main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Din Grogu [Baby Yoda] (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Nov 12, 2019.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I am aware of Kylo Rens misdeeds, but I don’t see how all of his terrible things should prevent us the audience from getting character development of Luke’s students, including Grogu if he is still with Luke.

The Prequel era benefited with TCW giving more character development to Jedi doomed to die.

2. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    have you heard the thing about the deck chairs on the Titantic?

3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Why aren’t fans wanting/assuming Grogu to be Yoda or Yaddle’s child like they wanted Rey to be Luke or Han/Leia’s daughter in TFA?

I don’t want it. But I’m curious why more haven’t matched on the idea of him being a legacy like they did Rey.

4. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Imagine Yoda doing the wild thing fifty years ago, we cannot.

5. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    But that’s the next Disney + show:

Yoda’s Hot Swampy Nights

Lobot's Wig likes this.
  6. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004
    I think GL realized it was a mistake to introduce Yaddle in TPM and that's why we never saw her again. I think it was a mistake because it grounds Yoda's species in biology, and GL deliberately avoided naming Yoda's species to keep his origin a mystery. ...so the question remains, did Yoda even have parents? Did Grogu? Are they some kind of being that is so pure that The Force spontaneously generates one once a millennium?

I don't think they should ever really explain it. The existence of Yaddle creates the assumption, but I don't think that's probably it. If we found out that Yoda and Yaddle are Grogu's parents that would make the whole thing less magical.

Sarge, Shadao and Maythe14thBeWithYou like this.
  7. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Agree 100%. Yoda and Grogu should be something special, Yaddle should be irrelevant.

RetropME likes this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t think Yaddle should be forgotten she exists and she should exist just as much as any other character

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it’s because thus far, Favreau and Filoni don’t seem to be creating an idiotic story.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Elle-Wan likes this.
  10. CISMestizo

CISMestizo Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2020
    I think the reason for the speculation around Rey is that she was introduced into an existing story with a long history and cast of established characters. Remember she was introduced in Episode 7 of the Star Wars saga. Most of the prominent characters were introduced in Episode I and almost all the main cast had some sort of relation with that establishing cast one way, or another. Luke and Leia are Padme and Anakin's kids. The only main cast member to be added with no real prior threads is Han Solo and Lando is introduced via Han. I guess you could say Han is connected to Yoda via Chewie, but this is more a coincidence than a product of this string of relationships. So when you introduce new characters who comes out of the blue as the main cast to this story it seems really odd they have no connection to the prior cast of this family drama. So people naturally gravitated to guessing who is related to who. Finn Calrissian, or Rey Skywalker/Solo/Kenobi/Palpatine. This was especially a problem for Rey. Her backstory was a mystery and set up like a mystery by J.J. Abrams to get people guessing and excited for the next movie in hopes for answers. The flashback scene in particular really drives home the importance of Rey's heritage. Another reason and one I think The Force Awakens actually stumbles into is Rey's unexplained force abilities. Rey's origin could have been left a mystery, her being a nobody could have worked, but when you bring in the fact her ability to use advanced force abilities makes no sense it demanded an answer and heritage was one of the most intuitive places to look. What's funny is I think this was an accident do to a confused and rushed script writing process. Originally Luke was suppose to train Rey, but Luke got cut from the movie as not to outshine the new cast. I think they just ran out of time to adjust the story to this new reality and left the part in of Rey having advanced force abilities. I think this is why Rey gets tagged with a certain label. The first person I heard suggest Rey was a Mary Sue said she'd be one if she wasn't a Skywalker. Mary Sues are narrative invaders and this is the story of the Skywalker family so having some rando come in and take over the story with abilities inconsistent with the narrative, lore and themes that came before really contribute to this perception of Rey. This gave greater importance to Rey's origin. It wasn't simply answering a mystery, but fixing bad writing. When I called out a lot of the writing issues with Rey a common defense I heard was that Episode 8 will explain the character. I think this is why people took Rey Nobody so badly. It doesn't explain Rey, or fix the writing issues with the character. What some saw as problems, many saw as mysteries and well The Last Jedi broke that illusion.

