main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian Season 2 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
  2. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    This is getting out of hand, now there are four of them!

[​IMG]

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    What am I, chopped liver?

[​IMG]

Five!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The hat is actually like that Mario hat. :p

TadoFett and godisawesome like this.
  5. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    Am I the only one that doesn't like Sabine ?

She says to Din Djarin that he believes in stupid beliefs of a crazy cult of Mandalorians. And yet she herself believes that she should actually beat Din in a fight in to actually own the darksaber.

In my opinion Din should have teamed up with Mayfeld in the final episode instead of teaming up with her.

6. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Do you mix up Sabine with Bo-Katan? If not, I have clearly missed Sabine. Which episode did she participate in?

Shadao and antitoxicgamer like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Sabine never met Din, as far as I am aware. Bo-Katan did, though. ;)

antitoxicgamer likes this.
  8. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    [​IMG]

9. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    :eek:
    Sorry. I meant Bo-Katan.

TadoFett and Bor Mullet like this.
  10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think we’ve got good reason to suppose that F&F are moving Bo-Katan back to the more antagonistic nationalist interpretation of her character from her early days, an interpretation that never really changed so much as it got overshadowed by common enemies and conflicts shared with the heroes.

It’s more curious to me how much her Rebels appearance, arguably her most idealistic portrayal in tone, was meant seriously, or if Filoni was spending the whole time intentionally creating an scenario where she could be misleadingly perceived by the audience.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    In that case no your not. I think Bo Katan is a power hungry person and pretty evil

12. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Filoni didn't write Heroes of Mandalore, so I don't think Bo-Katan's presence was meant to be misleading. It could have just been to show that she can be heroic, and it's a case of a common enemy as you pointed out. The dramatic focus there was more on Sabine and the Duchess, and passing the Darksaber on to Bo herself. Maybe Bo had turned over a new leaf somewhat, since she was initially reluctant to take the saber, or at least wasn't in as dark a place as she is now, where Mandalorians have been fractured by the Great Purge and likely the saber.

On a different note in the present show, a nice touch with bringing in established Mandos (counting Boba) is use of the terminology: Bo referring to the foundling and of course describing the Children of the Watch, and Boba showing the chain code in his armor. I think it helps both reinforce the terms and give the characters a connection to this particular story.

TadoFett, Shadao and godisawesome like this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    The one consistency about Bo's character is that she cares for Mandalore first. Even though she was painted as more heroic in Siege of Mandalore 2: Mando Boogaloo (Heroes of Mandalore) we did still get this moment from her, she would have killed Sabine for sure if Sabine didn't have the knowledge to defeat The Dutchess. So we did get a bit of that villainous/grey side of her.
    She does possess a good leadership quality in that she is able to bring together belligerent parties with common goals. Clan Kryze wanted to kill Sabine in the same episode but they relented when Bo Katan ordered them to work together. Something similar happened in the Mando S2 finale when Bo Katan stops the fighting between Boba and Koska so they could refocus their animosity towards their common enemy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  14. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I have to say that while I think she should become an antagonist presence in Din’s life, I don’t think she should become a physical antagonist without good storytelling to get there.

I don’t think she’s built to do what Gideon said and just randomly challenge Din to a fight for the darksaber so she can have it; her pride and ethos might see such an action as too selfish and destructive considering Din’s honor. He's a fellow Mandalorian, and one who was willing to give her the darksaber if she requested it, while also being completely aboveboard with regards to his own missions and objectives.

If he weren’t a Mando, or if he were just sketchy enough even as a Mando for her to feel justified in fighting him for it, in a way that would fit her own ethos and would make the story about the darksaber a political asset, I think she would have challenged him pretty quickly for it.

But as it is, she’s a ways away from that right now; she’s King Saul knowing David’s the next anointed king, but finding him too loyal, righteous and useful to turn on him quickly. If she does, it’s going to take time, some percolating and fermenting envy, and a somewhat more justifiable context before she’ll strike at Din.

15. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    This is what I think makes it tricky. If Bo challenged him, the story would be that she won it from someone who didn't want it anyway.

16. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    You'd have to have totally missed every line Luke says in this finale to NOT see all the characterization.

Sure the scene was about Grogu and Din.. but the scene is fluff IF there isn't actual characterization involved with the special cameo that we are all flipping out about since the episode aired. Favreau nailed it. This is the Jedi who answers the call of some random Force user from some distant planet, whom he comes to the aid of without hesitation. This is the Jedi who is so perceptive of his current situation that he tells Mando, "He wants your permission". This is the Jedi who BELIEVES in the importance of training, per his own words. This is the Jedi whose best friend is a droid, an R2 unit who trails never far behind him. I mean we only get a few lines from Luke and all of them REEK of characterization. and it absolutely helps the audience to fully buy into what is happening as the next natural step in this story. Grogu must go with Luke. and we all accept that. Had he just showed up, killed a bunch of droids, stood there and said May the Force be with You.... i just dont see the scene working nearly as well. not even close. Favreau NAILED Luke. and he nailed Grogu and Din's goodbye scene.

