main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They're only biologically inclined to be evil until you get to know them.

K2771991 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You know I still haven't worked out how they managed to make this brand new era of Trek so humdrum.

And then there was this two parter.... This season is really in the doldrums for me. Maybe they can turn it around in the final eps but the odds may be against them.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Blobofat likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This season doesn't quite have the propulsive nature of s1-s2, it still feels like a bunch of introductions to the new status quo almost every episode. I don't mind too much cuz I like just expanding the Trek universe but there's not much of a ticking clock to solve something that happened a hundred years ago.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    It’s too bad that they didn’t introduce Georgiou’s quantum destabilization disease earlier in the season. It was a really interesting idea and felt classically Trek. You can jump really far ahead or really far back in your home timeline with minimal side effects aside from causality shenanigans, but if you travel laterally into a parallel reality that’s been slowly drifting apart from yours for thousands of years you begin to destabilize on a quantum level. I wish they had done more with that.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  6. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    It's been mawkish rubbish for a lot of the time. I stopped watching 15 mins into the source of the burn episode. Yet more emotional padding dragging an otherwise decent story down.

Sarge likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, that was unexpected- I would not have anticipated getting a two-parter back-to-back with another two-parter. I don't think the franchise has ever done that before (closest being ENT Season 4 arcs, but even those are kind of a different situation). I read somewhere that this was originally going to be titled "The Citadel, part I" or some such, before being retitled. So, I suppose there's room for that designation to change if they decided to expand this into a multi-episode arc versus a strict two-parter.

Tying the origin of the burn to the emotional state of a lost alien child is also very, very TOS/TMP/early TNG in nature as far as ideas go- and certainly moreso than alternative tech-only or Big Enemy directions they could have taken. And that dilithium planet as a resource is an interesting and, again, unanticipated potential solution to the Burn crisis.

Plus we're getting more of the Tilly subplot as she takes the chair, which was handled very well. Matching her against Osyraa made for a very interesting challenge- especially since it seemingly leads to Osyraa hijacking the spore drive which opens up the possibility of the spore drive tech being let out of the bottle. And that's something that could really change things up very radically since, in this era, they have the freedom to not contain the spread that they lacked during the pre-TOS era.

(Though, really, either Detmer or Tilly should have gone evasive the moment those grappling arms began to deploy. Then again, we kinda saw something similar on Lower Decks, so even ships in the post-TNG era were susceptible to such an attack type even when evading).

At first I thought Su'Kal was played by Max Grodénchik (Rom's actor) but it turns out it is Bill Irwin (Cary on Legion). After the USS Nog Easter egg, that would have been neat, but, alas. Still, Irwin is pretty good in the role so far.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    K2771991 likes this.
  8. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    This is probobly going to suprise a lot of you guys, but I would have perferred it be Pah Wraiths...

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that next season this is going to end up leading to peaple hating the Kelpins for the whole thing, and probobly the Discovery crew having to defend Su'Kal from peaple trying to make an example/punish him for all the destruction he cuased, since it was'nt actually his fualt

Ha, Mr. Noodle.

That takes me back...

Sounds like the managers at my work:D

Darth Caliban likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Doug Jones as Doug Jones was really cool taking awhile to get used to though.

Not sure why they had to make a hologram that's entire job was to torment a manchild but yah it does have a distinct TOS/TNG vibe to it.

"What do you say when you make it do the spinny thing?" was pretty great. Tilly had some great sassback responses but poor gal is clearly going to be traumatized by having her first turn in the chair go completely sideways in 10 minutes.

I have to say that Grudge may be the ugliest damn cat I've ever seen. Like it looks like a giant rat that somehow tried to be a cat then gave up halfway through. Don't dislike them but yikes! Reminds me of Tendi's attempt to make "The Dog". If Grudge suddenly starts talking and walking upright I will not be surprised.

K2771991 likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It was neat to see Doug, though I've always found alien-actor-out-of-makeup moments in Trek iffy as they kinda break the reality.

I think the hologram wasn't designed to torment him but rather play out the storybook. It's just malfunctioning and reacting to him in the same way they all are and he doesn't have the development to counter or realize it.

EDIT- And is there anything more Star Trek than having the galaxy crippled by a holodeck malfunction? ;)

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and K2771991 like this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Key takeaway: Doug Jones is freakin' 60 years old!!!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    First time seeing a purebreed Maine Coon, I assume?
    [​IMG]
    Becuase it gets worse.

HI! Can I teach you a lesson!?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ooh, a good ol' Die-Hard-on-a-Starship episode. I forgot that DIS tends to do 3-parter finales (though the lines are blurred with DIS's more serialized format) because I'm all ready for Captain Tilly and Her Droid Army to retake the ship.

The negotiation scenes between Osyraa and Admiral Vance were actually kinda tense. They walked a line between knowing Osyraa had at least some ulterior motives and there being a legit alliance between the Chain and the Federation. And just when you think that maybe this reduced-Federation might compromise on values, Vance lays it out and stands firm.

Frakkes directed this one but I'm a little sad he won't be finishing the arc off- though the director next week, Olatunde Osunsanmi. directed the first two episodes this season as well as, most interestingly, the Short Treks episode "Calypso" (where future-DIS [or is it Mirror-DIS?] is sentient) and, most notably, the two-part finale of Season 2 (which kicked ass). Looking forward to it!

EDIT- Had this interesting factoid come up in my feed as well (credit to, or shared by, Nathan Butler):

This week's Star Trek: Discovery is the 800th movie or TV Star Trek tale.

