main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What We Do in the Dark Side: Taika Waititi to direct/co-write new Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PymParticles , May 4, 2020.

1. Master Cado Afu

Master Cado Afu Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 1, 2020
    A few days back CinemaBlend did a quick piece on what Taika Waititi's favorite Star Wars scene was...
    ...I had forgotten that he said that during The Star Wars show the other week. And that could of course just been his favorite scene from The Empire Strikes Back.

Anyway, thinking about that Star Wars logo image again...

[​IMG]

...I saw upthread posted it's similarity to Monty Python's Life of Brian.

Of course, the logo is also similar to "The Enterainment Experience of a Lifetime!" Ben-Hur.

Perhaps a mix of the two in tone for his movie? And hopefully more Ben-Hur than Life of Brian; like a lot more. :cool:

Anyway, I doubt we'll get this, because they would probably have said as much at this point, but a joint venture between Lucasfilm and Pixar I think would be fantastic.

And I say this because the logo looks somewhat animated.

And because I'm about to watch Pixar's Soul, my most anticipated movie of the year; after already finally seeing Tenet a few days back, and after Dune moved.

An animated Star Wars film, done with the care and attention to detail that's a staple of Pixar, would be, well, ausgezeichnet, excellent, I think. :cool:

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Exactly this.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don’t really think an origin of the Jedi film would be something that Taika would be interested in. I expect something far more offbeat and wacky. Something like what James Gunn is doing with The Suicide Squad. A big ensemble with a bunch of wacky characters on some kind of mission. Probably set within the OT timeline. If Jaxxon isn’t in this I’ll be highly disappointed. :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    How would a green rabbit look like in live action and not look to silly.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    It wouldn’t. It should look silly. There’s nothing wrong with a little silly.

Shamear and Riv_Shiel like this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    sure just not too silly, like Yoda is a silly creature. not MCU silly.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    We’re talking about a universe where Jar Jar Binks exists. An anthropomorphic rabbit doesn’t seem like too much of a stretch.

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Make him a little more alien-looking, and less of a straight-up moldy Bugs Bunny, and why not?

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Well no luck there as in canon comics he still looks like a green rabbit in space suit.

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Live-action has plenty of artistic license when translating from comic to screen...

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Well how much different can you go, when he is know for being a green rabbit in space suit.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Doesn’t have to be that different. Just give him weird eyes, slightly more alien-looking ears, and less obviously rabbity teeth, and you’ve got yourself the rabbit equivalent of Mon Cal and Quarren.

14. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I also read that not only that taika Waitit is Jewish but he might also borrow some Jewish biblical elements in his Star Wars movie coming up.

Star Wars movies sure does borrow a lot of Jewish references and history.

Many of the jedi words of writing look like Hebrew alphabets and numbers.

I am Jewish and it’s fun to get that kind of representation from Star Wars.

Another thing is like the whole world is very hostile of the Jews is similar to like the galaxy hating the jedi.

I hope I was not off topic.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Jedi Knight Fett and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Omg not another OT film ! For the love of god! hm it’s interesting he picked a scene with a lot of heart I think he could do Jedi origins just keep the laugh separate from the serious.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't like humor in films either.

17. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Some humor is good but not at the expense of cutting out epic moments.

Shamear and black_saber like this.
  18. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He could do a bounty hunter movie. Fett, Bane, Jabba and the relationship between Beckett and Aurra Sing please. Plenty of crazy stuff to do there without having hardcore fans getting headache.

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Exactly. I wouldn't expect Bucky O' Hare (although I personally wouldn't be opposed to that, haha). It would be the same as Admiral Akbar. He was designed to resemble an alien fish. Only this time, it would be an alien rabbit.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No. I want Bucky O'Hare.
    Captaining the Righteous Indignation.

Krueger likes this.
  21. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Action Jaxxon: A Star Wars Story

Okay, we really have no idea whatsoever, do we?

Bor Mullet, Riv_Shiel and Immortiss like this.
  22. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I hope it has the humor of his other films!

23. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    We’ve had enough bounty hunter stuff.

Lee_ and PymParticles like this.
  24. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I honestly agree with this. We have The Mandalorian. We're getting The Book of Boba Fett. Opening the logline for this movie with something like "...follows a ragtag group of bounty hunters trying to make ends meet in the seedy underworld of the Star Wars universe" would basically elicit a vague shrug from me.

ladygrey45 and Shamear like this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Depends. Clearly Mando was more than just a “bounty hunter” story, for example. It’s also a father and son story, a retake Mandalore story, a post-Imperial story, a New Republic story, and even a Jedi story.

I imagine Book of Boba Fett may be a much more straight bounty hunter joint, but who knows? Maybe they’ll get super creative with that too.

If it’s just about dudes collecting bounties and taking names, yeah, that would have a short shelf life. But there are so many directions you can branch off to, even if you’re starting with...a bounty hunter.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021