main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Acolyte Official “The Acolyte” Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 22, 2020.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If this show does take place 50 years before TPM that would mean Palpatine is like 2

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Isn't he just 50 by TPM.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    No he was born in 84 BBY which would be 2 years after the high republic ends around 50 years before TPM which is 82 BBY

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    ok, thanks so in when Palpatine is ayoung man is when Pagueis takes him as his apprentice, so we have under 20 years to Palpatine comes and join the sith. So something has to happen to this new female either before or during Palpatine's training.

5. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    If they did a relationship similar to eve and villanelle with both women. God. I would like to see it. I’m not sure why ppl want to see people who we already know what happens to that’s not exciting or fresh like maybe Plagueis but like that’s it no other characters we know focus on a new Jedi crop or sith crop please, make something entirely original.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  6. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Obviously my rationale for Asajj Ventress is that The Acolyte isn't set 50 years before The Phantom Menace. The only thing we know at this point that's set about 50 years before The Phantom Menace is the Chinese web novel for the High Republic publishing project.

The Acolyte of course "will take the audience into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark side powers in the final days of the High Republic era."

So "in the final days" puts it right up against The Phantom Menace in my view. And this is working under the assumption that The Phantom Menace marks the end of the High Republic era. And I'm going with that because since the High Republic is still going on 50 years prior, then The Phantom Menace is as good a cut-off point as any, to me.

And Asajj Ventress because visually she's a cool looking character to me. The bald head is a stark and striking image. And storywise what we got in the Clone Wars was interesting to me. And the The Acolyte is going to be female-centric, so there's that.

Also, Lucasfilm's history on her...
    And Count Dooku as her Master, because, and maybe somewhat surprising (bringing in Sifo-Dyas), because of what Dave Filoni had said...

So yeah, to me The Acolyte is about Asajj Ventress and Count Dooku until Lucasfilm says I'm wrong. :cool:

And yes, Count Dooku may be a bit problematic as Asajj Ventress' Master, for say, something set roughly 5 to 10 years before The Phantom Menace. But the easy workaround for that is to say Dooku found her at around the age of 15. And that's when we get the "I can sense the darkness within you. I will teach you the ways of the dark side." And say that when he finds her is 5 years before The Phantom Menace. That's maybe where we start her training, which goes on (on and off in secret) for 10 or 15 years until Dooku feels that she's ready to do his bidding, and face-off against the likes of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker. (And the animation flashback. Yeah, yeah, yeah. It was a flashback. So there's your loop hole. Done.)

Or 5 to 10 years prior can just be where we meet her and leave Dooku out of it for a few years. We can say this is where we begin the "mystery-thriller that will take the audience into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark side powers in the final days of the High Republic era." And this happens during the final days of the High Republic era, and we lead up to Count Dooku.

A little convoluted, yes. And I imagine (or at least assume) that you may need to throw out most if not all of Jedi Lost by Cavan Scott. But whatever. You have Disney+ closing in on 90 million subscribers. If a novel may have to take one for the team, for the Mouse House, then so be it. :cool:

And yeah, bringing in Sifo-Dyas would be extremely cool too, to me. But that's neither here nor there.

But yeah, they can do other things other than Asajj Ventress that would be cool to me too. I can think of some really cool things within the premise that I would like.

Asajj Ventress just seemed like something they can make work if they wanted, and if that's what Leslye Headland pitched to Lucasfilm. She may well have pitched a new character as the lead and Lucasfilm went with that... Only time will tell.

Let's see what they do.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Hope so, could do a lot worse than having Doug Jones playing him.

8. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

9. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I'm tellin' ya, Sly Moore and the Umbarans!

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I agree with those who have been discussing how this could very well scrape up against The Phantom Menace.

"The end" of the High Republic Era is such a moving target without any abrupt, single cut off point in the same way that the Mandalorian and the Sequels have made it clear that the Imperial era did not just slam on the brakes after one major incident.

