which is 5 hours ahead of EST.

Dagobahsystem and pronker like this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    OK, I'll hold for General Hux.

22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    It died for me at about 10:15 PM EST last night.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I really wish you could actually block people on here and not just "ignore" them.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ It's ban-hammer time!

PCCViking likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean what would be the difference. I guess not having that little “you have ignored someone on this page” thing that pops up

DarthIshyZ likes this.