main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    To be honest I think you do neither. You just leave these legacy characters to the past. My one exception is animated characters to live action

cwustudent likes this.
  2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    CGI Leia and Tarkin for Rogue One was great. I am glad they did it.
    CGI Luke for Mando was the only option. Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker.

Moving forward, if there ever was a frequent appearance of Luke or Leia in any kind of a TV show, have Sebastian Stan and Carrie Fisher's daughter play these roles.

In fact, I hope they do make these live shows.

cwustudent and Master Cado Afu like this.
  3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    "great" is not really the first word that comes to my mind when I think about RO Tarkin...

cwustudent likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s better than Luke in MAndo

cwustudent likes this.
  5. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Then you probably shouldn't use it :p

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Don’t get me wrong I think it’s passable but it’s still uncanny valley

cwustudent likes this.
  7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    They're both terrible.

cwustudent likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think one is much better than the other but I guess that’s just me

cwustudent likes this.
  9. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I think both are great and I hate the term uncanny valley which is thrown around easier than stormtroopers these days, but it is what it is.

Never ever have I been absorbed by a movie as amazing as Rogue One or an episode as phenomenal as The Rescue and stopped to think "well the CGI is not that great, imma stop feeling now"

dick rodgers likes this.
  10. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    This is an issue I have always noticed in fans. Sometimes they feel the need to be overprotective of whatever they enjoy. You can still like RO even while acknowledging that perhaps CGI Tarkin wasn't the best idea in the world. You don't have to feel a sort of moral duty to love every single minor detail of a movie just because you love the movie overall. Criticizing aspects of a movie you like is not a crime, nor should it prevent you from enjoying them.

11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    I'm 39 years old I am long past defending what I like and being overprotective about it. Rogue One is not even close to being my fav Star Wars movie.

I just happen to disagree with you. And I happen to think that CGI Tarkin WAS the best idea in the world for that movie, as opposed to a recast.

Man this thing that fans assume what other fans think or do is getting old.

I just don't care about less than perfect CGI in movies. Never have, never will. It's something completely insignificant to me.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    dick rodgers likes this.
  12. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I'm okay with either scenario. I find that unless it is really obvious, CGI doesn't bug me too much. And recasting actors does happen as well, as long as they can capture the essence of who the character is, to me it doesn't matter what actor is cast.

13. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    It all depends on what you want to do.

If you want to make them look exactly like we last remembered seeing them, and just want to have them have brief moments on screen, then what they did with Tarkin was fine (I thought, at least).

And what they did with Luke was fine (well... yeah, it was okay). :cool:

Anything more than that and the technology isn't really at the point right now to make humans looks believable.

So you re-cast or you wait. And pros and cons on both sides.

I don't think anyone had a problem with Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi, even though Ewan McGregor doesn't really look much at all like Alec Guinness...

[​IMG]

Granted, I imagine very few had any strong emotional attachment to Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan Kenobi. I know I didn't.

And Ewan McGregor is my Obi-Wan Kenobi. But if they want to re-cast him to do a young Obi-Wan series, or an in-between Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones series (so I can see an untold Duchess Satine story; because they first meet before The Phantom Menace), then do it, I say.

And I had totally forgotten that "Senators, I presume you are acquitted with the collection of half-truths and hyperbole known as Obi-Wan Kenobi?" line. That was just so awesome. :cool:

Anyway, where was I... and Harrison Ford and Alden Ehrenreich as Han didn't work for some I imagine because of whatever combination of appearance and story. Should they have waited for the technology to get there and then did Solo? Eh... who knows, probably not. Probably isn't worth it.

Luke... they just waited too long to do Luke again. George Lucas was never going to do anything more. Then they decided decades after the fact to do more, and now you're stuck.

So do you wait however many years it's going to take for it to be perfect, or just re-cast.

