main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Darth Vader in Kenobi Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RX_Sith, Jul 18, 2020.

1. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    My issue isn't the timeline (I honestly don't care about that aspect), it's more about I don't know what else can you do with them after Rebels already reunites and gave them a (fairly) satisfying conclusion? What other story is there to tell?

2. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Exactly. There've been at least six Maul vs. Kenobi encounters (including the Son of Dathomir comic) and I could have happily done without at least four of them.

3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, I don't want a who's who of Sith to meet Obi in this movie. It would overboil things to have Vader and Maul both. Not for Maul; already been done.

If Obi is meeting Anakin again, there should be plenty going on with that plot not to need Maul, especially in a mini-series.

4. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I've not read Soule's Vader series. Does it end before this series begins? One Wook source says exact placement is unknown, but another says 12 BBY. Just curious where Vader is psychologically, and I guess literally too. Where is Vader, if Obi-Wan goes off-planet to actively seek a confrontation with salvation in mind? This will be an interesting reversal of AOTC, when Anakin leaves Tatooine to save Obi-Wan. Poetry. Rhymes.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  5. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Isn’t this only 4 episodes it shouldn’t be obi fighting the monster of the week or sith of the week it should have more plot than that.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s going to solely be about Obi-wan’s struggle with a younger version of the Krayt Dragon from the Mandalorian. Ultimately, Obi-wan drives it away from the Lars homestead, and in the direction of Mos Pelgo, where it will later make everyone’s life hell (but hey, Luke is safe). A “Not In My Backyard” Star Wars Story.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  7. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    The way I would scream if this were actually true all I know is pain

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    On a more serious note (well, not that serious, but still), I think great chunks of all those Vader-centric comics from Marvel may well be retconned to oblivion, or even discarded. Maybe. We'll see.

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Really hope not. If they're good enough writers they can keep everything intact.

Mostly Handless and Cyber Spark like this.
  10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The main story of this series isn't lightsaber duels, isn't dogfights in star fighters...its the story of a mam haunted by his past, sacrificing his future to watch over the son of a former best friend, who currently wants to kill him.

11. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    People like Lightsaber fights though. and dog fights to a slightly lesser degree.

Lets be honest, sure Luke could have showed up in the Mandalorian without slicing down some bots... but people loved his appearance even more because Luked slice down some bots with a saber. it heightened the impact.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Cyber Spark, themoth and Shamear like this.
  12. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    Soule's 2017 Vader series starts immediately after ROTS and ends a few months after it. All 19-18 BBY.

themoth likes this.
  13. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    I recall after the Prequels a lot of people mentioning/complaining about that line "Where did Obi-Wan feel like Luke did?"(I guess because he wasn't making big emotional appeals about "feeling the good in him" etc and was trying to use logic instead) and while I do think Obi-Wan did try while they were fighting and was hoping Anakin would come to his senses, it definitely leaves open a potential meeting between ROTS and ANH, where Obi-Wan more explicitly attempts to convince Anakin it's not too late for him to come back in order to fit with that particular line.

On the plus side it might lessen some of the complaining about ".Obi-Wan said Luke should kill his father"(he didn't he just meant he had to be prepared to do it...) by at least showing he had very good reason to feel it may well not end happily through two different meetings with Vader, perhaps using different types of appeals to bring him back and Vader showing no change each time. (Though really Anakin killed children on two different occasions, he's a child murderer I'm not exactly sure what's supposed to be so awful about saying you know not that terribly interested believing he's "redeemable", yes it's nice he turned back but...kind of doesn't change the fact he straight up murdered children and people who aren't inclined to feel charitable towards him are perfectly within reason and their rights to do so.)

Mostly Handless likes this.
  14. AlwaystheForce

AlwaystheForce Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2021
    I read through this entire read, mostly.

Two things are confirmed about this show
    1) Vader is showing up
    2) Deborah Chow said it will be the dual of the century.

The one thing that bothers me about this is "last time..... I was the learner and now I am the master" How are they going to be faithful to that ? I read the ideas in the thread, and some people have good ideas. But I feel having Vader in here is just really fan service. I don't really see how it could serve the story. Maybe Obi-wan and Vader are forever bonded because of their previous friendship and now their conflict. If that's what the writers are going for, then it makes sense. Must admit, when I first heard Vader was announced for this, I was nervous. Still am.