If there is an "end" of the High Republic and then a death of the Republic during the Clone Wars I can't imagine we are meant to believe that the 50 years between the end of the High Republic and the death of the Republic are just the peaceful old age of the Republic or the hospice stage of the Republic. It's still the active end leading to the ultimate end.

This show could fall anywhere on that calendar.

11. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I still wish for this series to not have Darth Plagueis. If the series begins only 50 years pre TPM (last year of the HR), then he should appear, but if it starts farther away (but still near the end of the HR) then we should get both memebers of the sith duo before Plagueis.

One of the reasons why I don’t want him, is simply because we know how he dies. Killed in his sleep by Palpatine. If we got young Plagueis, we know for sure he is going to off his master.

But if the Sith duo were both new characters, we would be uncertain who will win in their final duel. One of them will go on to train Plagueis, but who would it be? The Master or the Acolyte? People might assume the Acolyte will eventually kill the Sith Master, but In a twist ending she fails and is killed herself.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    ladygrey45 likes this.
  12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Seems clear we are headed toward nefarious encounters between Darth Plagueis and Jar Jar Binx.

ThisIsTheWay and RetropME like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s still possible this doesn’t have anything to do with the Sith

CrazyOldJedi and RetropME like this.
  14. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    With the news that Rayne Roberts is co-developing this series with Leslye Headland, it seems like Lucasfilm is using the same strategy they did with The Mandalorian. Hire a filmmaker you want to work with... then pair them with a SW insider to serve as a resource.

For Mando, it's Favreau + Filoni. For Acolyte, it's Headland + Roberts. We'll see if it works again, but I think they might have stumbled on a good formula.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Bor Mullet and DarthFixxxer like this.
  15. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Also I hope this is more story based and less episodic than the Mandoliran but yeah I agree with this maybe she goes on to train plaigeusis that would be very cool to see!

16. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Weren’t the crowd of beings in Palpatine Stadium called ‘acolytes’?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    [​IMG]

18. DannyD

Dec 16, 2017
    Was Darth Plageuis always known as such?

19. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    What do you mean

21. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017

[​IMG]

From the New York Times:
    From BBC:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    And for all we know it could change again.

23. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    The potential appearance of Sith Lords and Nightsisters in this series brings to mind Showtime’s original Penny Dreadful series, which was just fantastic. Since I think anyone who hasn’t watched it should do so, I’ll use spoiler tags for a show that ended 4 years ago. But here are some of those general parallels:

We have Vanessa Ives as a main character who is devout in her beliefs but often torn between them and her dark impulses. Then there’s all the influences around her that make this divide even worse. Indeed thinking about it now, I wonder whether Wendig may have been alluding to Penny Dreadful when he dropped references about the Cantata of Cora Vessora in Aftermath. It fits so well. She was, of course, also a witch. And on that subject...

We also have the Nightcomers, a truly great take on witches and one that doesn’t devolve the concept to a weak-sauce new-age take on witches or something laden with wispy swirly vfx. I love Buffy, but ‘90s TV and movies were terrible for the aesthetics of witchcraft. Here we had honest-to-goodness devotees of the Devil, and with none of the usual silliness that usually comes from these cults as depicted in visual media. They were a truly intriguing hybrid of the demonic and the human, or rather what can happen to a human being who makes use of demonic powers.

Then finally we have the Dark Lords themselves, Lucifer and Dracula. Operating from the shadows, hidden sometimes in plain sight, and intending to turn around the order of the world to take their revenge on the light. In Penny Dreadful they were opposed to one another, but just describing them right now makes them sound like Sith Lords from this time period.

If The Acolyte is able to bring even some of these gothic themes, in their own way of course, to the Star Wars universe as well as Penny Dreadful did, I will probably love it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I could definitely see it. I might not be as convinced that it’s a Sith as everyone else but I do think it will be a dark sider

25. DannyD

Dec 16, 2017
    I haven't read any background material on Plagueis. Did he have another name?