main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Rey, Finn, and Poe in future films.

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by DarthBorealis, Dec 20, 2019.

1. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    For Rey it's kinda boring because she basically just becomes post ROTJ Luke after TROS. I hope she could seek out Grogu and some of Luke's other students who survived to jump-start the new order. I think her struggling with force powers weakening because of Ben and therefore the dyad being gone could be an interesting plot point.

For Finn he obviously should be a Jedi, being Rey's first student. After training for a bit I think he should go on a solo journey to discover himself.

For Poe I would have him take command of the New Republic military. Having him be a mentor in Rogue Squadron or even part of the team would be perfect if they could actually get Oscar Isaac back.

DarthRamRod and StardustSoldier like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    What if Rey was swallowed by a sarlacc right after the final scene in TROS?

3. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    Maybe the main SW marvel comics could be continue the story in the future.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Then it would be revealed that the sarlacc is her second uncle, once removed, and she would destroy him with her, instantly acquired, anti-sarlacc force power. (Straight from her "force powers" utility belt) :)

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But only after a speech the sarlacc gave stating that her killing him would mean that she was his replacement sarlacc... only to find that no, killing him just meant no more sarlacc. :p

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And then she would "inherit" Boba Fett's (whom she was cloned from) armor, passed on from one sarlacc survivor to another, and be accepted as a foundling. Which would lead to her "inheriting" the Darksaber and eventually becoming the new Madalore, who was also her great, great, great grandfather.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    anakinfansince1983 and EHT like this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup, that all makes sense.

8. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I’d want to see Ben’s turn to Kylo Ren, or rather I want to see this story of Luke as a Jedi Master.

Not clamouring for any more Rey, Finn and Poe at this point. But if they write an interesting story that involves them or gives them some depth, I’m all for it.

Perhaps there’s something interesting they can do with Rey and the dyad even after Ben’s death. Also could be neat to see Finn as Reys first student since he’s force sensitive. Can Padawan Finn fill the Ben-sized hole in Rey’s heart? Or, plot-twist, can Poe?

Could also be interesting to see Finn and Poe dealing with FO survivors and turncoats, like those struggling to reintegrate and be accepted into society, with Finn being more understanding than Poe.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    StardustSoldier likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I wouldn’t mind seeing a Finn and Poe buddy-cop type movie where they hunt down the remnants of the First Order.

Rey, I’m not so sure about. Her behavior towards Kylo Ren soured me on her completely. I suppose there is a way to have stories about her training students with the occasional help from Luke’s ghost.

10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, every relationship was a casualty in the ST, whether they had potential from the start or not..

Normally I think all of these petitions and such to change canon or "take back" movies or stories are silly and ridiculous. But when it comes to the Kylo kiss, I think they should not only remove it from canon,. they should try to chase down every copy in existence and have it removed. It served absolutely no purpose, and removing it would not have changed the movie in any notable way in terms of the story. A warm hug could easily and in a much more effective way expressed what JJ and every excuser of this scene tries to make it about; there was just no need for the creepy, cringeworthy kiss. A lusty kiss was just so out of place there.

On the other side of the coin, one of the positives of the ST dialogue was the flirty, twinkly eyed banter between Rey and Finn in TFA. But as the novelist for TFA recently said- this was a setup for a relationship. The way it just goes nowhere, or they just turn into best buddies was stupid. It made no sense.

11. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    At the very most, it should have been a sombre nod of gratitude and acknowledgment from Rey that BeLo had saved her life and had apparently excised his evil ways. I was chuckling when she broke into a grin and gave him a kiss. I was like "Hey, it doesn't bother you some that this guy looks EXACTLY like the guy who has been giving you and your buddies a hard time over the course of 2.8 movies?" Even with the fairytale nature of these movies, it was stretching credibility a bit.

12. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I will never forget my best friend's reaction to the Reylo kiss in the cinema: "Jesus Christ...". Someone who has seen with me every SW movie since we were kids, played every videogame. This was a shame for SW as a whole. An utter disgrace.

Which brings me to something that might not be covered in this thread but will have to be discussed at some point: Whill LFL ever have the guts to bring back Ben? I know it will be the most terrible decission ever, specially with all the drums about TROS being the End of the Skywalker Saga. But the bar is so low after the ST one has to be prepared for the worst these days.

13. Trev Elyt

Trev Elyt Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 22, 2019
    I really loved the sequels, in spite of their flaws, and I’d love to see Daisy, John and Oscar reprise their roles, but the reality of it is that The Rise of Skywalker felt like a definitive end, as far as I’m concerned. Unless they found a REALLY compelling way that justified continuing the Skywalker saga, I think they need to leave it alone.

As unfortunate as it might sound, I’m almost relieved in a sense that The Rise of Skywalker was criticized like it was — hopefully that will be enough for Lucasfilm to move away from those films and focus on other stuff. There are other ways to continue the story for those characters outside of the films, but I think in terms of the episodic films, The Rise of Skywalker needed to be the end.

