main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2021 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2021.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Welcome to the 2021 Fitness Goals thread, where we discuss our goals for getting and staying healthy.

As in previous threads, this thread is for support and encouragement.

After having almost everything cancelled last year, only one in-person race, I’m keeping expectations for this year pretty low. I am off of running for right now due to ongoing back issues but I hope to get back into it soon. I would like to do at least one triathlon this year due to being in a new age group—USA Triathlon goes by the age that you will be at the end of a given year, even if you haven’t had a birthday for that year yet.

2. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Goals this year:
    -keep up my mileage from last year and still enjoy it (stay injury free too)
    -run a race I've previously never done
    -PR in the half or 10 mile distance
    -I say it every year but bike more
    -odd one but gain five pounds

When in-person races come back, at least on a large scale, is anyone's guess. It's going to be one of the last things back to normal so that might throw a wrench in a few plans.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My goal is to get 20,000-30,000 daily steps or around 10-15 miles per day.

Shouldn’t be that hard as I have already been doing it for 3 months this year. But this is all for my bigger goal of getting to around 210 pounds. If I really want to be ambitious under 200

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  4. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    - When it was warmer, I visited the park every day and walked the hiking trail around the lake. I'll start doing that again come February. Stretching exercises before each walk I guess

- Morale or emotional fitness: Make some friends. Date again. I'll have a lot of fun keeping you updated on that one.

- Become a "special occasion" drinker instead of "perpetually buzzed to drunk".

Rew, Master_Lok, Billy Budd and 9 others like this.
  5. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Going to keep my goals simple. Hopeful to run 20-35 miles every week, take at least one week maybe two completely off (rest = less injuries in my experience). Trying to decide on a virtual race, hard to swallow the full price for about half the perks. I have a hard time swallowing a $45.00 fee for a 5 or 10k with all the perks!

I also want to add that I really miss swimming! If our outdoor pool safely opens this year my neighbors are going to hate me for hogging the lane.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My only goal right now is to cut my alcohol consumption (not completely) and cook more.

7. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Same goal as I have had for years and unfortunately have never achieved--to keep up a regular exercise routine during the school year. Restarted on Dec 26, and have completed a week streak of at least 30 minutes a day. My body is definitely feeling a lot better after just a week!

My ideal goal would be to do 30 minutes of spin 5 days a week plus 20-30 minutes of bodyweight exercises 2-3 times a week, but when classes start later this month I may have to downgrade the goal to a minimum of a 20 minute walk every day. I really feel frustrated that I never seem to be able to achieve even that extremely minimal goal, but "hope springs eternal," so I will try yet again...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't really have any big goals. I still have an entry to the 30 k ski race in the end of February, but with the state of the world right now I'm not sure it will happen. Otherwise it's just to keep going with my PT and the zumba, and maybe get some gym sessions of my own inbetween that. If I can keep with 2 training sessions of week I'll be happy, but three would be better.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    No big ambitions for me: keep running regularly without injuring myself, plus get back to occasionally doing some chin-ups & pull-ups.

I had the first run of year today, and it felt good - no real aches or pains. It was a nice start.

10. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    This year, I want to achieve a well-rounded fitness. Recently, I re-discovered my enjoyment of free-weights and I intend to follow a balanced program with a focus on compound lifts (once the gyms re-open). I’m going to combine this with my running and swimming.

I’m lucky to have a friend who runs a boxing club, but it’s been shut down because of covid. As soon as the club opens up, I’m going to make the effort to attend regularly as training with other people is something I’ve missed this year.

I hope that 2021 brings positive changes for us all. It’s not going to happen overnight, but I think that we’re going to see a gradual return to normality. As restrictions lift, hopefully we’ll start to return to the sports and activities that we all enjoy.

11. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I made major plans last year on getting fit and did the sum amount of naff all.

Lockdown and covid aside I actually got worse as crappy food and alcohol intake skyrocketed. I dread to think how much I weigh now and my body is starting to now give me signals that I need to make a change.

I've decided that small steps has to be the way this year. I made grandiose plans last year that in hindsight were laughable.

This year booze is being locked in the bedroom and will only be released on special occasions (my biggest vice). I will commit to a 30min dog walk every day after work, the kids usually do the longer walk so this is an easy post work pre tea step to take that won't have a major impact on my lifestyle. The kids can still do their long walk as the dog won't object and I'll take the weekend off.

I commit to try to stick to the above from Monday as that's when I return to work and it feels like a sensible new start point.

I'm not making any additional self promises yet as if I fail on one I'll give up on the rest. Things like increased exercise etc... won't happen till the weathers nicer so saying any about it now is just stupid.

Rew, Master_Lok, Billy Budd and 9 others like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I was planning to run today, but I ended up shoveling snow instead, about 5-6 inches of sticky wet heavy stuff. I need to get to a hardware store and buy a snow scoop; the shovel isn't good for my back or arms.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So far day 2 of my New Years resolution was a success 20k steps today. 31k yesterday.