Nate787, mtt02263 and DarthKreVass like this.
  17. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    I think she'll try to be the advisor to Din since he's quite new to this whole ruler of Mandalore status, and hopes to turn him into a proxy ruler while the real power and decision-making belongs to Bo-Katan. Thus the conflict will be whether Din would grow to be the leader of Mandalore by his own accord rather than following whatever Bo-Katan said.

TadoFett and godisawesome like this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So long as at some point Bo meets her fate by being stabbed by the darksaber. I just think her dying to that blade would just work so well

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think Bo is going to become a sort of antagonist in Season 3, and maybe even beyond. Those looks she was giving Din at the end of Season 2 were deadly.

20. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    That's the sub textual problem Bo faces politically; there’s an implication her issue previously was that she got the saber the wrong way, was seen as waging war against the Empire the wrong way, and thus needs to prove herself every step of the way now.

She’s basically in an lose-lose situation thanks to Gideon pulling his gambit of challenging Din instead of letting her come to him. Her only way out if *she* wants the darksaber is to hope that something triggers Din into attacking her first.
    See, I don’t think it’s going to be quite as simple as Din being immediately acclaimed ruler of Mandalore just because of the saber. It’s his “ticket into the dance”, so to speak, and it’s likely the final, successful claimant will have the darksaber, but the darksaber wasn’t enough to get Pre Viszla the title until he won the political support of the people, while Maul’s claim was disputed by Bo-Katan herself seemingly because he wasn’t a Mandalorian, and Sabine was still opposed by ISC elements and didn’t have Bo-Katan’s base of political support.

The darksaber feels like it’s the “King of the Mountain” trophy you need to demonstrate your martial superiority over all other claimants, and it *is* a claim in and of itself, but it’s not the only claim, and it’s likely the less obstinately individualized warriors (like The Protectors and some of the Great Houses like House Kryze) require more politics and diplomacy to recruit.

So... I don’t think that Bo is going to cede her claim to Bo, and I suspect the lack of political following Din has is going to keep him comparatively below her in standing among claimants. They might reach a compromise for the time being if he pledges his support to her, and thus unite two claims behind one cause, with the rub being that, of course, some Mandalorian factions like the Watch are going to demand there be only one claimant.

Which will likely result in something like this:
    ...as an eventual conclusion.

...Which reminds me... you all realize we’re liable to see a lot more Mando vs Mando fights next year, right?[face_mischief]

TadoFett likes this.
  21. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I think it's entirely possible that there are Imperial Remnant forces on/around Mandalore still, and the Empire-loyal Mando supersoldiers. There has to be something preventing the different clans from returning, and not knowing what the true state of the planet is. There is a good chance that we'll see rival mandos going at it.

Also, I had another thought about Gideon. His suit has electronics on it, and Giancarlo Esposito made some comment about it being an omage to Vader or inspired by him. Is there any chance that it actually is a life support system? Since we know from Season 1 that Gideon was supposedly executed for war crimes following the war, I speculated previously about whether a body double or even a clone was executed in his place. What if he was executed by firing squad, etc., but then saved with cybernetics? Just tossing that out there as a possibility.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Damn Mandalorians they ruined Mandalore

TadoFett and Sarge like this.
  23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Overtly Imperial forces would seem a bit much in the aftermath of Operation Cinder, and in a Galaxy where Gideon prefers to keep on the move with only a small cadre of soldiers, it seems unlikely there’s any planet as significant as Mandalore the Empire would hold onto...

...But the idea of formerly Imperial-aligned Mandos occupying it works, albeit I think you’d need even more reason to hold off the other clans. Maybe there’s some active radioactive or chemical weapon deployed to help make the whole “cursed” thing make sense, and make the place worse than the inhospitable wasteland it already was.

Picture ex-ISC members, ceremonially declared Dar’Manda scrounging Mad Max style over the surface of a storm-wracked and almost uninhabitable domain, who would be enough of a hassle that subduing them would take a Mandalore.
    I hear you... but for whatever reason, I’m thinking of that ridiculous self-resuscitating gear that Raul Julia’s M. Bison wore in Street Fighter, and now I’m picturing Esposito going full ham in a delightful way.[face_laugh]

TadoFett likes this.
  24. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Lol! A hilarious scene, and I can totally picture this now!

godisawesome likes this.
  25. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Does she really, though?

Everything we've seen from here is a lust for power. When she was part of Death Watch, she was willing to sacrifice her own sister (maybe not in the terms of a literal sacrifice) for Death Watch to rise to power over Mandalore. When Maul legitimately took over Death Watch, if Mandalore was her first priority, she would have followed, but she wanted the power for herself. And yes, I know there were other issues with Maul not being Mandalorian, so it's not as simple as I've painted it, but the point still remains. But even then, she could have worked with her sister to legitimately oust Maul, so that the battle for power on Mandalore was at least between Mandalorians. Same in Rebels. It's about her rising to power. Yes, she needs to oust the Empire and restore Mandalorians to power, but it's done with her being the leader. Even now in Mandalorian, her goal was to get the dark saber so she could lead Mandalore. Everything she does has been shown to be for her and her aspirations of power, and the benefit of Mandalore has been her justification for it.

Din and Sabine, they truly just want to see Mandalore flourish, and their actions prove it. They did the things they did with Mandalore in mind, not their own ambitions.

Unless it benefits her, I really don't feel she has Mandalore's best interests at heart, just her own.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.