A story surrounding Finn, Poe and Rose — or even something with Rey training Finn to be a Jedi — would be interesting, but it doesn’t feel necessary. I kind of like the ambiguity that The Rise of Skywalker ended with, because we know that Rey will continue the legacy left behind by Luke and Leia, and that’s enough. We don’t need to see it. If anything, I think shows like The Mandalorian has showed fans that there is interest in Star Wars beyond the Skywalker saga, which seems like a really good opportunity to tell other stories.

All that being said, though, I’d still love to see the sequel stars return, if the story justified its existence. Otherwise, take Kylo Ren’s advice and let the past die. ;)

StardustSoldier likes this.
  14. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Great post and dead-on. TFA setup the Fin-Rey thing beautifully. Then....the rest of the sequels happened. Such a waste. Yes, delete that crap from Canon! :)

If you really step back and assess it, NONE of these three characters got a real arc at all. Including Rey. Poe and Fin got dumped in TLJ and never recovered. For these reasons, all three characters are "dead" to me creatively and no movies that feature them are going to interest me at all. Just a complete debacle how each were handled and/or cast aside. Three movies and we didnt get a real arc or interesting story for any of them. Only Kylo/Ben had something and they ruined that in Rise with one of the most pointless kiss scenes in film history. So stupid and meaningless. Ugh.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    She found a nude guy named Cobb Vanth in the desert who asked her if she could lend him some clothes.

16. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I've heard conflicting things as well. I have heard (by some) that more will be done w/Rey in other media.

17. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    That makes the most sense in my opinion at this current time. Maybe in ten years if they want to revisit Rey and the future of the Jedi. But if its a current time frame like within a year or so of TROS events. I don't think it really is enough time at least for Rey to become interesting again. Don't get me wrong I still love Rey and I think future down the line Rey stuff could work.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  18. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I doubt we’ll see them in future films, other than perhaps cameos, but I’d be down for a comic or animated series that concludes the relationship between these two.

[​IMG]

Just a sort of epilogue story that wraps up these two characters more, given how close they were in TFA. I think there’s a potentially interesting story about Rey feeling a void with her other half of the dyad gone, like her ‘soulmate’ is gone, and all the while Padawan Finn secretly having strong feelings for Master Rey (and harbouring resentment that she’s so hung up on this psycho who nearly killed them). Maybe Rey needs to learn that some connections and relationship can be even stronger than the force or a dyad.

But other than that, I don’t really need to see Poe and company rebuilding the New New Republic or Rey rebuilding the New New Jedi order especially since we haven’t even really seen that between RoTJ and TFA.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    chrcharcor2 likes this.
  19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    My thing is, when they return (which they certainly will short of an apocalypse), it should serve the story that is being told at that time, and should avoid all of the relationship stuff that didn't end up working so well in the ST. Utilize the aspects of these characters/stories that did work or were cool from the ST, as those do exist. There was much hope after TFA, and for some of us, there was hope that TROS would save the ST, but it only made it worse.

20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of adventure with Poe, Zorii and Babu Frik. I suppose you'd be looking at a Guardians of the Galaxy style adventure.

21. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    What if they did a parallel story to the events of the sequel trilogy that will eventually cross paths with Rey and Finn future movies? They could make the story about Luke’s surviving padawans eventually coming together vs a new threat. This way it won’t retcon the sequel trilogy(they could fill in some backstory) then it could lead to them uniting with Rey and Finn for a new trilogy. I am sure they could fit Poe in somehow but I think the focus should be on Rey, Finn, Luke’s padawans who escaped the massacre vs new threat. I believe future films with Rey and Finn is inevitable. Just a matter of time.

22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    If we were to review what characters could maybe hold down a solo film with the right ambition... I feel it’s the one least likely for LFL to pursue that with: Finn.

Finn’s biggest issue was more just straight up apathy and disinterest by Johnson that LFL then enforced again in TROS. On the one hand, this means he was by and large ignored and dismissed for two while films, often intentionally... but on the other hand, it also means he’s not as poisoned by perpetual retcons and derailing character choices as Rey and Poe are.

It’s still perfectly feasible you could harness a bunch of speculative story ideas from TFA and launch a movie for him from them, something like: “Finn pursues the kidnapped children still held by the remnants of the First Order and Palpatine’s loyalists into the Unknown Regions while exploring his connection to the Force and having to teach himself the ways of the Jedi while dealing with his till-now ignored trauma from being a child slave soldier.”

Add some good bad guys to that, and you’ve got a very compelling story.

...But it requires fully and publicly acknowledging the missed opportunities from the ST, and likely giving Boyega and his production company significant control over the film.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Def Trooper and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  23. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Rey will visit the Mandalore throneroom in the epilogue of The Mandalorian, the final scene of the show to get Grogu to help her restart the Jedi. Save this post.

It'll be the Ahsoka, Sabine scene of the show.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  24. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    I would ******g love that - great idea.

I guess Grogu would be in his mid to late 70's depending how far after TROS the scene is - didn't Yoda start training Jedi aged 100?
    If so I guess that'd mean a "grown" Grogu teaching younglings would realistically be within reach story wise!

Seriously, I'd never even considered that before, but now I really want it to happen.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    [​IMG]