main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Mandalorian and Grogu Box Office Thread - Releasing May 22, 2026

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Lee_, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    $140M OW
    $1 Billion WW

2. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    LOL.

You in your feelings and a lot of that was targeting me. Not going to play those games so a mod can ban me because you don't like my posts.

Favreau and Filoni get it. Rian doesn't - why he'll never touch another SW project while F&F get all of it and KK on her way out. We'll see how it all plays out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    DarthFixxxer likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Everyone involved in this asinine battle over the quality of films that this forum is not designated for:

[​IMG]

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And, on a side note...

Also, this needs to be made clear, once and for all, Kathleen Kennedy runs LFL. KK hires EVERYBODY that works on Star Wars now. That includes Favreau. Her "hands" are on all of it. Some of it you like, some of it you don't, but she gets criticism/credit either way. She hires the people, they make the Star Wars. Blasting her for hiring RJ, or JJ, but not crediting her for hiring Favreau is a double standard. No one working on anything at LFL does so without her supervision/approval. She is just as involved with The Mandalorian as any other Star Wars project. You just like what these particular creators she hired are doing this time. So do I. But this double standard, that the "Bad" Star Wars is directly her fault, but the "Good" Star Wars is being made while she's in the bathroom, or taking a coffee break, needs to stop.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  5. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    What @2Cleva said doesn't contradict any of the above though.
    Lucas created Star Wars, Filoni was already at LFL, and Favreau approached her with a great pitch, not the other way around
    This is not a comment on the quality of any material btw on my part. Nor do I care if KK gets Star Wars or not.
    I fully respect the warnings above.

On topic:

I think if by 2023 things globally are either what they used to be pre-Covid19 or close to that, Rogue Squadron might break the $1 billion mark. I think it heavily depends on the way that they will promote this movie. Will it be promoted mostly as a Star Wars movie, or as a super blockbuster action sky fighting movie? I actually think the latter might have more success.

I also think the box office will heavily depend on the cast. If they can get a couple of really big names, it will work very much in their favor.
    I still wonder if this movie will have any Jedi, lightsabers or the Force. If it does, I'll go watch it. If it doesn't, I might not.

2Cleva likes this.
  6. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I don't know how much big names will have influence or not for a Star Wars film box office. There's really only a very small handful of actors that actually put butts in seats just off of name alone and I can't see them doing a Star Wars film. Most of the actors and actresses so far in the Disney era of Star Wars have been far from household names. I'm not saying that it doesn't factor in somewhat but they should be more concerned about the actor fitting the role, not trying to get a splash name because it's shown that they don't quite need to at this point.

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    lol This always reminds me of the deep-state protesting, elderly Trumpers who were holding signs that said, "Government, keep your hands off my Medicare." Hilarious. Such a perfect parallel. "KK, keep your hands off my SW!" [face_laugh].

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    KK hired Favreau and Filoni to make the Mandalorian.

Plus, there was almost universal fan praise for Rogue One. Edwards gets Star Wars on a deep level too, IMO. And KK hired him.

Just...enough with the double standard. KK makes all the hiring decisions for Lucasfilm. Therefore, when you like or dislike something created by someone at Lucasfilm, give her credit or give her blame for hiring that someone. Not to mention that KK is also an Executive Producer on Mando, and not just the person who hired F&F. Claiming she has “nothing to do” with the things you really like is nonsense. Why persist with that obviously false narrative?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    DarthPhilosopher, DarthRamRod and EHT like this.
  9. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    How much creatively has Kennedy contributed to the best stuff? Thats more what I was getting at.

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    How much creatively has Kennedy contributed to the worst stuff? We just don't know. All we know is who she hired, and whether or not she's an Executive Producer on something. All he really know is that she's the head of Lucasfilm, and greenlights everything that happens. So in the absence of significant and credible knowledge about her creative involvement in every project, we can't see she was deeply involved in one thing, and not in the other. Those are simply speculative assumptions based on prejudices, not facts.

