main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    While some people there are as you said (like everywhere, literally on every social medium), there is an huge amount of really funny content on that reddit channel too, and memes. It's pretty extreme to say that everything that comes from that source is garbage just because some of it is.

kalzeth, RetropME and ChefCurryWindu like this.
  2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Actually I don't think it would be a bad idea to have two timelines. Interesting.

kalzeth and Darth Nave like this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yes but those memes don't make their way to the greater internet, just the angry garbage. Memes are generally harmless, the blathering is not. There's a very general base for that sub that's rooted in, well, salt, so more often than not if people are talking about the sub elsewhere it's not the memes they're talking about. Better to lump the sub with other stains on the SW name like WeGotThisCovered. There's less toxic places to find memes.

my kind of scum likes this.
  4. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    This would be absolutely ridiculous, and not in a good way. Star Wars is the story of a far away galaxy from a long long time ago. There is only one timeline. Don't obliterate the entire foundation of Star Wars just because a few people online don't like how the story is going.

5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I guess this would fit better in the "Marvelization of Star Wars" thread, but Marvel (and DC) has been doing alternate timelines since their beginning, and it still works.

I am not saying it is best for Star Wars, just that it is interesting to consider.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    kalzeth likes this.
  6. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Different timelines and alternative universes is almost an inevitability in every major franchise that expands beyond a certain level. I also don't see the big deal if that were to happen. It's all made up stories about fictional characters anyway, the fact that Disney decides what to call "canon" has a minimal effect on what content I prefer, love, accept or acknowledge really personally. So the scenario of alternative timelines doesn't bother me one bit.

kalzeth likes this.
  7. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Alternative timelines would cheapen Star Wars for me.

There are lots of good operatic and mythic stories that don't have this plot device and they make wonderful stories to revisit for what they are, not for what they might become through time travel re-narration. Time travel feels like leaving the door open for any story to be undone.

(I'll admit those same stories have other strange plot devices, like longevity or improbable magic...)

I can see that other franchises do have a lot of fun with time travel, and I enjoy those. It just doesn't fit SW for me. (I haven't seen the World Between Worlds yet...)

my kind of scum likes this.
  8. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    I mean, technically, the old EU/Legends stuff is an already established alternate universe.

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    gdsg dgsdsgsg sdsg d

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You have a stroke there? :p

DarthFixxxer and Krueger like this.
  11. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Honest question, is there any appetite for a SW alternate timeline that's not tied in to people wanting some or all of Legends to continue?

I know there's some degree of ST criticism that stands apart from affinity for the old EU, but most of the earnest desire for ST decanonization (which is totally not going to happen, of course) seems to be from Legends devotees, while the rest of us may or may not like the ST -- I only like 2/3 of it -- but tend to feel like "it happened" and everything else can work around it. Maybe I'm wrong.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  12. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I’m in the one timeline camp. I like that everything from the Disney takeover has been one canon. It’ll have inconsistencies but most, if not all, are inconsequential.

I’m saying that I wouldn’t mind a what if series like the infinities comics from back in the day. Those were fun.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I love most of the stuff in the old EU and definitely all the stories that focus in the first 45 years after Return Of The Jedi. However, that's not the reason I am not a fan of the ST. I can evaluate these things separately, and it's not like I ever have some huge desire to see the old EU on the big screen. I knew they wouldn't do that. Cause then they would have to deal with the inevitable comparison between the "books and the movie", and they would also have the entire story spoiled from people who have read the books. In fact, I almost did NOT want them to reprise the books, so that I can have a new story to follow. Just not the one they gave us.

Having said that, if millions of fans were asked, no, told, that everything they had followed and loved for 15-20 years as canon is just not canon anymore and they should suck it up, then it shouldn't be a problem if the ST were to ever be de-canonized. Which I don't think will happen of course, but it's quite selfish for people to say "you can't do that to ST fans, it's a slap on the face" when it has already been done to millions of fans already in 2013 and no one batted an eye.

If all the people that had to accept the fact that Corran Horn (and his family), Seba Sebatyne, Anakin Solo, Jacen and Jaina, Mara Jade, Tenel Ka and the dozens of characters that appeared in all of these stories are now non canon, then I am sure that people should be able to accept Rey Finn and Kylo Ren not being canon anymore. And again, it's not happening.

kalzeth likes this.
  14. ThisIsTheWay

Nov 24, 2019
    I don’t have any strong feelings for or against the concept of an alternate timeline. Nor do I have any particularly strong love for the post ROTJ EU stuff either.

I’m just pointing out that one does technically already exist so there is a foundation of sorts in place for the multiverse/alternate universe concept should they ever decide to go in that direction.

kalzeth and Ricardo Funes like this.
  15. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    "The books already had this stuff" never stopped Game of Thrones from becoming the most popular TV series of the 2010s. In fact, it wasn't until the show overran the books and Weiss+Benioff were out on their own, that the quality took a nose dive.