14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Master Cado Afu
    In many other franchises they re-cast all the time, and I really wish they did the same in SW. Alden Ehrenreich is the best example. I mean Ok, people are used to Ford, but at the end of the day he ended up doing a decent work and he was surely not a problem of the movie.

I can agree with JKF that whenever possible it's probably better to just use new characters, but in case it makes much sense to use some of the old ones for whatever reason, like in RO, re-casting is by far the best compromise.

Bor Mullet and Master Cado Afu like this.
  15. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    Oh yeah, I'm totally for re-casting. They re-cast Superman, Batman, James Bond all the time, just to name a few.

And truth be told, I liked Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo more than I liked Harrison Ford. But growing up I was never a Han guy, I was a Luke guy. So Alden Ehrenreich's somewhat different take on Han really worked for me.

And yes, re-cast Luke. Of course. And I'm a Sebastian Stan "Stan" all day long.

And since I still think my post about Lucasfilm's out reach to fans who may not want to see a re-cast of Luke was clever; because Mark Hamill loves The Beatles...

...so Lucasfilm might say to those against a re-cast, let's try and work this out. :cool:

3sm1r likes this.
  16. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'd say that in the same movie the best possible recasting was Glover. To me Donald Glover really worked perfectly and perhaps he even added something to the character.

Bor Mullet and Master Cado Afu like this.
  17. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Listen, I’m not a giant “fan” of Theory. I don’t dislike him, I just don’t agree with him on a good amount of SW related things. I coulda swore I remembered him being not so down on TLJ unlike the way he describes his feelings regarding that film now. So clearly I just wasn’t paying close enough attention and didn’t watch enough of his content to be made aware in that regard. But I would not, I repeat, would not want to give an interview to a corporate magazine faux journalist who just made fun of my reaction to a episode of the Mandalorian and played it off as if I’m some moron who can’t see past the condescending under the sheets exec talk from a Lucasfilm lackey who for no logical reason whatsoever is targeting a larger sized fan YTuber with a metric **** ton of followers. ESPECIALLY when said individual wants to call you on the phone to condescendingly tell you HEY IM SOOOOO SORRY YOU MISUNDERSTOOD MY TWEET AND SAW IT AS A PERSONAL ATTACK. Hidalgo pushed a vague tweet KNOWING it had a back door exit if people got all hot and bothered about it. I wouldn’t want to talk to them either. He said what he said and if he doesn’t want to take accountability for it, that’s not Theory’s problem.

DarthFixxxer and Master Cado Afu like this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The problem is that there are different opinions on these matters...

My wife, who doesn’t follow Star Wars but does follow film and is a very visual person, didn’t even realize Tarkin’s face was CGI until I mentioned it the second time we watched the film. It really was well done for many people.

I personally see the seams, and it takes me out of things a bit, but overall find it to be the most successful CGI human face I’ve seen on film. Even if I would have simply gone with keeping his face in the shadows.

19. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    They limited their own creative potential with this weird decision. With a simple recasting they could have made better and longer scenes about the power struggle between these two characters, which was one of the most interesting aspects of the movie.

This is mostly about what RLM perfectly summarize with the phrase they often use "perhaps you didn't notice it, but your brain did", to indicate that sometimes there are aspects to which we don't pay attention consciously, and yet they have an influence on the way we perceive a given scene.

If you watch the scene even without knowing anything, it's pretty clear that he looks like a character in the exposition scenes of a good videogame.

Now, is it the worst sin in the world ? No, but I believe that they add unnecessary problems with respect to simply cast someone else.

cwustudent and Bor Mullet like this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think Glover was a much better cast then Alden. I liked Alden though, but I don’t think you can get better than Glover

3sm1r and Master Cado Afu like this.
  21. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    My turn for a last say in this subject.
    I watched watched that live stream. It was great. Its strange how the fans that get made out to be the villians by the media are the ones who come together and give support to others when they are feeling down.

