main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well your already getting one

2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Yeah I was just using it as an example. Honestly, the Lando show is the one I am the least excited about.
    But I suppose it could be good, depending on how much worldbuilding it has.

3. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    I suppose it would be interesting if Rogue Squadron led to a Disney+ series.

After all, Lucasfilm went to Patty Jenkins with the idea and she apparently liked it enough to go ahead and direct it.

I believe it was in 2017 when Disney started developing programs for Disney+, so depending on when Rogue Squadron was being developed at Lucasfilm, spinning-off to Disney+ may have already been in the plans.

And as I am wont to do, looking for a Force connection, I suppose they could take a page out of Mobile Suit Gundam and go with the Newtype concept.

Of course, it's Star Wars and they can just say that they're Force-sensitive, but whatever. :cool:

Also, it would most likely be one show out of many, so...

And assuming Rogue Squadron is post-Skywalker saga, seeing Ahsoka, Grogu and Rey together in a series set during the same time period could be fun. Daisy Ridley would probably come back, she may be willing to be Disney-plused. Throw in Temiri Blagg, maybe. A few other characters. It could be fun.

And I still want a Church of the Force series. With Chirrut Îmwe-type characters. That could be cool.

4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I would think they would hope not because as of now they are looking for something to latch onto in the movies.

5. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    After watching Mandalorian Seasons 1 & 2, Clone Wars, Rebels, and after reading the new Thrawn novels that are canon in the Disney era, here is what I'd like to see happen in future Star Wars television (and movies):
    1. I'd like to see Ahsoka meet Luke and for her to learn about the redemption of Anakin from none other than his Jedi Master son.
    2. Thrawn should initially APPEAR to be a big bad villain in the Ahsoka series, but it needs to be subterfuge with his ultimate goal being to use the Empire (and the New Republic) to join with the Chiss and fight against the Grysk (see the 4 new Thrawn novels for backstory). If you read the books, he's not an evil villain. Frankly, he's honorable and noble and had no love for the Emperor. I've LOVED this new portrayal of the Grand Admiral and I want him to be a protagonist, not the big baddy.
    3. I'd like to see them introduce Ezra as an ally of Thrawn, after he is taken into the unknown regions and learns of the Grysk threat from the Grand Admiral. It could be a nice swerve for the TV viewing audience with the fans of the novels not being surprised at all.
    4. I hope that they bring Timothy Zhan in as a writer for the Ahsoka series and especially for the Thrawn storyline.
    5. Speaking of the Grysk, I think that would be the best "climactic story event" that was alluded to in the description of Rangers of the New Republic. Think the Vong war from Legends but with the Grysk as the baddies. Oh man, it could be good!
      • I envision the Imperial Remnant, The Chiss (probably shown in Ahsoka), criminal underworld (The Book of Boba Fett), the Mandalorians (Bo Katan and Mando being the leaders), the New Jedi Order that Luke is building (hopefully shown in his own series and with Grogu being involved somehow), and New Republic (likely built up in Rangers of The New Republic and maybe in Rogue Squadron)...all allied against a greater Grysk threat from the unknown regions. It would be new to Star Wars on the TV screen and would finally get us past the overused Empire vs Rebels stories. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about the possibility.
    6. In my heart of hearts, I would love to see them de-canonize the ST to allow for even more story growth with these shows. The ST is frankly in the way and the only loss I would feel is no longer having Carry Fisher's final performance being in canon. That being said, I'll get over it.

Anyway, just some of my wishful thinking. We'll see what happens but these ideas would be my fanboy dreams come true.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Darth Nave and Darth_Bertie like this.
  6. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I don’t think the shows should be the only future because they can’t storywise compete with the movies now if they make the shows more like movies ala stranger things then a show they would be better they have the effects but the story isn’t 100 percent solid and I want them for the love of god to get out of the OT make something way into the past explore the lore I’m not really excited with the new direction all the Star Wars stuff I’m excited for doesn’t come out until 2022. We don’t need a Lando show a Han show , we need fresh Jedi stories the only show would be a Luke show. hell I’d like to see a Luke movie.

7. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    A show or movies about the Jedi-Mandalorian Wars would be one of the top things on my wishlist now. Due to the popularity of the Mandalorian, and portraying how powerful Luke( or Jedi overall) was on screen, I feel it'd be hit even among casual viewers.

ladygrey45 likes this.
  8. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I could see all this happening, but never between ROTJ and TFA, but after TROS. With Ahsoka having trained Grogu for several years and both joining the fight about this new extra-galactic villain.

