main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Future of Star Wars on TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    To me, when EVERYTHING is always large scale, it makes the universe feel artificial. I love that Mando started small, but is slowly getting more expansive as it progresses. It’s not rushing to get big, and I think that’s very important. Hope Favreau and Filoni ignore any fan clamor to speed things up and go big too soon.

2. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    It’s kind of interesting to me I’m more interested in the Jedi if I’m being honest and the more magical aspects. I mean mando concept without baby yoda just might not be my cup of tea like I like it but there are way more other things that capture my attention in the Star Wars universe.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Master Cado Afu likes this.
  3. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    Yeah, in terms of scale with The Mandalorian, it seems to be taking a page from A New Hope; at least A New Hope starting on Tatooine. It's starting small in terms of the story and building from there.

And while season two wasn't really that much bigger in scale (although it was notably larger; I know that's contradictory, but whatever), it did have a little Empire Strikes Back-ishness in the ending. Because it was a cliffhanger in that sense.

And instead of Boba Fett taking Han, Luke took Grogu. So it was still like, "Wait, what... ?!" Only a little different. :cool:

And so I guess Ewoks in season three? We may see a Hutt...

No, I'm guessing they'll use the series themselves as a whole as Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni's own personal movie trilogy. The Mandalorian starts small. Rangers of the New Republic will presumably be bigger (and Ahsoka will be an aside in a sense to that maybe; a "Luke on Dagobah" aside but obviously not exactly that). And whatever they wrap it all up with will be the biggest in terms of scale.

Maybe, at least?

If this is what they're doing that could be a good play overall. And it'll give other people a chance to express their Star Wars voice, tell their Star Wars story over a series of series.

Because I've of course become disillusioned with Jon Favreau over this past season. And it's perfectly fine for him of course to have a voice in Star Wars, the more the merrier and all that. But I don't want his voice to be the sole voice.

I mean, I feel that they did the do with Luke and got away with it. And Dave Filoni did the "Kurosawa's Yojimbo" with Ahsoka, and arigatou, Filoni-san for that. But for the rest... eh. And yes, Boba Fett fans, I thought Boba Fett was "eh." But you're Boba Fett fans so you're used to it. So move on, you're still getting a show for your guy. :cool:

No, to be fair though, I assume they'll change up the style with Rangers of the New Republic a little because the story would I assume dictate it, and maybe change it up a little again with whatever comes after. But if it's all the same style as The Mandalorian, then yeah, I don't know. Ha!

So yeah, let's have multiple voices, I say.

And yeah, Obi-Wan Kenobi will be different.

Aside from the obvious from a story standpoint, Deborah Chow will be in a larger role. She's not only directing, she's also an Executive Producer. Along with Ewan McGregor and Kathleen Kennedy. So to do the Spike Lee-ism, Obi-Wan Kenobi will by and large be a "Deborah Chow Joint." So a different voice. Which is good, variety and the spice of life and whatever.

And maybe the next slate of shows after Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni's will be from different creators? Or they may just stick with them, who knows?

Vive la différence, I say.

And last, on budget for the shows in terms of scale. Yeah, with The Mandalorian they were spending $15 million dollars an episode, or there about. And of course over at Marvel they're going to be spending $25 million per episode for those shows.

So you would assume that season three of The Mandalorian may get a bump (if that's what the story dictates). Rangers of the New Republic probably will, and whatever comes after it.

And of course Obi-Wan Kenobi will get the 5-star treatment, because that's my dude. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    So yeah, for sure. And yeah. ;)

Master Cado Afu likes this.
  5. Justus_Cade

Justus_Cade Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    Don't know if it has but I would really like a show from the perspective of the Empire. Like..say...TIE Fighter's Maarek Stele.

Shamear and 3sm1r like this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I really don't care about the perspective of fascists, to be honest. Unless they are at least partly reformed, ala Mayfeld in the Mandalorian, or Iden Versio from Inferno Squad.

2Cleva likes this.
  7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    What? You really only like movies about the good guys?
    The Godfather ? Reservoir dogs ? The Sopranos ? The Damned ? Clockwork orange ? Breaking bad ? Barry Lyndon ?

You'd avoid all these movies because the protagonists are awful human beings? Come on!

Shamear and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Oh, not at all. But most of those guys aren’t fascists. I’m open to a Boba Fett Kingpin story, after all. ;)

And mostly, I’m just talking about IN Star Wars. When you’re exploring the lives of actual bad people (or characters based on actual categories of people on Earth, like criminals, etc), that’s an interesting narrative and sociological subject. But following the perspective of a fascist in Star Wars just strikes me as veering too close to both over self-indulgence and endorsement. If there’s not some reform or atonement at the end of the line, it may just feel uncomfortably like romanticizing/ positively mythologizing fascists.

And in today’s environment, that just doesn’t feel like the right wares for Lucasfilm to be peddling.

2Cleva, 3sm1r and DarthFixxxer like this.
  9. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I regret having watched Breaking Bad because of all the hype.
    Colossal waste of time.

kalzeth likes this.
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Bor Mullet
    They can make movies in which the viewer is not supposed to sympathize with the protagonist. They are more difficult to make, but there is plenty of good ones.
    People can do awful things for hundreds of convincing reasons.
    Besides, they don't necessarily need to be fully convinced about the empire greatness. Perhaps they're merely workers doing their job, without being particularly invested it, or maybe they don't even know that there are alternatives.