Many a Red Wedding reaction video featured a smug book reader who knew what was coming, sitting in a room full of sweet summer children their show-watching-only friends... and it was glorious.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Legends is not an alternate timeline. Not according to Lucasfilm. The reason they called it Legends was because it can be looked at as embellishments of things that happened in the GFFA. Like there was a real Thrawn, Han and Leia had a son who turned to the dark side and the Emperor really did return in a clone body but none of these things happened the way Legends tells them.

Merric and Grey Matter like this.
  17. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    The fact that no one knew how GoT would end was a major part of its appeal. If Martin had written ALL the books from before and people knew what they would see, then they wouldn't be as invested. Now you can of course raise me with Harry Potter as an argument, but the argument still remains that 5 of the movies had already come out when Rowling published the ending, so people would of course tune in for the last 2 books (3 movies) after that, they were already invested and at the same time those books were REALLY well made.

And you can of course mention the LOTR series, but the fame of the LOTR saga and the books was far too big for people to not go to the movie theaters and watch them like hordes of orcs. If they had made the sequels from the EU books, I suspect people would be bummed out to know how it all ends, regardless of the way. There is a strong chance I am wrong, since this is a hypothetical scenario, and the SW brand might have led people to the theaters like crazy as it did with HP and LOTR. After all, that mostly depends on how well these movies would have been made.

This is only a handful and pretty vague number of things that are common between the two. It most certainly is an alternate timeline. Otherwise where is Mara Jade and where are Luke's kid and the other kids by Han and Leia? And the Yuuzhan Vong? And Lumiya? And the Lost Tribe of the Sith? And Abeloth? I suspect they might actually bring a couple of those things into canon, but as it stands right now the Legends and the official canon are vastly different, and most certainly alternate timelines.

ArindaRise and kalzeth like this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I never said they weren’t massively different. Of course they are. But according to the company that sets the canon they are not set in an alternate reality. You can always view them that way if you wish but officially they are not.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Oh the company has officially told me that they are what I want them to be, so I choose them to be the official canon personally, not an alternate reality.

What I am saying is that the company just applied the blanket term "Legends" to get rid of any confusion and start with a clean slate, in a lazy way in my opinion. And of course you have the whole ordeal with the rights to the authors, but that's a different story. Legends are not considered canon in any way now, they are essentially a databank of information that LFL borrows ideas from these days. It still remains stuff that didn't happen in their canonical universe, it's more like a what if scenario.

kalzeth likes this.
  20. ThisIsTheWay

Nov 24, 2019
    They may not currently classify it as an alternate reality but that’s what it essentially is. All it would take for them to officially make it an alternate reality (again, only if they ever want to go in that direction) is to acknowledge it as such. That’s all I meant, not that it was an already canon AU.

21. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    I've been thinking this in my head for awhile now.

I'm not a hater of the ST. I actually enjoyed it for what it was. I will agree with criticism that it should have been better planned out and comes across as disjointed and contradictory because of it. But it was also fun for me.

I've had the opposite idea of the 'alternate' timeline above; I've thought that pulling Ahsoka through the WBW changed the timeline to the current one that ends in the ST. My head canon (one I don't take very seriously, just indulge as a fun thought process) is that before she is saved from Vader, the timeline unfolds into the one known from the old EU (Legends).

But pulling her through and saving her led to the current timeline. I haven't reasoned out how or why, but its along the lines of butterfly flaps causing hurricanes; small changes in a timeline can have very drastic effects.

I personally doubt anything will ever be done with this, and not even sure I want there to be such. But its a fun way for me to reconcile the old EU, which was my favorite fictional universe, with the new one, that I enjoy quite a bit all the same.

darthfettus2015 and DarthFixxxer like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I think "not knowing what happens" is of absolutely marginal importance to the success of a film/ TV or film/ TV franchise. Especially when only a small percentage of the audience has that knowledge.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  23. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Part of the reason I’m not as invested in the mando is because it’s not part of the big epic stuff that takes place during this time and I already know what happens NOW : a few exceptions Obi wan that has plenty of interesting gaps to fill in, same with a Luke show, verses something like a prequel like a Jedi origin where it would affect what happens in the future and would be important so I think that also books that are beloved are a little different but I think not knowing what is going to happen and I mean telling a decent story not just doing something for shock factor which I think is bad storytelling, then yeah that element of not knowing what’s going to happen is important.

24. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Do you not care for the future of Mandalore? That’s completely up in the air. Also really important on a galactic scale as a faction.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. ThisIsTheWay

Nov 24, 2019
    What other big epic stuff is going during the time period between the battle of Jakku and the First Order’s Blitz in TFA?

Except, of course, the pirates running around with a SSD.

Mando might’ve started off small scale but it appears that’s gonna change as time goes on.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020