main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion A DROID STORY

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 10, 2020.

1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Does the Star Wars universe have characters who transformed themselves into a machine? In effect, they transferred their souls to a metal casing. Even General Greivous and Darth Vader had fleshy bodies underneath. Wondering if anyone went all the way.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. CISMestizo

CISMestizo Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2020
    I remember in Legends there was a nanomachine disease, or something that turned people into robotic abominations, but one Jedi infected was able to retain their identity. Read it in an old Essential Guide to Droid book a long time ago and I don't remember any of the specifics.

Jedi Knight Fett and dolphin like this.
  3. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    There's something similar to that in the Last Shot novel.

dolphin likes this.
  4. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    There was also a character in Legends named Nichos Marr who had his life energy transferred into a droid because he was dying of a terminal illness, although everyone eventually concluded that it wasn't really his soul in the droid. There are also a lot of instances of (especially Sith) transferring into inanimate objects.

dolphin likes this.
  5. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

“Sith transferring into inanimate objects”

Wait, what? Really? I’m intrigued. Do you recall the book or storyline?

6. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    The mention of Grievous and honestly that could be a fun droid story to follow. I fell in love with him as a villain in that original CW shorts they did prior to the RoTS release.

dolphin and CISMestizo like this.
  7. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    The most prominent would probably be Exar Kun, who transferred his spirit into the walls of his temple on Yavin IV (what would become the Rebel Base). This is from Tales of the Jedi comics and the plotline is picked up in the Jedi Academy Trilogy books. Darth Andeddu I believed transferred his essence to his own holocron, and could use to Force to control his own corpse. We never get this story directly, but he features most in some Republic and Legacy comics, and in the book Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil. Probably not a perfect example, but Freedon Nadd's spirit seems to be bound to his tomb to some extent. This is also referenced in Tales of the Jedi, but the events wherein he survives beyond death predate the setting of the story. Karness Muur transferred his essence into the Muur Talisman. This is told in the Vector comic crossover series.

8. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

Very interesting. Thanks! :)

I suppose Palpatine did the same thing leading up to TROS. That wasn’t adequately explained. By extension, Darth Plagueis probably knew how to transfer his essence into objects (or droids).

9. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    I've been wanting a droid rebellion storyline for years. Hopefully this movie has nothing to do with the godawful 80s cartoon.

10. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I'd like to see more of R2 and Threepio personally. Maybe they aren't the film/show's entirety but do appear more than they did in the ST.

CISMestizo likes this.
  11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    C3PO suddenly grows hair on his head that he dries with D-O

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  12. CISMestizo

CISMestizo Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2020
    I hope R0-GR makes an appearance. Star Wars needs more B1 Battle Droids

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That way Roger can be canon

14. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    Lord Momin in one of Charles Soule's Vader Graphic Novels also did this into his helmet.

15. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
  16. MachoManMace

MachoManMace Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2021
    Out of all the Star Wars projects coming to Disney+, this one intrigues me the most. I wonder if the animation style of this movie is going to look more like The Clone Wars or like a Pixar movie that nowadays has animation mixed with live-action looking backgrounds (like Toy Story 4).

17. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    That was one of the stories printed in Marvel UK's annual, on Kligson's Moon there was a trooper droid called Z-X3, looks like this was the start of the Dark Trooper ideas.
    [​IMG]

18. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Thats the best timeline, IMO. Start it after everything thats happened. It frees them from worrying about canon, continuity, all that pesky stuff that gets the threads here roaring. They can more easily introduce new droids too since again, they dont have to deal with "where was so and so new droid in the movies?".

19. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Seeing R2 and C3PO again post-TROS would be heartwarming.

I'm really interested in seeing the state of the galaxy post TROS. So much potential there for new stories, and this film would be an interesting way to start the exploration of that area in the timeline. If that's what they're planning. Wouldn't surprise me if this ends up being set somewhere during the OT though.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  20. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I'm hoping this one can surprise me. Droid-centred episodes have consistently been my least favourite episodes of the animated shows. I don't entirely know why this is because I don't have anything against a robot protagonist in theory. I love WALL-E. My favourite character in Ex Machina was the robot. Part of it might be that, in the animated shows, the droid episodes always felt like a commercial break. If the entire movie is about droids, I might not have that.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope it's post TROS and give nothing but droid characters.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope it's like Ex Machina and we see Oscar Isaac do some serious dance moves.

23. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ I don't know the context of that pic, but I'm guessing 3P0 kicked the big robot's shiny metal @$$ and stole his red arm... ? Yeah, no, that makes no sense at all.

25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Threepio found out Artoo and him weren't going to be allowed to leave Kligson's Moon and Threepio started whining like the prissy droid he is. [face_laugh]