main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Animated Shorts Star Wars: Visions - General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    It would be great if Lucasfilm named the studios they have lined up so we could watch their previous work if we haven't seen them already, to get an idea of what Visions will look like.

2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I would love to see some of the shorts in this Visions anthology get pretty abstract, visually. This excerpt from Leigh Brackett's unused script for The Empire Strikes Back has always stuck out to me, and Visions seems like the perfect place to explore visuals along these lines:

I would also love to see an episode with a visual depiction of Jedi that matches Doug Chiang's Jedi concepts for The Phantom Menace:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh man, Jar Jar would flourish in an anime environment.

CISMestizo, Cyber Spark and bstnsx704 like this.
  4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Much preferred Jar Jar's original green design from Chiang. Really like a lot of the old TPM art.

5. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    That and Rumiko Takahashi. Jedi Half Breed Ezra-Yasha. :)

6. Shamear

Shamear Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2014
    Saw someone on Reddit suggest they should use this medium to also adapt the canon novels and comics and I think that would be perfect.

Would love to see the Aphra and Vader comics adapted into animated shorts.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    McQuarrie and Chiang are still untouchable as Star Wars concept artists. Geniuses.

CISMestizo, cwustudent and Shamear like this.
  8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'd like to be proven wrong but I can totally see this series getting heavily criticised on social media, when it's released, based on it's designs of female characters. (This is being made by Japanese anime studios right?)

Not to bash anime or Eastern culture in general but let's just say they have a certain way of depicting the female form which doesn't always go over well in the West.

So don't be surprised when you see an episode all about Aayla Secura battling droids in a short skirt.

DarthRamRod likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I wonder if Lucasfilm has ever approached Studio Ghibli to see if they'd be interested in creating a Star Wars series. Would be a smart move in terms of generating immediate interest in some Asian markets that don't go ga-ga over GFFA.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's not as prevalent as you'd think, definitely not so much in anime aimed at kids. It's also fairly comparable to the amount of gratuitous female depictions in Western media.

Wilhuff's Slippers likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Also, who is the "they" in Eastern culture that universally does this? Sounds like outdated Orientalist "bashing" to me.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  12. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Can we please not try to label everything as sexist or sexualized after decades where the sexual revolution made people feel comfortable and free with their bodies and we finally got over the conservative authoritarian regime that showing parts of a body is bad and frowned upon? And it's usually the same people who criticize any hint of "sexual" visuals or nudity in movies, shows, comics etc , who will die on the hill defending someone who is making money by showing their naked body.

Everyone is following some kind of narrative these days which determines what is bad and what is not, but what if we can just all decide to either watch or not watch something depending on whether it fits our aesthetic, rather than yelling about it and trying to cancel people and artists?

tldr; What is wrong with Aayla Secura battling droids in a short skirt if there's nothing sexualized about the scene? And how could there be when she is fighting for her life?

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  13. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    You realize this is a generally small subsection of anime right? You’re making a pretty gross generalization that is not at all representative of the genre as a whole.

14. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I really liked the old Gendy "Clone Wars" cartoon for its hyper style. Some brilliant designs and really easy to follow too.

I partly looked forward to them because they were short. (I know they got a bit longer in series 2). Made it seem really digestible.

An anthology of disparate stories or a series is fine by me. Studio Ghibli would be awesome but I also think it would be a great opportunity for smaller animation companies (and different styles).

I'm not sure how consequential the plot/storylines will be to the rest of the SWUniverse. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Happy times!

15. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Ghibli would be an absolute dream come true- a young child lost in a world, befriending a droid sort of story could rival Pixar in quality. Unfortunately I doubt they’d even consider doing it even if offered.

16. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    I love this idea - I really love Claudia Gray's book, Lost Stars and the Manga of it was equally great - I'd love to see a serialised anime adaptation, although the medium probably lends itself to stories with more mysterious/mystical/magical happenings.

Doctor Aphra and Vader would be good, as you mention!

I'm hankering for a Young Ben Solo, Luke Skywalker, Lorr San Tekka animated project - searching the galaxy for Jedi artifacts, hadn't considered Visions could be a good place for it - but it could!

Shamear likes this.
  17. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I mean, there are a ton of Japanese animations that don't do that. Just kinda seems like concern trolling to me.

18. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    So I was doing some reading on animation forums and the /a/ of the website that will go nameless and recently disney and studio trigger have been a bit friendly with each other so I think one of the shorts may be by them .

In before we get an imperial Moff that the return of one of triggers favourite little tics in animation The Emphases of the HEEL CLICK

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett and Cyber Spark like this.
  19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I mean, they're fine I guess, but they're not a scratch on Ryan Church.

why in the name of god would you willingly do that to yourself?

20. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    This...this is sarcasm. It has to be right? Guys? Seriously guys...

PymParticles likes this.
  21. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    I was bored and curious if they had any spec on what studios could be involved . It wasn't a good time but I did get some info I found interesting (the trigger - disney connection )

Jedi Knight Fett and Cyber Spark like this.
  22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Of course it is, I am just taking a dig at well-known Ryan Church superfan @Bor Mullet. I myself am not broken inside.

23. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    For all my life, I've been into Star Wars and anime. To see these two things combined is a total treat. Hyped for this, and Book of Boba. I would especially be hyped if Studio TRIGGER or Ghibli were on board.

You underestimate the power of SJWs.
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH KILL LA KILL

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2021
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

We might be getting something soon, with this Ronin novel connetcing to a ronin story in on of the 10 movie short animated.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Not necessarily

clone commander bossk likes this.