TOS: 80
    TAS: 22
    TNG: 176
    DS9: 173
    Voyager: 168
    Enterprise: 97
    Discovery: 41 (including the new one this week)
    Short Treks: 10
    Picard: 10
    Lower Decks: 10
    Films: 13

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  14. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    [​IMG]
    You know, I gotta come back to this, becuase on a re-read it sounds really bad in hindsight.

I meant managers in general are biologically inclinded to be evil; I took a second look at that and one could be forgiven for thinking I was making a rather problematic gender-based comment, which would be...ew[face_sick]; I think this should probobly stand as an example for why peaple who are'nt witty or clever should'nt try to be.

Ha, take that Kirk! You only have more if you count your dumb cartoon!
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Even more, if you count his sweet, sweet movies, though. ;)

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and K2771991 like this.
  16. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Even LESS if you ONLY count the other Kirk's three movies!
    [​IMG]
    Ha! Gotcha!

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think

"It's our %@#, you know" just jumped to one of my favourite Trek lines ever. Tastes alright for %##%.

Also yay Burnham for going full McClane Die Hard with the shoes and everything.

Did Stammets adopt the not-Trill person off screen or in between episodes cuz he was freaking out like he was going to lose a kid or something. Still, shunting him off the ship is the right thing to do, and it used explosions as well.

darthcaedus1138 and K2771991 like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Me, trying to figure out "WHERE IS THIS?!":
    [​IMG]
    Show:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  20. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Kind of a meh season overall IMO. I like what it's going for a lot of the time, but it doesn't hit the mark when it needs to to wrap the season arc together. Having the Burn be such a personal story for one person that affects the ENTIRE GALAXY is cheap and too easily resolved. And while I love Bill Irwin and liked seeing Doug Jones out of costume, that doesn't work as the resolution to the season-long arc IMO. Saru kind of got shafted this season, I'm wondering whether they'll bust him back down to second in command next season. The season felt a bit scatter-brained. Adira and Grey could be interesting characters, but there's not enough there right now and pairing them with Stamets and Culber and forcing a family dynamic that needed more time to heat up wasn't to my liking. There are so many characters I love but oftentimes it'll just come down to Michael Burnham doing something and the plot contorts around making her the main character. My hope is now that she's finally captain that can recede a little bit and the show will become a bit more like a Star Trek show, just set way in the future and about reconnecting the galaxy.

There were some great episodes now and then, but for the most part it felt like the main conflict (the Emerald Chain) wasn't all that interesting til the end. Getting to see Vance in negotiation with Osyrra was cool, but she just became a villain by the end. I hope we see more of him next season, love Oded Fehr. Every season it feels like ok NOW it's the show it's going to be, but I think this time it finally is.

Sarge, seeker_two and K2771991 like this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The first half (first two thirds, really) of the finale story arc was definitely better than the second/final episode, but it had some good moments. It was not the best finale they've had though, nor was it their best season (Season 2 still dominates in those regards). Better than Season 1's, though, which kinda lost steam after they escaped the Mirror Universe. I was definitely let down by the minimal droid army payoff, however.

Chair Scientist maybe joining the crew felt obligatory at the end, and Tilly handing over the Captain's chair so fast was disappointing too. I like that they used the detachable nacelles in an interesting way here, though the whole warp core detonation plan seemed extreme and half-assed.

Major Plus: A warp core ejection system actually worked! It only took them nine-hundred years to finally work out all the kinks!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Shaxs would be so proud

K2771991 likes this.
  23. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I found the season finale, underwhelming. I think season 2 is my favorite of Discovery so far as I enjoyed Anson Mount as Pikeq, the stuff with Voq/Tyler and the character development for Saru in that season more than anything since.

I am more hyper for the Pike/Spock series and a return to the Enterprise alongside more lower decks than further Discovery seasons or Picard.

Sarge, seeker_two and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So with Grey having all these problems as a Trill voice made me start to worry are all Trills stuck in some hellish half life after they pass on? Curzon, Emony, Jazdia? Are they all like Grey going "I have no mouth yet I must scream?!" That would be awful. Let's just say that since Adira is a human and never went through the whole joining council teaching and stuff her past hosts and Grey are having a bit more of a horrible time than standard Trills would.

Burnham being almost reprogramable matter-d to death was kinda cool. The final resolution of the Burn did have TOS vibes which I appreciate although I do quibble with the mechanics of how it worked, but they hit it emotionally.

Also while I also quibble that the Admiral just let Burnham go with highly important Starfleet technology at the start of the episode just cuz, I can let it slide. There was a hellova lot of upside down cameras in this episode,but it worked with all the explosions.

The bit when the baddie pirate guy said she was in "no win situation" and Burnham said "I don't accept No." or something was a little wobbly, if they were going there they should have just straight up said the Kirk "I don't believe in no win scenarios". Same with with Detmer's buddy blew up the warp nacelle, strong TWOK vibes but didn't quite commit to it. And I guess the Sphere Data is exclusively kicking around the repair bots now?

So Burnham finally making Captain works for the arc of the show, however, I am still a fan of Captain Saru, I hope he isn't just hanging out with that Burn causing guy all next season. Also Burnham making Captain makes me think just with how the seasons have gone she'll only be Captain for S4, Captain of DISCO is starting to turn into the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher position.

I did realize to never insult Grudge ever again. "SHE'S A QUEEN!!!"

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think Grey's situation is meant to be normal. I think it's just a result of the special circumstances, rushed-and-cross-species surgery and her vision quest swim.