main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.08 - Chapter 16 (Season Finale!!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 17, 2020.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Jan 1, 2021.
  1. 10

65.2%
  2. 9

18.9%
  3. 8

9.0%
  4. 7

2.6%
  5. 6

2.1%
  6. 5

0.9%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1.3%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I think an internal explanation that works is that some mandos have armor made of a purer alloy of beskar than others. Heck, Boba Fett's armor has held up to blaster shots too. However, his has pitted/dented from it, while Din Djarin's and Bo Katan's didn't. That's the easiest way to explain it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    My theory on Saxon is that the dude willing to go the extra mile to decorate his armor to look like the ultimate Maul cosplayer among the Mandalorians was willing to go the extra mile for his hybrid Imp/Mando armor, and wound up approving a design that spread out the Beskar content away from a few central plates over his front and back onto a complete torso set.

I could also *try* using the often surprisingly abbreviated nature of most Beskar chest plates in the show as signs that maximum protection is extremely difficult to pay for: the first chest piece Din had, and the one other Watch members and Axe Woves share, is barely more than a centrally located rib protector, and neither his new plate nor Boba’s offers that much more protection for the guts.

The out of universe explanation, of course, is that the more “top-heavy” torso design creates a “heroic build”, but I like inventing hand-wave explanations for costumes.:D

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I hope we see some Mandalorians with weaker Beskar

godisawesome and TadoFett like this.
  4. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    That makes sense; we do see Mandalorians die to shots that someone like Bo-Katan* or Sabine would have survived, so presumably regular Mandalorian grunts wear a much less pure version of beskar (or even just non-beskar armor); wealthier clans can probobly afford to equip their warriors with more purer beskar, and some families might have ancestral suits of pure beskar that get passed down (while others don't).

*though it is possible, I suppose, that Bo-Katan's armor is pure beskar; though as it does'nt have the same sheen of Din's armor and spear, I doubt it.

Just becuase Saxon works for the Empire does'nt mean he would have a suit of pure beskar - it could just be as simple as his family does'nt have one; or heck, that he does have it but it's on display somewhere and he decides to wear his supercommando armor for whatever reason.

TadoFett likes this.
  5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, I get that, but what I’m inferring is that even if his family *did* have a suit of pure Beskar, he may have allowed it to be diluted a bit to forge the ISC armor he wore at the end. His armor *probably* included enough Beskar to have been as susceptible to The Duchess, as Hark’s was, which would explain why his brother Tiber wore Stormtrooper armor instead.

TadoFett likes this.
  6. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I just assumed the supercommando armor was mass-produced.

A good point about Tiber wearing stormtrooper armor; that's what I assumed as well.

TadoFett likes this.
  7. Mr Bogan

Mr Bogan Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 28, 2016
    Sabine survived a blaster shot from Vader, if my memory serves me. And her colourful armour didn't get dented

EDIT - Well I checked, it was "her" blaster fire being redirected/deflected by Vader. One to the chest plate, the other to the helmet. Still, the point stands, no dents

Star Wars Sabine Wren getting Shot Compilation - YouTube

TadoFett likes this.
  8. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Yeah. And I doubt it's pure beskar, since that seems notable enough to get mentioned, so regular beskar armor (or at least regular beskar of a certain level of purity) is still pretty durable.

Boba's armor is the same suit as Jango's, and it's denting probobly occured over time due to battle and a lack of/inability to care; perhaps it's so scuffed in part becuase the Empire employed him in hunting Jedi?

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I hope we get an explanation in some book why boba’s helmet has dents but nothing else does. It’s likely that his helmet just isn’t pure

10. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    That's actually a good point; his armor had scuffs, but only the helmet is dented.

Maybe he got hit in the head with a high-powered blaster bolt; something not powerful enough to get through the beskar, but powerful enough to dent it (I think one of the unmade episodes of TCW had it get dented during a shootout with Cad Bane)

TadoFett likes this.
  11. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Considering he used Jango's Helmet as a bomb to kill Mace Windu, it is possible that helmet went through a lot of abuse.