I might start running on the treadmill my dad has.

14. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I did my first ski session today. I more or less just walked on skis for 6 k, but the important thing was to get out and wake up some of the muscles. My feet really hurt for the first 2 k, there are so many muscles that are unused after so many months without skiing or skating. Despite taking it very easy I definitely feel that the body is sore. That is the downside with cross country skiing - even when you take it slow it's really exhausting.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Got back in the gym today for a light workout, first one in far too long. Had a great 2019, cut 50ish pounds. Last year, I took a step back, allowed myself to use covid and the stress around it as an excuse to neglect my health. Hope to have some good updates soon.

Rew, Juliet316, Master_Lok and 11 others like this.
  16. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    I definitely don't think you are alone in that. I also lost ground last year due to reduced activity--even more chained to my computer for work than I already was pre-pandemic. And then of course there was the powerful draw of "comfort food" in these stressful times.

Seriously, I think just not frequently walking up and down the long hallway at work from my office to our building's printer during the work week was a significant contributor to my movement deficit, let alone not teaching in person (I tend to be big "pacer" when teaching in person, frequently moving around the front of the classroom:p).

I'm still working all-virtual from home in the upcoming semester, so I really need to get moving again on a daily basis. It's probably a good thing that I am all-virtual until I can (hopefully) drop the pounds I gained in 2020, because I'm pretty sure most of the real pants in my closet no longer fit!

I do have a positive update for today--still doing daily Peleton classes, alternating bodyweight + shorter spin classes with days with only spin (doing longer spin sessions on those days). I have really enjoyed feeling the sore, "tighter" feeling in my lower body muscles again!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Rew, Runjedirun, Juliet316 and 7 others like this.
  17. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    I think that a lot of people gained a couple of lbs last year. In normal times, I have a very physical job and I train regularly. Because of this, I am used to being able to eat quite a lot. Last year, as my work hours and access to the gym were dramatically cut, I found it difficult to adjust my diet to accommodate the more sedentary lifestyle that was imposed upon me. As I result, I did gain a little weight.

I’m trying to use the extra weight as a positive goal. Shedding the extra pounds has now become one of my motivators and I am determined to get in the best shape possible this year.

Right now, my country is back in full lockdown for the foreseeable future and there will be no gyms open until mid-February (at the earliest). To top it off the pavements are covered in ice and running is not an option for the next week or two. So, I’m sticking to the spin bike I bought last year and my pull-up bar. I’m approaching training with the attitude that I’m going to do some exercise every day, whatever that is. I can’t control the pandemic or my access to facilities, but I can make the most of opportunities that I do have.

18. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    a fellow spin biker!:cool: do you ever do recorded spin classes (like via YouTube)?

Master_Lok and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  19. Dannik Jerriko

Sep 12, 2017
    I had only done a couple of classes at the gym before the pandemic, but I’ve really started to appreciate the benefits of the spin bike since I bought one.

I do use some of the pre-recorded classes on YouTube and I have found them effective. There are lots of channels that require payment, but I have always been able to find a good variety of classes for free.

I also downloaded a Tabata timer, which gives a really intense workout in a short space of time. I try to use different training methods to keep things interesting.

20. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    @Dannik Jerriko I recently saw the word "Tabata" in some of the Peleton on-demand class titles and was wondering what that was (I just googled it). Will have to check that out. If I end up needing to pause my Peleton subscription, I may ask you for your top recs for free spin classes on YT. My favorite instructor there was Gabriella Guevara, but she's since moved to a pay format as well (though her free vids are still available on YT last I checked).

Master_Lok and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  21. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I like to do tabata sessions with my PT. Basically it's extremely short intervals; 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest. It's tough, but since you're thinking that it's "only" 20 seconds I find it easier actually go all in for the whole interval.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think the cold weather is sucking the energy out of me. I've gone running 3 times this year, and haven't been able to run all the way up the big hill. Twice I turned around and only went 3 miles instead of the 5 I was planning. Today I had to walk about two or three hundred yards to get up the hill, but at least I kept going and went the whole 5 miles.

Juliet316, Ava G., Master_Lok and 6 others like this.
  23. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Basically the same as last year and keep mountain biking. My weight has roughly stayed the same that I'm happy with.

Juliet316, Ava G., Master_Lok and 4 others like this.
  24. Billy Budd

Billy Budd Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2021
    This year I want to rebuild my running fitness base. Between 2007 and 2015 I ran a lot, completing eight marathons. Since then I have become the father of two lovely wee girls, but this has not improved my running mileage, and last year I came dangerously close to chucking it in altogether. The plan this year is to get back to one long run, one mid-length run and a short sharp blast on the treadmill after a gym session each week. So far, so good...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  25. Darth_Diealot

Darth_Diealot Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2020
    My plans are bascally the same; bike as much as possible, go running (with our dogs) and work out. I signed up for two great bike events here in Bavaria scheduled for end of June an early August; hopefully they can take place this year. Last year, every bike event had been cancelled.