We should be free to call movies garbage if that is what we think of them. We should be free to call directors bad (at directing) if they make movies that we think are bad. No actor has been "gone after" by the fandom menace, that wouldn't be tolerated. Many cases the actors have been defended and given support. Kelly Marie Tran has always had a lot of nice things said about her, as has Rosario Dawson and Gina Carano during this period were they have had thousands of death threats online by far left twitter accounts.

I take him more seriously now. He seems like a really genuine, down to earth guy. He believes people with different opinions should be able to talk and be friends, which is absolutely right. Really that steam had so much good stuff, Drunk3PO is such a nice guy too, the surprise video message he got from Gina Carano to Star Wars Theory and all fans was very heart warming. I haven't watched the full interview that Drunk3Po did with her yet, but i'm sure that's great too.

Master Cado Afu likes this.
  22. Master Cado Afu

Oct 1, 2020
    Oh yeah, that's totally fine (the part in bold). And the part that I underlined, it's like, just do a search for what you quoted from me.

My point was though, some (maybe a lot, I don't know) but some of the Fandom Menace guys seem to act as though Lucasfilm is in the wrong for not paying attention to them, or listening to their concerns or what have you.

When you call a company garbage, and everything that they do is garbage, then they're probably not going to listen to you, or take you seriously. You know what I'm saying.

So yeah, anyone can say whatever they want about the movies, and the directors, and the president of the company, and anything else. But like with anything in life, it's all in how you do it.

You can be critical in a way that they actually pay attention to you and take you serious. Or you can do it in another way.

Like the Black Sheep kids said...

I totally see what you're saying, but that's why you talk to people. Including Pablo Hidalgo.

I mean, it's doubtful that he knew he did anything wrong. He was just being his normal snarky self.

And the 6-hour thing is just the weird part to me (where did 6 hours come from, why not 24 hours?). Either way, how in the world would Pablo Hidalgo know that he had some arbitrary time limit to respond and apologize to Star Wars Theory about Tweeting "emotions are not for sharing" before Star Wars Theory would post his video (which looks to be what blew everything up).

You know what I'm saying. (And all of what I just said was rhetorical, you don't have to answer.)

And Variety asked multiple times for a comment...
    ...so when you don't respond now you're at their mercy to portray you anyway they feel.

If you give them your side of things, now they have to run with that. And you record it and request a full transcript of the interview so that you can't be taken out of context.

And yes, why Variety ran with the story in the first place is beyond me. Slow news day obviously, I guess. But if they're going to do it, then I would want my side of the story in full.

But of course this is all so last year. :cool:

And I only watched Nerd Theory on Monday's because I like Josh from Den of Nerds. I didn't even know who Star Wars Theory was until the beginning of The Mandalorian this season when the two of them started doing Nerd Theory together.

Or I guess I knew a little bit about him before because I had seen some of the Fandom Menace guys make fun of him. So yeah, I suppose that's a thing. :cool:

But yep, I'm done watching that, I'll just stick to watching Josh from Den of Nerds every morning. And I don't have a Gmail account so I'm not subscribe to anyone's YouTube channel anyway, so...

Apple fanboy since '82, when it was cool the first time. And before the Mac, baby. Apple II to the fullest. :cool:

(And yeah, I don't know what my point is either... )

So, Donald Glover...
    ...they should probably do a Lando show.

No, it's interesting that they didn't announce him with the show.

And I see that production of Atlanta has been delayed until 2021, this year. So interesting to see how it all plays out. Are they going to let him finish up the next season of Atlanta, then start Lando, or what? Or I suppose it's possible that they go with someone other than Donald Glover.

Disney owns FX now too, so it's all in the company.

Oh, and yes, when it was announced... that FX is doing Shōgun!!!

[​IMG]

I loved that as a kid watching it.

And I guess in the early 80s everything Japanese was cool. Apple computers and anything from Japan.

Anyway.

23. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Not appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2021
  24. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  25. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Literally none of that is true.

I'm sorry I brought up the conversation again. Please continue with the Lando and Han one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.