It would be a very interesting way of merging the key characters from the Skywalker Saga with what comes next.

9. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I could see them doing a Disney+ Darth Maul film... taking place either pre-TPM (something similar to the novel Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter) or in the Solo era. We know they have been planning to continue using the character going forwards although I think a full series would be overkill, a one-off film would be perfect.

10. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Outside of Asajj Ventress for Leslye Headland's The Acolyte, I would not be shocked if they went with a re-imagined Darth Talon and had her as The Acolyte to Darth Maul.

It probably wouldn't happen, but I've found if you guess enough times you might get lucky.

So yeah, a re-imagined Darth Talon and Darth Maul for The Acolyte. Or Asajj Ventress and Count Dooku for The Acolyte.

Or "new character" and "new character" for The Acolyte.

And I'm probably only half-right on that guess. Because no way would they go with "new character." :cool:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    RetropME likes this.
  11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Except that TROS has Ahsoka as one of the Jedi voices so therefore in the Force and no longer in the physical world.

I don't think they are going to bother all that much with worrying about how anything actually ties into the DST anymore than those movies worried about how they tied into each other or into Lucas' movies.

Their approach has been to rewrite but pretend that it isn't a rewrite and that it all somehow works together. For example I don't think we are ever likely to see the Luke that TLJ says existed prior to the DST. Why would anyone want to do that or want to see that? As well as not being true to the character it's just not going to be popular or exciting as a series.

Any Luke they present in future will be based on the actual character and not the one that Rian Johnson created for the purposes of his lone movie. They'll just skate around that to the point where there will be no logical progression from actual Luke to the TLJ one but if anyone wants to figure something out for themselves to explain it they are welcome to do so.

12. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Well, Filoni himself confirmed Ahsoka speaking to Rey in TROS did not mean she was dead. She is one of the most popular SW characters now. The last one Lucas created. So I find it hard to believe we are going to see her dying anytime soon.

Regarding what you call the DST, call it all new SW the DSW then. Cause everything is created under the same umbrella. I dislike the ST as much as many other fans. But to think because I dislike it LFL is going to ignore it or retcon it would be simply fooling myself. And this is just not an opinion, is based on facts. The only relevant SW content we have seen since TROS has been the Mandalorian. And while season 1 was pretty much stand alone, we have seen with the second season the connections with the rest of the saga start to appear.

Now, if the ST was going to be ignored, why do the creatures in the clonning tanks resemble Snoke? Why the whole Grogu's blood plot seems to make perfect sense with Snoke being created and Palpatine searching for a new body?

Don't kid yourself. LFL will make everything possible to make the ST less of a burden for SW. Giving context to certain events (silly as they might be), giving big shining moments to beloved characters that we did not see in the ST... Luke? LFL does not need to show depressed Luke anytime. A show about Luke's adventures before he met Ben could have a lot of moments like the one we saw in Mando. An animated TV show about Luke's Jedi Temple could show how great of a techer he was without showing how crazy he became after Ben destroyed it all.

The ST might be a turd, but countless content can be created before it in the timeline and same goes for content after the ST too. So the ST could pretty much be enriched or even ignored without making any inconsistencies.

13. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Exactly. And this is more or less how we got Clone Wars.

Darth Nave and Darth_Bertie like this.
  14. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I do not get why some people are hoping for a Windu series. Sam Jackson is cool and I liked Mace in the PT but he was mostly a bland by the books character. I don’t see how you make that interesting other than purely being a show about a Jedi. I’d rather a show about another Jedi we don’t know.

I really hope they don’t make him survive that fall and/save Grogu.

15. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I’d rather Grogu was saved by a non-Jedi. Kind of like how Bail helped with Padme and the twins.

my kind of scum likes this.
  16. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    Or the Bad Batch.

cerealbox likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I only went back 2 page to see if this was posted already.

Mandalorian season 3 will be delayed.

The Book of Fett will air and then production of season 3 will start. It might be late December but may be early 2021 instead.

18. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    @VadersLaMent I think Favreau said Mando is in pre-production now, and they'll be filming it right after production for Boba.

19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    If Ashoka was alive during the ST era, it would be such a retcon.

