main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.01 - Chapter 9 - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 29, 2020.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 13, 2020.
  1. 10

21.5%
  2. 9

31.9%
  3. 8

32.6%
  4. 7

10.4%
  5. 6

1.5%
  6. 5

1.5%
  7. 4

0.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TheChosenAlpha

TheChosenAlpha Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 15, 2020
    Here I was coming up with theories on how starkiller is still canon and, fed up with his old sith ways decided to become a villager in Mos Pelgo. :_|

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Do we know the name of the urban planet at the start of the episode?

3. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Not yet.

4. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    An episode worth waiting for! Very well put together and being back on Tatooine is always a good start. The CGI this season is truly an improvement, the Krayt Dragon looked amazing. Always loved the lessons of Star Wars, work together to achieve your common goal. Cobb Vanth seemed great as to hit with his book persona. And all the tidbits thrown in just for the fans seemed to resonate well with many. Maybe didn't move the story along fast enough, but yet another adventure for our hero.....and then the cameo at the end! Breathtaking!!

5. Queen Apailana

Queen Apailana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    I recognized Cobb Vanth when the character was first shown. I’m not a fan of Aftermath, so I wasn’t thrilled to see a character from the trilogy. To my surprise, I quite liked Vanth by the end of the episode. On one hand, I was glad they switched up his character so it didn’t match with Aftermath, as I enjoyed the show version a lot more. On the other hand, I was disappointed that Disney couldn’t keep its own canon straight.

I also liked finally getting to see a Krayt Dragon; that was quite cool. I believe some have mentioned that the Krayt Dragon pearl was mentioned in Legends. Could someone tell me which book it was mentioned in? While it was a nice nod to Legends material, it felt a bit repetitive of the Mudhorn episode. Fight a large animal in the desert and find an orb-shaped prize at the end which is treasured by an alien species.

Other than that, I enjoyed seeing a bit more of Tusken Raiders and Baby Yoda.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    @Queen Apailana Cobb Vanth was telling the story. It may not be the full version of the story.

RetropME likes this.
  7. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Wookieepedia says a krayt dragon pearl was first mentioned in the Darksaber novel. But it is far more well known for being in The Knights of the Old Republic video game, which had a quest that this episode is heavily inspired by.

8. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I was talking with some friends last night, and it kind of struck me. If COVID had not been a thing this year, I bet they had a very limited theatrical release (perhaps even IMAX) for this episode planned for this year. Perhaps a one weekend only type deal. The extended runtime, the top-notch production value (this episode has some of the best use of the Volume to date), the Boba Fett tease at the end to get people talking, and, especially, the shifting aspect ratio during the Krayt Dragon fight at the end to expand the screen and showcase the action in a whole new way. It would have been a nice little way for fans to get a chance to see some Star Wars on the big screen if they so chose this year, since there was no movie release, and this episode more than any other seems especially tailored to that big screen experience.

Hey, if something like that awful looking Inhumans show could do it...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    TheYodaPagoda, MrDarth0 and Krueger like this.
  9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes, the shifting aspect ratio makes me think this was going to cinemas. A shame. This was the most cinematic episode to date.

If Favreau is indeed directing Chapter 16, I wouldn't be surprised if we get the same.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m hoping against hope that Famuyiwa directs the finale too. He got two episodes last season, and I don’t see why he shouldn’t get two this season.

11. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Finally got a chance to watch this episode. My thoughts as I'm watching:

-Interesting locale with the urban landscape graffiti and the arena fight is cool. Sort of like the galaxy far, far away equivalent of a boxing match but with weapons.

-Oh, wow, the stakes rise quickly with the one-eyed alien Mando is meeting shooting one of the combatants in the fighting ring.

-Haha, Mando leaving the one-eyed alien tied up with a cool, "That wasn't the deal." [face_laugh]

-Ah, the reappearance of the repair lady from season one who scolded Mando for his lack of parenting skills.

-"So he likes droids now." Character development for Mando, eh?

-Speeder ride across Tatooine with Baby Yoda in the backseat. Fun!

-The cantina conflict has a Wild West feel. I like it.