EHT and Riv_Shiel like this.
  11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    This is pretty much true of being a manager in general. What happens on your watch is your responsibility, and you take the hits with the successes since you ultimately have an active role in every result, either because you allowed it, directed it, or created the environment that allowed it to happen.

It's safe to say others would have managed it differently. Lucasfilms is not a democracy, and she could have kicked Filoni and Favreau to the curve from the start; the fact that she didn't means she takes a portion of credit when SW is successful because of their contributions; that's also the way administrative functions work in every organization.

Despite Monday morning quarterbacking being easy to do, KK didn't make any outlandish choices in terms of movie directors; this is true regardless of their success level after the fact.

SW has had a lot of actors that were new to the scene, and is known for that. However, there are a good number of actors that exist just underneath the "A" list actors that you talk about; guys like Liam Neeson or Samuel Jackson.

"A" list actors almost certainly shouldn't be in SW though. That was the discussion we were having before; putting Tom Cruise in this movie would be an epic fail. That would bring a backlash that would make the Batman Affleck controversy look small.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I generally agree that A list actors are distracting by their very presence in films like SW that are about immersing the viewer in another world, but I always have to make an exception for Sir Alec Guinness. His subtle and layered acting in ANH elevated the material of every scene he was in, adding depth and meaning to plot points that weren't even there yet.

13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't think Guinness would be considered an A list actor at the time of ANH. Not if you define it has someone who is in the elite at putting butts in seats. He would be on an A list of talent and legendary regard as an actor of course.

14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Is this the BoxOffice Thread?

I used to love these threads. The Special Editions in 1997 were beyond our wildest dreams. That’s what got me interested in movie grosses. Prequels were ok. The Force Awakens had an amazing box office run. It did the impossible feat of running a marathon at the pace of a sprint. It did in weeks what took other movies months to make. Then gravity returned to Star Wars box office, with the low point of Solo. All of it interesting.

Now we are in 2021. The movie theater business collapsed because of a global pandemic. What will bid office look like in 2023 fir Rogue One? Has the movie industry forever been changed? What will be a big gross going forward? Can a film ever again make as much money as The Force Awakens?

The path ahead to the box office is untrodden ground.

Lee_ likes this.
  15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    There won't be another billion dollar film until Ava2ar. Book it.

indydefense likes this.
  16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    lol yeah the TFA Box Office thread was wild times.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m happy to see the demise of box office discussion. Always one of the least interesting topics for me. ;)

PymParticles likes this.
  18. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

EHT, Bor Mullet and 2Cleva like this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You bet! Clearly uninteresting doesn’t mean unwelcoming. Appreciate the kind words. ;)

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Wait until this movie is a year or so away and starts getting advertised, this thread will be resurrected quicker than Palpatine. The mods will once again have to earn their paycheck in this frequently combative and off-the-rails thread. We may have some returning champions in this thread before long.....

21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    100 trillion opening weekend. Disney buys Europe for some reason and the rest is history.

Darth Smurf and EHT like this.
  22. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Their HQ will be in Bavaria

Ubraniff Zalkaz and Lee_ like this.
  23. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Considering our current standard is $30-$60 million for movies right now, how in the heck do you even predict a box office?

Especially when you consider that Regal and many AMC theaters are closed with no sign of reopening at the moment.

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    By induction of course! You have to factor all of what may or may not change between now and then. The game of box office just got a lot tougher, so your prediction is even more meaningful if you are right.

[​IMG]

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  25. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    The U.S. domestic box office will be $0.

In December 2021, Disney will begin buying up vacant movie theaters nationwide, turning them into a multimedia entertainment/dining chain called Star PlaceTM. You can reserve up to two seats at a screening through your Disney+ subscription, or up to six seats with a premium tier Disney+Family subscription. All films produced under the Disney and 20th Century Studios labels (with the exception of the Avatar franchise) will be distributed exclusively through Star PlaceTM. Rogue Squadron will be part of the initial launch of this innovative movie going service.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021