It would be even worse then the question of “where was Ahsoka during the OT?”. Since we have proof in the TRoS that the voice of Ashoka is one of many voices of dead Jedi. Her being a special case and not actually dead would be so odd and just seem like she is wrapped in plot armor and not killable.

A character being popular is not a good reason to never kill them off. After all Vader, Obiwan, Yoda, and Luke are all dead, though Disney still continues to benefit with there popularity and gives us more stories about them.

The easiest answer in why Ashoka never helped the Resistance fight the First Order and why so far the First Order never mentioned/saw her, is because she is dead by the time TFA rolls around.

I do agree they have plenty of time to decide her fate. From her appearance in the Mandalorian, there is 19yrs until Luke’s Academy goes boom, 25 years until TFA. Also the RoTJ-Mando s2 gap years to explore. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get more dark time stories for her (maybe a bad batch appearance). My point being there is a lot they can still do with Ahsoka and her popularity while eventually coming to a decision of how she dies before the events of the ST.

20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Which exactly makes the point of the precedent set in those movies. For Ahsoka to be one of the voices of Jedi past she has to be dead like all the others are... except maybe she isn't.

Which doesn't even address how Mace Windu or Aayla Secura could possibly be among them.

It's like Rey's parents who she remembers definitely leaving on a space ship expecting them to return...except she knew that they were actually dead all along and buried on Jakku...except no they actually did leave on a spaceship but were killed after that. Whatever they need it to be when they want it to be.

I don't see how. They are ignoring/rewriting it themselves. 7 additional live-action series announced and none of them after the DST. The Rogue Squadron movie might be set after it but that isn't confirmed but even if it is that doesn't mean there will be any meaningful connections to it. It's just set after those events.

Which is to be fully expected. As I said they aren't going to set it aside per se but use the precedent set in those very movies themselves. Ignore and rewrite all around but pretend that it all seamlessly fits together. The skeletal structure of the events will still happen but the sinews that bind them together will be constructed anew.

Well then we basically agree but I don't think they are at all concerned by any inconsistencies. Those will just be ignored as not an issue. The precedent is already set by the complete transformations from one movie to the next.

They've already "adjusted" that because we have an actual post-ROTJ Luke who is restarting the Jedi Order as he was supposed to yet the DST first said that he only got as far as dozen or so padawans in a training temple that was destroyed some 5 years before TFA. The Mandalorian is 20 years before that and BTW later we find out he had trained Leia even before that.

Before it's over we'll likely find out that Luke found, trained, retrained or reintergrated a number of Jedi left over from Order 66 be they Masters, Knights, apprentices, padawans or younglings like Grogu.

21. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I really want a Jedi origin movie , I don’t want theatrical to go away they should use both mediums ! That being said Jedi origin movie, acolyte show maybe a Luke live action linear story based series and Jedi vs mandalore epic movie!

22. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    @Qui-Riv-Brid SW has always played around inconsistencies with the existing canon. I have made peace with that.

A different thing would be expecting 180º retcons. Luke doing what he does in the Mando is perfectly in line with what we know about him in the ST. To me it serves LFL as a way to prove Luke had some very interesting years before we acted like he did in the ST. When LFL is finished with the content between the OT and the ST, Luke will still be remembered by all his great adventures and actions, instead of by his sad last 10 years.

Darth Nave likes this.
  23. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I found this on r/saltierthancrait. With the rumors that have been going about... I do find myself wanting to believe that this will come true:

[​IMG]

It would also clear up a number of things, such as Rey hearing Ahsoka's voice. In this scenario, Rey would be living in the timeline in which Ahsoka was slain on Malachor, hence why she heard Ahsoka's voice along with the other dead Jedi who came through to aid her against the emperor reborn.

It could also be the case that the lab on Navarro was the facility in which Snoke was being developed, but the butterfly effect in the Ahsoka-survived timeline resulted in the place being blown up by Din, Greef, Cara et. al. Whereas in the Ahsoka-killed timeline, things went differently and it was left alone, and did birth Snoke.

I do wonder though if some high Disney execs might have a "sunk cost fallacy" thing going on in their heads with regards to the ST, that would make them oppose doing this, even if Filoni, Favreau etc. were in favor of it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Glitterstimm and kalzeth like this.
  24. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Nah. It ain’t going to happen. One timeline.

RetropME likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That sub is a cesspit of the worst types of Star Wars "fans". Anything that comes out of there comes from a place of hate and gross entitlement, and should be disregarded as absolute drivel.