main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Oya manda!: The Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Mandalorian_, Jan 5, 2005.

1. E. L.Knight

E. L.Knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2012
    Another good word!

dar'manda [dar-MAHN-da] a state of not being Mandalorian - not an outsider, but one who has lost his heritage, and so his identity and his soul - regarded with absolute dread by most traditionally-minded Mando'ade

clone commander bossk likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A.k.a. not doing the mando thing the way those "traditionally-minded" mandos think it should be done
    :p ;)

3. E. L.Knight

Dec 4, 2012
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Man I am so excited for the final. Hopefully we see the nite owls again

clone commander bossk and ZV-83 like this.
  5. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    That would be awesome! This has been another amazing season and with all the other new shows coming up, I think Disney+ over the next few years might start over taking Netflix unless Netflix somehow figures out something new.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  6. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I hope we see Sabine and Clan Wren.

godisawesome , E. L.Knight and ZV-83 like this.
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think dar'manda would most often be applied to someone you could argue "should" be a Mando, either from extraction, personal background, or from their posturing. The other insults would apply more rightly to outsiders, who can still be traitors either as Mandalorian allies or as among their own kind (which a "proper Mando" would still probably find deplorable)... and maybe any ex-Mando who's so far gone that using dar'manda would still be claiming some former ownership of them, so using the other term allows for a more visceral rejection of their claim to the heritage.

For instance... I think Gar Saxon would probably be called dar'manda as an insult, as his former past as a Mandalorian with a full clan, ancestral armor, and loyalty to a great house would be acknowledged by Bo-Katan and others, while Tyber Saxon might be called the other insult in an attempt to disown him entirely from the culture.

Sabine's arguably the most plot-significant Mano left, not just for impacts on familiar stories and characters, but also for the Mandalorians' overall status as a people.

She was the most overtly and loyally pro-Jedi and pro-Rebellion Mando we know, and while proud of her heritage, had enough critical self-awareness of herself and her culture to avoid some of the more pseudo-nationalist feelings of Bo-Katan as a heroic Mando.

If, as I suspect, the people who lived on Mandalore and in its culture across the Galaxy are still a significant population, but a vast majority have been stripped of/given up their armor as a result of the Galactic Civil War... there's a chance Sabine may represent a type of Mando who's in a middle ground between the New Mandalorians and Bo-Katan's Night Owls: willing to fight and perhaps allies to the New Republic, but tired of war and their warrior culture enough to not fight over the beskar and the armor anymore if it is lost.

In other words... and entire faction that Din might have been raised to consider Dar'Manda and that Bo-Katan might have some condescending views about even as she still seeks to unite them again with the Darksaber.

8. E. L.Knight

Dec 4, 2012
    Speaking of the Darksaber, After Bo Katan lost it, didn't Sabine claim it? So who would be its current rightful owner?

9. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    She gave it to Bo-Katan in their Rebels episode, having retrieved it herself from Maul's hideout.

Bo-Katan apparently lost it to Gideon at some point, though she appears to have not been there when it happened.

10. clone commander bossk

Nov 5, 2019
    I'm not sure, since Dave Filoni said mando was before the rebels epilogue and she was wearing her armor in that. But, who knows at this point.

ZV-83 and godisawesome like this.
  11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Her wearing the armor is already confirmed, and I'm 99% certain if she shows up, she personally wouldn't be "disqualified" as a Mando by nay but the most fervent believers of the Watch.

But what I really want is someone offering a Satine-like critical review of Mandos from inside their culture, but more measured and pragmatic, and Sabine feels like she could fit that bill. The kind of person who might be genuinely opposed to the Watch in a far more stern manner than Bo-Katan would be, and who does believe in peace and justice... but also has no problem with armoring up to keep that peace and ensure that justice, and who supports the New Republic outright.

...Plus, I like the idea of Sabine and Bo-Katan being polite rivals over what Mandalore's future should be. Considering how Bo kind of wound up hijacking a premise that Sabine was also being set-up for, it might be nice to make that less subtextual and more flat out textual, and highlight Bo's limits as a leader.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They need do a word for outsider that don’t also mean traitor, so situation like this wont happen:

“Why did you kill them!”
    “You asked us to take care of the <traitors>.”
    “No! I asked you to take care of the <outsiders>! You know show them the sights. Not kill them!”

13. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    That's what being trilingual in Basic and Huttese is for!:D

14. clone commander bossk

Nov 5, 2019
    [face_laugh]

15. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Force Ghost star 4

Mar 28, 2004
  16. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
  17. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
  18. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
  19. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
  20. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    This makes me want to play Jango Fett: Bounty Hunter Gamecube! :)

21. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Need a remaster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    You can get it on the PlayStation store if you have a PS4

23. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    I never saw this before, this is when Temuera Morrison was inducted as a honorary Mandalorian Merc. I would love it if Haka would somehow become the war dance of all Mandalorians.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    bumps

So, Mandalorian Season 3, anyone hyped?

25. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I’m ready.