main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Acolyte Official “The Acolyte” Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 22, 2020.

1. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    I never said she’s owes any one anything. But that doesn’t mean I don’t think she knew he was a sick ****. I’d argue she probably knew quite well. EVERYONE knew. I’m not saying she shouldn’t work but I’m also not gonna pretend Harvey Weinstein’s personal assistant had no idea what he was into. Dude was compulsive as **** and could not help himself. I’d bet the farm she knew. That doesn’t mean I’m condemning her. But I do find it absolutely baffling and ironic that Kathleen hired her of all people to make a female focused show.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Citation needed

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You know what I am done with this conversation. There really isn’t a point in it.

Bor Mullet and dick rodgers like this.
  4. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    As long as it's not part of all that High Republic rubbish, we should be good.

5. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Boy oh boy...

Anyway, I'm putting everything on it in terms of when events occur, because it's the official word.

We have about 200 years prior to The Phantom Menace when the first stories start. And about 50 years prior to The Phantom Menace for the latest announced published story. And now "in the final days of the High Republic era" for The Acolyte.

So a nice timeline of events.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    What? The book is a Chinese exclusive. I would say the same thing if a book was exclusive to America, Canada, Switzerland, Sweden, England, Mexico, Spain, Ukraine, Russia, South Korea, Japan etc. the book is literally only written in mandarin.

There have been some comics that were made for Japan. But they also got US releases.

I would have less of a problem with it if everyone could read it and not just people who know Mandarin.

Actually I don’t have a problem with it I would just like to read it. I just think language or region locking something such as Star Wars is just weird.

7. dick rodgers

Feb 23, 2016
    Generally speaking. I’m not in the business of googling every single person who Weinstein came into contact with over the last 7 decades and getting their 2 cents on his sociopathy and sexual deviancy. But you listen to anyone who knew the guy even a little bit and it’s obvious that an insane amount of people turned the other way and continued to do business with him despite knowing how he treats women in the industry.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Robert Rodriguez worked for Weinstein’s company for years. You gonna say he was in on it to?

I just don’t think it’s right to accuse people without a shred of evidence that they enabled Weinstein or looked away

this is the last I’ll say about this. Unless something come out I ain’t buying into it sorry.

9. dick rodgers

Feb 23, 2016
    Are people pretending that Disney isn’t to this day still pandering to the Chinese government? Why do you think a film like Shang Chi was fast tracked? Lots of money to be made overseas. Huge market. It’s not racist for Jedi Knight Fett to point out the obvious. Btw I truly am excited for Shang Chi and I think it has the potential to be one of the best MCU films with the insane amount of talent involved. Plus it’s gonna be sick to finally get the real Mandarin and the Ten Rings.
    Wait, Rodriguez worked as Weinstein’s personal assistant for a year?

anyways, no ones accusing her I’m simply saying I doubt she had no idea of what he was doing. That’s all. I’m not trying to sell you on anything. You can buy or not buy into whatever you please!

Glitterstimm likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No. But he worked for him for years. But I am done with this.

11. dick rodgers

Feb 23, 2016
    Not as his PERSONAL ASSISTANT though. Quite different. But I’m also done we can let it go now if you’d like!

12. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Thank you for clarifying. Because your initial post come off to me as dismissive of the story; what with not putting much stock into it, and mainly calling it pandering.

Either way, in the video, which is in English, they said that "This is a story that needs to fit within our overall canonicity," and "These characters are thriving Star Wars characters that could show up again and populate other media." So there is a chance of the character showing up elsewhere. And the main character is named Sean, so chances are maybe pretty good.

Never mind that Sean isn't really that creative for a Star Wars name, in my opinion, but whatever... It's like naming a Star Wars character John or something. Like who would do that. :cool:

Anyway, getting back on topic and The Acolyte: "a mystery-thriller that will take the audience into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark side powers in the final days of the High Republic era."

And Leslye Headland...
    ...yep, still no clue as to what it's about. :cool:

13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    If the show is focused on dark side users and it's 50 years prior to TPM, then we are getting Plagueis.