I also like to think that Cad Bane, being the rival to Jango Fett for best bounty hunter in the galaxy, would have been fiddling with his weapons to create the perfect blaster shot that could pierce Beskar and thus kill Jango in a shootout duel.

K2771991 and TadoFett like this.
  12. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Let's see if we get the Boba Fett bounty hunter arc and duel with Cad Bane as part of Bad Batch. It would need re-tooled a bit, but they did that with the partially completed Season 7 TCW episodes anyways. Maybe that will explain why Boba's helmet gets dented.

K2771991, godisawesome and Shadao like this.
  13. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    It’s worth noting that it’s explicitly stated in season 1 that Fennec Shand’s sniper rifle is powerful enough to puncture his armor at short to medium ranges. So it’s just small arms fire that he’s more or less impervious to.

K2771991 and TadoFett like this.
  14. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I don't remember his beskar armour getting any damage.

Edit: oh does he say that it COULD be damaged if he was hit at that short range?

TadoFett likes this.
  15. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Yeah he takes a hit and says luckily enough at that distance it didn’t penetrate but that the same gun at closer ranges would be capable of doing so, which meant he couldn’t afford to get hit when they approached her.

16. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, sorry if it has but Luke has been re-edited on The Mandalorian, he looks MUCH better.

TadoFett and CernStormrunner like this.
  17. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    Darn. Guess I have to go watch it again...

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Wait. Really?

19. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    It looks the same to me but then I don’t have a side by side comparison to really tell.

Was this mentioned somewhere or just your observations?

20. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Just my observations but it is clearly different. I saw a deep fake one doing the rounds and this looks more like that version. The face is more clearly defined and the pupils clear.

Here you go:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  21. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Honestly, I was 99% skeptical when you said they changed him, but now I am kind of seeing it perhaps?
    I never thought he didn't look great anyway, but it feels that they might have improved it slightly?
    I don't know, it feels weird that they would do that, but you might be right. It's 7 am here too so.... I don't trust my vision.
    His skin DOES look less glossy, making him look more real.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    TadoFett, Ricardo Funes and Sproj like this.
  22. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Yeah if they have it’s not a noticeable enough change to really register in my brain. It would be interesting, if true, to hear the reasoning behind updating it after release. I think that what we got when it premiered was fine and so to take the effort to update seems unnecessary unlike say wanting to edit out Jeans Guy.

23. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    To me it looks like his mouth and eyes have more expression. Then again, it's very very slight and could literally just be me looking for changes. Still, it won't be hard for them to modify it continually moving forward.

24. dsjericho

dsjericho Jedi Knight

Mar 2, 2016
    I was an OT kid, too, and I appreciate the hopefulness that runs through most Star Wars. For me, though, the best Star Wars I had seen in years was the final four episodes of The Clone Wars and that was about as dark as it gets. Burying the clones, looking over the helmets, and the final shot of the helmet abandoned in the snow showed just how much of it was a waste; a horrible, tragic, and heartbreaking waste. It was war. I absolutely loved it and loved that they weren't afraid of ending it on such a note as it was appropriate and necessary, I feel.

I've been enjoying The Mandalorian so far but I'm not as invested in the story or the characters as I was for other, previous, Star Wars characters. I'm just thinking here and not sure how right this is ... but what will Din do in the next season? He had a deep connection to his Code, which he was willing to break for Grogu. He has a deep connection to Grogu, but he was willing to let Grogu go his own way.

He's skilled and has a sense of honor and genuine care for others but, at this point, what does he believe? He has no real feeling for Mandalore as a place and we haven't seen him be particularly interested in gaining power or showing much ambition beyond bounty hunting (at first), unless I've forgotten something. He wanted to protect Grogu and he did; he wanted to get Grogu to the Jedi and he did.

Now what does he want? What motivates him? Underneath wanting to accomplish those short-term goals, who is he? I think I need a rewatch because I don't really know who this character is ... now that I think about it. He has honor and cares for his friends. (I'm suddenly feeling really forgetful.)

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  25. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Ok, I will have to watch it again to check if something changed, I had a very clear memory of his expression. Will report back in a few minutes :)

RetropME likes this.