One theory is that Vader might still be a learner of the Dark side, but that would be weird, because 10 years a learner since Revenge of the Sith ? Something does not add up.

One thing though. It will give Obi-wan a chance to see the machine that Anakin has become, as referenced in Empire Strikes back. Would be a nice tie-in. And calling him Darth Vader would be a nice tie-in to A New Hope.

So many theories.

Of all the Star Wars properties in the making, I am the most nervous for this one, because I want it to be good. Seeing Ewan McGregor again as Obi-wan in a series format is such a good idea. I'm terrified that this might flop for some reason.

And not seeing George Lucas, Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau in the executive producer credits on IMDB for the show, makes me extra nervous.

Mostly Handless and Glitterstimm like this.
  15. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    He says he was the learner when he left Obi-Wan/the Jedi, as in when he joined the Sith, not when they last met.
    FWIW.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  16. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Perhaps it’s because Obi-wan wins the fight again and makes some remark about him forever being a learner, not a master.

Mostly Handless and themoth like this.
  17. AlwaystheForce

AlwaystheForce Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2021
    That could work.

18. This show should be purist as possible there is already many retcons in SW to have another one

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2021
  19. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    Scott did a great job in Jedi Fallen Order, though. Until I saw his name, I thought it was JEJ doing the voice.

The footage shown to investors features Ewan talking about Ben and Vader "having another swing at each other," and honestly, if done well, it could work. Like the trillions of retcons TCW did, for example, Anakin meeting Grievous "for the first time," Anakin and Obi-Wan's duel with Dooku being the first one since AOTC, etc.
    Dude. What if Temuera not only plays Cody, but cameos as Rex in a flashback? He said he watched TCW and Rebels and that he liked Rex.
    "Retcon" is Star Wars' middle name.

While the poor dialogue didn't serve it well, Anakin's downfall in the prequels is definitely the best part, and watching The Clone Wars makes it hurt even more. While calling the prequels masterpieces is a flat-out lie, Anakin's downfall is undeniably an amazing piece of character work, and Hayden did the best he could with what he was given.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2021
    wobbits likes this.
  20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Borrowing or inspired by the novelization on TLJ and a beautifully written scene of Luke dreaming of a life that could've been, I've written a similar scene for Anakin/Vader but with a darker more conscience driven dream/nightmare.
    [​IMG]
    It would be interesting if Vader has these nightmares whilst in the bacta tank, it's somewhere where he's helpless and his conscience can play tricks
    on his mind when he's unconscious whilst asleep. Then abruptly cutting to Obi-Wan or even Luke to put some perspective on what Anakin's has lost.

21. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    There’s also precedent for a conflict that only happens on a spiritual plane, like Yoda and Sidious’s fight in the last episode of the Yoda TCW arc. There’s no reason why Vader could not perform the same ritual in an effort to find or neutralize his former master. And by the time of ANH, the Empire assumes Kenobi is likely dead, even though he was last seen leaving Mustafar no worse for the wear.

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes but I kinda doubt that is where they are going.

I don't think another not actual duel like TLJ is the go to at this point.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  23. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Yeah i think anything but a face-to-face encounter would feel like a cop-out.

24. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I can't imagine it won't be a face to face clash when the phrase "rematch of the century" was used by Kennedy.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Mostly Handless and Count Yubnub like this.
  25. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    From my perspective as a Vader fan, just because you CAN include him in the series and have him meet Kenobi doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Currently the history of the two characters works really well. Anakin and Obi-Wan last see each other in ROTS, then 19 years later on the DS Vader says "I sense something, a presence I've not felt since...." (indicating a long time), then when he does meet Kenobi he states "when I left you I was but the learner..." which certainly implies he's referring to their time together in the Jedi Order.

Now strictly speaking yes you can have Vader/Kenobi meet up at some point in the intervening years and still have the ANH dialogue match up, but will that weaken its significance? ABSOUTELY! As fans we've accepted since 2005 that they don't cross paths at all between ROTS and ANH - remembering too that Kenobi IS in hiding. But if they do meet in the series, then in ANH when Vader says the "when I left you..." line we'll be thinking "oh that was only a few years back!" not 19 years ago when Vader was the human Anakin.

ewoksimon likes this.