main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Luke Skywalker (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s not “attachment” in the Buddhist sense that inspired the concept. That’s “compassion.” Very different things, even though to many Western eyes, they seem exactly the same.

2Cleva and wobbits like this.
  2. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    I would be the first to admit that I know very little, if anything, about Buddhism - especially in regards to the differences you mentioned about "attachment" and "compassion" and how it is distinguished between within the buddhist religion.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that Ahsoka refuses to train Grogu because she saw a good person turn to evil to save the person he loves; to save his "family" as he was blinded by nightmares in thinking there was no other way. Ahsoka sees attachment in a negative light because of that; particularly where training a new Force User is concerned.

On the other hand, Luke saw an evil man return to the light because of the love he felt for his son - love for his family being that slightest sliver of good buried deep within Vader.

So whether that be compassion, or attachment, or whatever else, to me, Luke views this sort of thing in a positive light and his experiences with Vader / Anakin would form a strong basis as to why he chose to train Grogu. This reasoning doesn't come with the negatives that Ahsoka saw because that is not what Luke experienced. And I certainly like the odds that at some point between ROTJ and The Mandalorian, Anakin would have appeared to (or communed with) Luke and explained why he went to the Dark Side in the first place; which to me, would only enhance Luke's reasoning further.

And then to top it all off, not only is that reasoning applied to train Grogu, but also for me, that same reasoning will be why Luke returns a "trained" Grogu back to Din as soon as possible; at some point in Season 3. Because Luke would view this as Grogu being re-united with his family (Din); family being something that Luke strongly values.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  3. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Dude this is an epic post and if Favreau can actually make this happen, would be a sight to behold. It’d be the perfect way to see the lesson Luke learned during his mission to become a Jedi and save his father play out in a post ROTJ galaxy.

Shadao and Generational Fan like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Vader’s compassion for Luke, not his attachment. It was Vader’s attachment to his mother and Padme that drove him to the dark side. If he had simply been compassionate towards them, rather than jealously grasping onto them, things would have been completely different. This is a fundamental difference.

But yeah, if Luke can clarify that compassion and love are different than attachment, and thus avoid some of the stricter dogmas about relationships that the Jedi have (and thus see the value of the Din and Grogu relationship, which is rooted in compassion), that would be really cool.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    In terms of the emotional impact? I agree. But from a filmmaking perspective, Edwards beats Reed hands down, IMO.

RetropME, Whistling Birb and Sarge like this.
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Rewatching Luke’s appearance now, and I’m curious...

...is anyone else thinking his hallway musical theme is inspired by The Imperial March, but as a sort of “good guy version?”

It feels like it’s trying to be “hopefully foreboding,” and some for he bits and pieces feel like they’re extrapolated form the March but given a less menacing and more spiritual feel.

8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I thought it was trying to portray the ominous ending for the Dark Troopers, which it does well. I think the "March" element is far more prevalent in the Vader hallway scene, to me it seems more of a natural progression from Williams "The Jedi Steps/Finale" from TFA.

godisawesome likes this.
  9. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    @Bor Mullet and @Dick rogers, I would really love to see this happen (what you both mentioned); particularly at that moment when Din and Grogu are reunited for the first time.

I think that would be the ideal time for Luke to not only impart some wisdom and knowledge onto Din, but also on to the audience as a whole in respect of Anakin's decision making and the Jedi Council's rules. Because for me and from some points of view regarding Grogu, The Mandalorian subtlety shows why the Jedi Council were correct in their rules and decision-making; but also, at the same time, quite limiting for individual circumstances.

I know it's probably more for a "Luke" TV show, but I would love to see Favreau touch upon it too in The Mandalorian.

2Cleva, Shadao, dick rodgers and 2 others like this.
  10. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    While I do think the Rogue One scene was better shot, I do expect this from a big budget movie vs. a much smaller budgeted TV show.

Mando has some great production values in it and in a lot of ways blows some of the new movies out of the water - cough worldbuilding, character work etc - but if both a TV and a movie production put their best efforts into an action set piece and there is talent behind each, which I think both properties did here, the movie is likely gonna win.

What made the Mando scene endearingly different for me was the the 3-person POV within the scene. The Vader hallway scene had "the monster" vs. the poor red shirt good guys and the audience watching it. Mando had "the wizard" making short work of the, up to this point, near insurmountable threat and it was all watched by a bunch of badasses who collectively looked like "yup, there is our level of badassery and there is this". And the baby cutely touching the monitors.

To me there were similarities but enough differences to make both scenes stand out from each other. And if you want, you can imagine Clone Wars Anakin proudly dabbing at his eyes in Force Ghost heaven when his son did the force crush at the end. While Obi Wan rolls his eyes good-naturedly next to him.

And the idea of little R2 regally rolling through his fallen but evil droid brethren a safe distance after Luke with a smug air "yeah, stay down or I will give you something to cry about"? Just awww. [face_love]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    2Cleva, Doompup, Shadao and 7 others like this.
  11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
  12. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Favreau single handedly saved the future of this franchise by becoming Grogu’s teacher. They are setting up for a Grogu invoked trilogy years past the ST I fully believe this. It’s all intentional. And in the process they made hugggge headway in bringing back Luke Skywalker back to his rightful place in the GFFA. Love it. #thankyouJon&Dave

2Cleva and DarthKreVass like this.
  13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Wait, Favreau is teaching Grogu how to screenwrite and direct? :p

14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    If he can mentor Peter Parker, chauffeur Tony Stark and write, direct and produce the MCU surely he can teach Grogu? ^:)^

2Cleva, Saturn830, Trepis and 4 others like this.
  15. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Looks like the supporting cast must have been kept in the dark with the Luke reveal, so much so that they didn't even know who/what that they were acting against in the finale's final moments.

EDIT: Katee Sackhoff deleted the tweet because people were yelling about "spoilers" in her mentions but basically, the deleted tweet was about how she didn't know Luke was even in the scene until she watched the episode at home.

Edit 2: Revised/backup version? Does this work?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    2Cleva, MrDarth0 and Sarge like this.
  16. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Explains why the scene felt bit like everyone was overly quiet. it was very carefully written around.

RetropME likes this.
  17. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    The way that scene was shot, I don't think even Pedro had a need to know.

Pedro's unmasked face never shares a frame with anything incriminating. Not Artoo. Not the gloved hand. Not his lightsaber hilt. Only a green glow which could have been added post or manipulated.

18. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Makes you wonder what was written in the script. i assume they tricked the cast too in some way.

19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    That is indeed a qood question. I wonder if they just told them some random alien CGI Jedi would show up, that they would have to add later?

20. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    I think that's absolutely the reason that Luke never says his name. There's nothing in the script or casting that could be leaked. Casting always leaks and anything in the script could easily get out. I love the scene and think it works perfectly as is, but I think you have to give it a little bit of leeway just because they tried so hard to keep the secret. It worked.

21. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Could be that it just says Jedi shows up.

22. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Id assume the issue there would be that the cast would say hey why are you filming this "Jedi" separately? are they someone special? which they probably could piece together themselves. and then that risks one of them revealing it.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    A Jedi arrives. Simple.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    And it the secrecy could have been sold to the cast as easily as "It's a mostly CG character and we haven't finalized the design yet".

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Or for even more secrecy, 'The New Republic arrives to assist.'