Nothing else is mandatory. Maybe we'll get a Yoda scene or two, but I doubt it. And idc either way. We've seen Yoda enough and I am still trying to forget his last appearance.

I hope this show has a very unique tone and setting. It should have lightsaber battles and Jedi discovering the rise of the dark side, but either not surviving enough to inform people or just joining the dark side. Or not discovering the full extent, aka the Sith part.

But we'll see, this show is not coming out this next year, so we have time to wonder and right now that's pointless.

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    With it being 50 years before TPM and 40 years before the birth of Anakin Skywalker, i could see this show explore how all it came to be. I could see Darth Plagueis starting with his grand plan. I think this like Mandalorian can spin off many adventures in this era. This show might not cover more then 10 years. But i think it slowly cover this era of the end of high republic and start of the prequel era. I think Yoda cameo but Dooku being a future sith might have expanding role.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Thank you I appreciate it

dick rodgers likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Just to be clear my post you quoted was not in reference to you. It was in reference to the person who started this unfortunate tangent.

dick rodgers likes this.
  17. Huncrweo

Huncrweo Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 3, 2020
    Weinstein worked closely (read: messed with) most if not all of the directors he worked with for a similar length of time as Leslye Headland was working for him, so you may as well condemn Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez, James Mangold, Bernardo Bertolucci, Martin Scorsese, Kevin Smith, Tony Scott, Anthony Minghella, Wes Craven, Gus Van Sant, Todd Haynes and Ryan Coogler while you're at it. Everyone suspected that something must have been going on, since Weinstein was such an emotionally abusive boss, but it's not like there was a big Hollywood conspiracy to cover it up.

18. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Honestly based on what little we know so far I keep thinking Killing Eve but in space. Which would be awesome in its own way, but I’d want it to be its own thing and not simply elicit comparisons. You have your globe/galaxy-trotting, your dark organizations, your mystery-thriller. Can’t wait to learn more.

ladygrey45 and Shamear like this.
  19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Man, I really don't care to make any negative comments towards Lesley Headland, because at the end of the day none of us can even remotely guess what she knew or didn't know, what relationship she had with Harvey Weinstein, if she looked the other way, etc.

But when I read that stuff I just can't not roll my eyes. How on earth is it possible that working ONCE with a director, which might have even included fewer than 10 meetings in person in their whole lives, is equivalent, the same, or even MORE like some people would suggest, than having a personal assistant for 6 years.

I agree, there was no conspiracy to cover it up. But there were probably MANY people that looked the other way, or became cynical with how things are, or straight up were afraid. And at the end of the day, in the completely hypothetical scenario where Headland had some solid proof that Weinstein was the disgusting person he is, I would honestly not criticize her at all. Or anyone else who would be in such a lesser position of power within that setting.

But to go and say that if there was anything shady that his personal assistant knew about then we should condemn every single person that has worked with Weinstein ever, that's..... such a stretch. Might as well condemn the florist and the cleaning personnel where he worked, or the delivery guys who once delivered Chipotle or something.

Conclusion: Whatever might have or might have not taken place between Headland and her job and Weinstein, is irrelevant to this topic, does not have any proof at all at the moment, and if something were to be revealed, we could always discuss it then.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  20. dick rodgers

Feb 23, 2016
    Appreciate you clarifying friend. Regardless I shouldn’t be pushing the matter as it doesn’t really matter now anyways and I am excited for this show for obvious reasons. Bout time we get SW set in the ole days.

21. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    "There are going to be some characters you don’t know about."

Soooo, there will be characters we do know about?

DurararaFTW and Shamear like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Headland was a personal assistant to Weinstein for ONE year, not six, as far as I am aware.
    Um, the announcement very explicitly says that it is set during the later years of the High Republic...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  23. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Later years. Hopefully after all those new characters (in the books) are dead and gone.

24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    the books, and comics aren’t even out yet, there’s no reason not to like the characters in them yet?

I don’t expect this show to have a lot of connection with the books and comics though

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    Riv_Shiel and Huncrweo like this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    it is 50 years before the prequels.