main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Some concept art of the newer ship designs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Aww, USS Nog is Eisenberg class... :D

3. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The only one of those that I don't hate from a design perspective is the Voyager-J. I've no idea what's going on with the USS Le Guin...

Just noticed that (with the exception of Voyager) that the registration numbers are incredibly close together. I know Starfleet is a far cry from what it was, but damn, I hadn't realised it was quite that constricted.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That could just represent that they are relatively newer ships built after the burn, or were ships under construction or in space dock (no active warp cores). The 32-prefix would suggest that they are all 32nd century ships.

As for the Le Guin, I agree that one is hard to parse from the POV shown here. But I also wouldn't want to judge the design fully based on one angle, since almost every ship has bad angles (even hero ships). The Enterprise-A being possibly the only major exception that crosses my mind, and that's a high bar to set.

At first glance, from that angle, I thought that Mars-class was like an advanced, upscaled version of Book's ship, but then I realized we weren't looking at it from the front and recognized which one it is. It has a secondary hull-less ship, with an arrowhead-like saucer (with that little "mouth" popped open being the deflector) and two detached, curved/bent nacelles wrapped around its orbit. It makes more sense from the angle we actually saw it on the show from:

[​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian and K2771991 like this.
  5. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Has there ever been any link between the start of a ship's registration and the century it's in before? Or maybe their ships were so few that they just decided to start from scratch...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not an official system, no. There may have been a 74-prefix = 24th century, 65=25th BTS idea, but I think I'm confusing that with the revised TNG stardate system.

I think it being this literal is new, but, also, would make sense. If we neared 80,000 ships after only a century or two of Starfleet history (with the rate of production increasing significantly as time went on- in addition to needing to replace whole fleets lost at Wolf 359, Sector 001 & multiple years of Dominion War battles), the registry numbers should be much, much higher even before the Burn. So resetting every century with a prefix would streamline things (much like the seeming changes to the lettering suffix practices and the implications on Refits vs replacements with the dawn of programmable matter).

Either way, given that all of the non-Voy ships have that prefix, it seems like too much of a coincidence to not be more or less their intention.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Saru and Burnham final logs of the season. Burnham getting a little teary-eyed sounding at the end.

I'm glad I watched the finale on TeeVee broadcast cuz when it hit the Crave app for the last episode the key art across the big banner was Burnham in her new uniform in the Captain's chair which, uhm, spoiler.

What took Disco so long to get the new uniforms anyway? They re hauled the whole ship! K, maybe it was a Captain Burnham decision and Captain Saru wanted continuity of uniforms for his term. Or he thought they were just ugly.

8. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    CBS need to fire the entire writing staff for this show and start over. CBS is spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a show that no one is watching and isn’t any good. I’ll never understand the decision-making of these people.

seeker_two likes this.
  9. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Well I’m watching it and I think it’s good.

10. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    1. It's just coming off of it's most critically acclaimed season and finally seems to have a clear direction. The writing staff are doing fine.
    2. I very much doubt the production budget is hundreds of millions of dollars. Even if it was they'll be recouping a fair chunk of change from the licencing deal with Netflix in addition to merchandise and subscribers to CBS All-Access.
    3. I wasn't aware CBS and Netflix had started publishing their viewing figures. Still, a thread on a Star Wars forum about the show has over 1600 replies and about a dozen distinct posters. I'm sure they're perfectly happy with the amount of viewers the show's getting.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    They are shooting S4 with pandemic protocols which is adding more to the budget, unlike a bunch of shows that got canned because pandemic protocols aren't worth it. Frankly, it's really likely it's the most watched exclusive thing on CBSAllAccess and probably keeping the whole thing afloat.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    TX-20 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  12. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    [​IMG]

Looks kinda like the Nimbus from Futurama
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :p

[​IMG]
    I liked the season, but IMO it was the weakest overall and I'm still not wholly sold on the decision to take them into the future; I would have perferred Disco remained set in the past, which is why I'm glad were getting Strange New Worlds to keep telling more pre-Kirk TOS era stories.

You should'nt insult Maine Coons anyway; their huge a****s and they don't need excuses to mess you up.

"Pandemic Protocol" sounds like either a cheaply-made video game on Steam that would never leave early access or a punk rock band from the early 2000s.

He's right;)

Your no fun, Serpico...

You know, considering how much time we spend gushing over Star Trek in our Trek threads and complaining about Star Wars in our Wars threads, it has occured to me that perhaps we should just change our name to "The Q Powers.net" and outright become a Star Trek site...

That or the staff is secretly running a Star Trek forum already without us knowing about it[face_shhh]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Ori did cross my mind on that one as well, ha.

Jedi Merkurian and K2771991 like this.
  14. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Ya'll were going on about Pah Wraiths causing the Burn, but it never occured to any of you that it might have been the Ori instead...

15. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Season four looking good.

16. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Looks good

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I feel like Discovery finally found its footing in season 3 (even though I enjoyed the first two seasons as well), and that season 4 teaser looks good. I'm excited!
    And I love the new uniforms.

K2771991, TX-20 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Good teaser, though the gravity anomaly idea seems kinda close to the navigational obstacles of Season 3’s premise. Hopefully it’ll be more unique in execution than the cursory information from a teaser can convey.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yay for command colours (TNG era) and not everyone wearing grey, sheesh.

A former coworker of mine who does extra works says he did something on Discovery playing "a degenerate human", I told him if he's lucky he'll get his own Memory Alpha page for unnamed crewmembers. But human degenerates, maybe they're going back to the space bar!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    K2771991 likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So....by popular demand.... the return of Morn?

K2771991 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    They did have one of Morn's species in the S3 opener who got eaten by a space dragon, I really hope that wasn't Morn. He's too smart to fall in with some swindlers and become a hired gun.

K2771991 likes this.
  22. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I've never cared for the space pyjamas so can't say I'm overly fond of the new uniforms.

K2771991 likes this.
  23. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I need Season Four and more Detmer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  24. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Jett Reno: "Always bet on Gold!"

Sarge, BigAl6ft6, K2771991 and 3 others like this.
  25. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    "I need season four and more Detmer."

*post a picture of season four, but it's Reno, not Detmer*

[face_mischief]

Juliet316 and TX-20 like this.