main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Luke Skywalker (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh goody, a day of the week that ends with -day, time for a warning!

This is not the thread for debating the sequels.
    This is not the thread for commenting on the behavior of LFL employees.
    And this is certainly not the thread for disparaging other fans' viewpoints.

This is the thread for Luke Skywalker as the character relates to TV shows, which at the moment is only The Mandalorian. Leave any and all baggage at the door and stick to the friggen' subject. Or else this thread will be locked, the rumored Luke series thread will be locked, and I'll be super grumpy.

2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    If you follow up my first posts on the subject, I said as a company manPablo shouldn’t have done it and should issue an apology.

but I’m also acknowledging why Pablo did it in the first place. Because it is pretty funny thing to laugh at.

edit: see Mod. All right, changing the subject...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  3. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I loved Luke's appearance, the CGI was tasteful and his appearance was appropriate within the narrative imo. I also appreciated the CGI Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One. However, there is probably a law of diminishing returns here, the technology is not at the point where it's truly seamless, it does stick out. If Disney continues to use it judiciously and with restraint, then I'd love to see more.

My only apprehension, is that it shouldn't tempt them to avoid appearances from living actors. If there's an opportunity to include a living actor in the production (I'm thinking of Hayden Christensen in particular) then that should be the preferred course, even if it means they have to adjust the script. There is no substitute for a real performance, and it would be such a waste of talent to replace them with CGI characters. For example, the decision to go with Snoke instead of McDiarmid in TFA was a big mistake, imo. But overall, I welcome whatever wizardry they can come up with, it's worked well so far.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    Shadao, wobbits and RetropME like this.
  4. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    It looks like they did some more work on Luke... his mouth movement and expressions are more natural now, it looks better than the initial version, not that I had a problem with it before.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    mtt02263 likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I noticed that too, but I'm not sure if they did more work on it, or if it's just my brain getting used to seeing new young Luke footage, and therefore accepting the way it looks more.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh thank heaven it wasn't just me. I sat there in the dark after the last time I ran through the episode and considered whether LFL had triggered some sort of evolution in me.

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Looked a little better to me too. Curious...

That said, I think the effect when he speaks would have been improved if they just...gave him a beard (it's five years after ROTJ, after all - plenty of time for some whiskers to grow in...). Covering his face with some hair would have obscured some of the imperfections.

8. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I am not against that idea, but somehow I am convinced that people would still have discovered reasons to complain about the use of CGI anyway.

I'm just kinda glad we got to see Mark Hamill as ROTJ Luke even if it wasn't perfect in terms of the quality of the CGI.

This needed to come here, to the right topic.
    I really really love Mark Hamill. He is a gift to the Star Wars family.
    I am very happy that he is happy.

9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Can't believe we're already waist deep into our first iteration of The Mandalorian: Special Edition.

First removing jeans guy, now a revised Hamill face graft. I demand the absolutely bonkers Kenobi Krayt dragon call from the current cut of ANH be subbed into The Marshal.

LedReader and RetropME like this.
  10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Could anyone upload a side-by-side? Pleeeaaaasssseeee........

RetropME and TCF-1138 like this.
  11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Is this a legit complaint or a joke?

Also, the Classic Trilogy SE is much better than the theatrical version #sorrynotsorry

12. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    JUSTICE FOR JEANS GUY

Sarge, DarthFixxxer and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Justice for the helicopter. Everyone's already forgotten the helicopter!

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That bonkers Kenobi Krayt Dragon call IS in the The Marshall. Seriously, it's there in one scene.

15. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    But that's pulled from the original 1977 audio yeah? Not the "closer to a wailing homeless man" one that first popped up on the 2011 blu-ray. That's the one I want.

RetropME and Darth Chuck Norris like this.
  16. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time

RetropME and Bor Mullet like this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Edit: didn’t see the warning

18. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    CGI worked for this episode but a full series he needs to be recast like it wouldn’t work for a full show which I get Mark is iconic but now let’s see maybe there’s someone super talented who could do the job a young undiscovered actor maybe.

19. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I looked at a side by side comparision between an older clip of the episode and what's on Disney+ and I can't tell any difference between the two. I don't think they upgraded the CGI but I might just not be seeing it :confused:

20. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    [​IMG]

We almost don't deserve Mark Hamill!
    I really love the dude, he is amazing.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No, there’s also a muted form of the 2011 version in there. In fact, I think they used every version that Lucas created during different moments with the dragon. They’re just muffled by other sounds and so not that noticeable.

Shadao and TCF-1138 like this.
  22. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I don't want to delve into the ST here but he seems very happy to be involved with THIS take on Luke, much more than the older Luke. I'm glad he is happy, he deserved this moment after he gave his all to a story he didn't even care for.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  23. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Yeah, I also think a beard would have been a simple enough solution to 'fix' the CGI face at least in part. It's been 5 years, Luke didn't need to look exactly 1:1 with his RotJ counterpart, the way that Leia did in Rogue One with her ANH counterpart.

But whatever. Regardless of any shortcomings of the digital effect, the character and his presence mostly worked for me. I am still a bit disappointed, in part, that the "main" story has now come knocking on the door of The Mandalorian, but I digress; Luke was handled very well here, and the emotional beats of Din and Grogu parting ways are the true heart of what the episode is. This does radically change what the show is going to be moving forward, so I am curious to see what exactly is in the cards (and if/how they illustrate to use that Grogu and Luke eventually part ways, as well).

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    Honestly, if Luke was going to have a beard and be a bit visibly older it would probably be better to simply recast him. This would be a lot more affordable. Someone like Sebastian Stan would work perfectly in such a situation. If we can accept both Sir Alec Guinness Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan surely we can accept a stand in for 30-something Luke. If Lucas Film does decide to do a Luke series in the future this would probably make a lot of sense since the whole CGI thing sounds prohibitively expensive.

wobbits likes this.
  25. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I think where Luke training Grogu is concerned, I don't think at this stage that Luke has any plans or desires to start a Jedi School. It will be him simply training Grogu to master his abilities and then returning him to Din. I think it will be as straight forward as this because Luke sees and understands the attachment that Din and Grogu have for each other.

Because although Ahsoka refuses to train Grogu because of the attachment issue, I think Luke will train Grogu because of the attachment he feels towards Din; trained so that when he is with Din, Grogu is not a liability - but rather someone who can fight too.

Luke's take on attachment will be completely different to how Ahsoka views it because Luke will see that his father's "attachment" to his family is what ultimately brought Anakin back to the light. Not even two old wise souls in Yoda and Obi-Wan could see this, but Luke could then and Luke will see that now with Din and Grogu.