With Grogu on the other hand he's in a side story about side characters. While TFA was suppose to continue an existing story. The Mandalorian is a brand new story of its own that just so happens to be set in that Galaxy Far Far Away. The only real constraint to side stories like the Mandalorian is lore. Where the Sequels had things like narrative, characters and themes to consider. I think this is why Rogue One and Solo don't get criticized nearly as much as the Sequels, or even the Prequels. Grogu doesn't need to be connected to any existing character because those characters aren't part of, or important to the story of The Mandalorian, at least not at the outset. There aren't as many reasons to explicitly know Grogu's origin. He's not a random introduction to this story. He's a key member of the establishing cast. The Mandalorian also never plays up his origin as being important. His main purpose is to be protected by Mando. We could never have learned his actual origin, or his name and he would still function the same as a character and make sense for the story he is in. The Mandalorian just has a lot more leeway in how it can tell it's stories because it doesn't have the weight of the prior movies weighing it down like the Sequel Trilogy did. As to his force abilities, unlike Rey, until Chapter 13 his backstory is really vague. With Rey we knew she didn't know what the force was and the flashbacks reinforce the idea she has no prior training. Which creates the issues I mentioned earlier when she all of a sudden knows how to use them and necessitates an explanation. With Grogu we initially have no idea of his past, or his proficiency with the force. Nothing about Grogu contradicts what we know about the lore of the Star Wars universe and Chapter 13 gives some backstory to Grogu and it doesn't contradict the existing lore. We just don't need to know Grogu's parents. The same way we don't need to know Yoda's, or Obi wan's.

TofuJedi likes this.
  11. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004
    The Phantom Menace (where we saw Yaddle) took place in 32 BBY. So by the time we saw Yaddle, Ahsoka had been a Jedi Youngling at the temple for 4 years. Yaddle was on the Jedi Council during this time, but 10 years later she was gone when AOTC started. So Yaddle and Ahsoka overlapped as Jedi somewhere between 4 and 14 years. If Yaddle died I would think it would be pretty big news that a Jedi Council-member died and Ahsoka would remember it. ...yet in her TM episode Ahsoka said she's only 'met one other being like Grogu, Yoda'.

Of course Ahsoka was created and added after TPM/AOTC came out. So there are some bends necessary to fit her in there. BUT, her line in TM is brand new. They had 20/20 hindsight when they decided for her to say she's met only one (instead of the tiny change 'i've only met two...'). ...and there's no way Favreau and Filoni forgot about Yaddle. I'm sure she was discussed constantly when they were designing Grogu.

EDIT: read the additional detail that in literature Yaddle died in 26 BBY. ...so Ahsoka was with the Jedi for 7 years while Yaddle was alive (Ahsoka was 10 years old). Yaddle died on a mission *with* Anakin Skywalker. So the idea that Ahsoka wouldn't be aware of Yaddle is absurd.

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  12. King Maul

King Maul Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2016
    I wonder how long Grogu stays with Luke. Personally I belive he will end up with Din again.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Both Din and Grogu are The Mandalorian. He’ll be back.

14. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004
    I've always held open the possibility that Grogu is actually The Mandalorian the show title is referring to. It'd be kind of a clever fake-out.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m almost certain of it. Grogu with the Mando medallion on at the end of season 1 was no accident. He’s going to be the next Mandalor.

16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The biggest reason for me is that The Mandalorian did not explicitly make itself an entry in a long running family story. Kylo did that in TFA; I was honestly a Reywalker theorist more because I couldn’t see Kylo alone being anything but a negative entry in that family story and a liability to the new characters.

It’s like when they talk about the hypothetical of the ST having the OT3 being long dead before it, or having no kids among them, or of having new trilogies (Johnson’s or Waititi’s) without any Skywalkers.

The Mandlaorian not only features older and legacy characters in strictly support roles, but it also isn’t putting any outright heroic or protagonist ones into antagonist and evil roles.

CISMestizo and Bor Mullet like this.
  17. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    The only legacy that is interesting in star wars is the Skywalker one, and Grogu sure is it, in master/learner capacity. Who his mommy is is of less consequence.

Also, it's quite obvious when you look at him that he is not Yoda's son, they look nothing alike besides the obvious species features

Master Cado Afu likes this.
  18. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004
    Grogu is far more handsome than Yoda was. Grogu is like a model.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Grogu's so hot right now.

20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    How much Grogu do you all think we'll see next season? Not at all? A couple of episodes? Several episodes?

21. LukeSkywalker7

LukeSkywalker7 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 14, 2012
    If I had to guess I’d say in the finale or the last two episodes only but that’s just me throwing darts.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Grogu has a new look: GREEN BESKAR!

23. Elle-Wan

Jul 11, 2004
    I think we'll see him some, but he needs to be away for a while to demonstrate that he his learning with Luke. If he's back in the main story too quick it ruins the separation scene at the end of season 2. My idea is that the show could peek in on what he's doing with Luke a couple times, could even be after credits stingers. ...like one where he's floating with his hands in a yoga pose and levitating some boulders, and maybe he opens one eye to check if it's working. ...or maybe trying to build his tiny lightsaber. ...he could call Din on a video screen and show him his new lightsaber (be careful!). haha

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Sarge and seattlemusicnerd like this.
  24. CISMestizo

CISMestizo Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2020
    Not sure if this is the best place to share this, but I had to share this gem I found.
    [​IMG]

25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It's strange, just like with Yoda, this character's popularity can erupt. After initial scepticism for both, they've become such well loved characters.

The Regular Mustache likes this.