-Creepy to see the sand rippling like that. Makes you wonder what is making it ripple like that.

-Oh, a krayt dragon is responsible. Dragon slaying. Very space fantasy.

-Kind of a long flashback sequence. How I feel about it will probably depend on how important and developed the character ends up being. [face_dunno]

-The call echoing through the canyon is great.

-Neat glimpse of Tusken Raider camp culture. Shows they can be negotiated with via a type of sign language and how each side has committed wrong in this conflict of settlers versus Tusken Raiders.

-Like the strategy session with the Tusken Raiders.

-I appreciate that this episode calls out the settlers for their "They're monsters" bias against the Tusken Raiders. Good stuff.

-"It's going to be great" just after breaking up a potential fight[face_laugh]

-The belly is the weak spot of the krayt dragon. Pretty common with fantasy dragons. Like that kind of allusion to myths from our world.

-Krayt dragon vomit. Gross. [face_sick]

-Boom go the dynamite and boom go the krayt dragon.

-Oh, wow, the Krayt dragon survived that explosion. Crazy.

-More krayt dragon vomit. Is that really necessary? Blech.

-Krayt dragon explodes again and this time does appear to be dead. Kind of redundant in the manner of death but cool to see the flying jetpacks used.

-Mando gets the armor.

-The classic image of the Tatooine sunset.

Overall thoughts: I liked the outpost scenes, which had a Wild West vibe, and the concept of fighting a krayt dragon feels true to the space fantasy origins of Star Wars. Nice to see more of Tatooine and to have the reappearance of the repair lady from season one. The development of the Tusken Raider culture and emphasis on how the settlers view of them as "monsters" is problematic and how they can come together to achieve common goals was a strong theme throughout the episode. The weakest part of the episode was probably the fight against the krayt dragon which felt a bit dragged out to me and redundant in the final aspect of how the krayt dragon was killed.

Episode score out of 10: a solid 8.

Time to check out the next episode!

Bor Mullet, Sarge and DarthFixxxer like this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This was a great read. But also really funny how the twin suns at the end were referenced, but NOT the guy who was looking at them. You know, THAT guy. ;)

13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    @devilinthedetails Thanks for watching this show now, you are giving me the opportunity to comment on the episodes that I watched when I was taking a break from the boards :p

Even though I wasn't impressed storywise from the season premiere, I was definitely impressed by the obvious step up in production budget. That episode was absolutely fantastic visually, even if it was set on the home planet of all Star Wars, our beloved desert planet.

Being very familiar with Krayt Dragons from various videogames, I was a little confused by the form and the size of this particular one, but it turns out there are two different kinds of Krayt Dragons and this one was the giant kind, so it's all good. Everything about the Tusken Raiders in this episode was fantastic. Din Djarin was absolutely amazing and fearless and the hero we want and deserve.

Cobb Vanth was a delight, Grogu was as cute as ever, and I'm not gonna lie, I had missed those fellows so much that I would probably have been satisfied with anything they gave us. Jon Favreau's direction was a large scale production, and the only thing that bothered me I guess is that I don't really get impressed with monsters just because they are huge in size, so I kinda didn't care that they focused on the size of the Krayt Dragon. But the nuances around it, its vomit, its weak spot, its behavior were pretty solid.

Also:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  14. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Bor Mullet Thank you! So glad you found my review a great read. I had fun sharing my thoughts as I watched. Made me feel like I was part of a viewing party even though I obviously got around to my viewing months later than everyone else[face_laugh]

@DarthFixxxer I agree that the increase in production budget is clear going from season 1 to season two. I enjoyed a lot of the aesthetic and world building of season one, but I don't think it's cinematography could rival season two. Season two to me definitely represents an uptick in cinematic quality. Each episode in terms of cinematography to me seems to be on par with with a blockbuster movie made to be seen on the big screen. There have been scenes in every episode so far where I find myself thinking how cool it'd be to see that on the big screen or how well that'd play out on the big screen. There is just a sense of scale (for lack of a better description) to the flight and fight sequences that to me wasn't as present in season one compared to season two.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  15. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    And wait till you see Chapters 13 to 16......

devilinthedetails likes this.