At the end of the day, ROTS was already pretty much a movie from the POV of the bad guys, well not completely but close enough. The scene of Kylo in front of Vader's mask was another good example.

It requires taking more risks but it can pay off .

Shamear and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t necessarily disagree. As long as the story is not some kind of stealth endorsement of authoritarianism, I’m open to it. I just don’t think Lucasfilm is going to play that straight without the character reforming in one way or another.
    The Wire, which BB is for some reason often compared to, is miles better. One of the best TV shows of all time, IMO.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    2Cleva and 3sm1r like this.
  12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    BB is brilliant

Shamear, Bor Mullet and DarthKreVass like this.
  13. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Is it too much to ask that, maybe some day, The Jim Henson Company is put in charge of the aliens/creatures on one of these shows?

On second thought, I'd also be very ok with them doing a series with only creatures/aliens and no human characters, a la The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. Could be something akin to a modern day, sci-fi fairy tale like what they were going for with the two Ewok films in the 80s. Granted, those had a few human characters in them to anchor it, but TDC (the original Henson film and the recent Netflix series) show that that isn't really a requirement.

But either way, as a purely creature situation or a project with their creatures existing alongside human actors, I'd love to see their contribution to Star Wars. As it is, I'm chomping at the bit to see the stop motion puppets they did for the upcoming Guillermo del Toro Pinocchio film.

kalzeth and Krueger like this.
  14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I love creatures in anything, particularly in SW. When a new film or TV series is being made, the first thing I look for is the creatures and aliens. Glad to see that Andor doesn't seem to be skimping on the aliens front. I hope the Boba Fett series, with Jabba's Palace seemingly being a big location, is chock full of creatures of all kinds. I think that's why ROTJ has always been my favourite (or very close to). Jabba's Palace as a kid was amazing to behold (still is). This is where SW has always been far superior to ST, IMO.

kalzeth and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Yeah, Jabba's palace went all out with weird and eccentric creatures and I was always all over that stuff. I also really hope that The Book of Boba Fett honors that legacy. I want to see Boba surrounded by weird, grotesque, eccentric oddities in that one.

Andor definitely seems to be leaning into the creature stuff hard, which is good, but I'm actually not super thrilled with Neal Scanlan's approach to Star Wars creature design overall. He's great at what he does, and there are some exceptions to this, but for the most part the majority of the Sequel Trilogy aliens are very samey to me - tan, humanoid, generic. There are very few creatures from those movies that really left a mark on me, so I hope his team's stuff in Andor gets a bit more wild than what the ST did. His work on Solo and Rogue One was a lot better, though, so hopefully Andor skews closer to that. Especially my guys Two Tubes and Therm Scissorpunch.

The Mandalorian
    has really spoiled me lately with Star Wars aliens and creatures.

kalzeth and Shamear like this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it borders on brilliant, but missed that high mark in the end. That’s barely a critique, though, as I still consider it one of the top prestige shows.

But the Wire is in a league of its own. Almost untouchable, in my view.

RetropME likes this.
  17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I will watch it sooner or later.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m convinced you’ll agree with me. All people do, eventually. ;)

19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Nah not all people. I don't like The Wire, just not my thing.
    And I find BB the most overrated show of all times. The last season is really bad for me.
    #sorrynotsorry

20. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    While some Breaking Bad discussion is happening in here....

I adore Breaking Bad. It is one of the best shows ever put to screen. And yet, somehow, Better Call Saul has managed to be even better. If any of you haven't given BCS a go yet, definitely do before its final season releases. The show is absolutely brilliant.

Bor Mullet, RetropME and 3sm1r like this.
  21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    On Netflix they don't provide the latest season, sadly.

RetropME and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Ahh, that sucks. I watch it live and then purchase all the seasons on Blu-ray as they release. I guess season 5 won't be streaming until season 6 is ready to air... which is looking more likely to be 2022 rather than 2021 at this point.

3sm1r likes this.
  23. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I have a gut feeling that the Andor series will heavily feature the lower level functioning within the Empire. As it will be a series based presumably on the spying and intrigue inherent to that period from both sides, it would make sense to be that kind of format. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a new type of "Krennic" character who would be the foil for Andor and the Rebels, and who heads up Imperial counter-intelligence, or is called the "Rebel Hunter" or something. (How utterly cool would it be if they actually got the "Jew Hunter" from Inglorious ******** himself, Christophe Waltz?) I hope we see something like this anyway. I want to see intrigue, back-stabbing and career climbing in the Imperial Ranks.

Krueger and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Well, Stellan Skarsgard has been cast for Andor, and I could definitely see him in such a role.

Lobot's Wig likes this.
  25. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I think his stuff is great, and feels very very SW to me, just noticeably better crafted than the ROTJ and even prequel stuff (the PT practical masks kind of felt like they weren't even trying, because there'd be some CG thing to look at instead). My beef with the ST creatures was that they were almost all previously unseen... so to me the R1, Solo, and Mando work feels better and I'm on the same page as you, just for a slightly different reason.

Bor Mullet likes this.