main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2021 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2021.

1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    My runs tend to turn into power-walks, but I have resumed doing pushups and situps with them. I'd like to expand my workouts. I tend to be too impatient for planking, though that's good for running.

Edit: About being depressed, I have a hard time running when I experience a mood swing (happens often when alone, so power-walking feels like a good compromise when I don't have it in me to run).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    @Luke02 my fitness tracker/smart watch runs $350.00 and it's barely mid range. I LOVE it though and I actually got 30% off so I only paid about $250 including shipping because most insurance plans offer discounts on things that will help keep you healthy. I love my watch, it counts may laps when I swim, can keep up with how far I run outside or on a treadmill, counts my steps, synchs with my calendar, it can find my phone, tracks my sleep, knows my heart rate and it holds music that connects to wireless headphones for running or any workouts. Plus it does more, it even tells time, LOL.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    20k steps done for the day. Here is hoping I can keep it up

4. Billy Budd

Billy Budd Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2021
    Core stability seems to be really key for many activities. If it's weak I guess the load falls elsewhere and other problems can ensue.

There's some serious stepping going on out there!

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The weather forecast had promised a perfect, but a bit chilly, winter day today. I did 9 km cross country skiing around a lake and it was wonderful. Most of the time it was in the shade, the sun still doesn't rise very high and the lake has some hills around it, but it was really nice. I also beat the crowds, when I got back all the parking lots were filled and it was people everywhere. It took me 1h10 minutes, which is where I would like to be for a full 10 k. Also since it's on a lake it was totally flat, which is so much easier than going in the woods where it's up and down. Still if I can get a couple of more rounds on the lake I can start thinking about actually doing the 30 k ski race or not.

6. Billy Budd

Billy Budd Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2021
    I ran 16km this morning. It was raining and I now have chafing in places best not elaborated upon. :eek: Total kms for the week were 37. Pretty happy with that these days.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Juliet316 , Billy Budd and Runjedirun like this.
  8. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Ooof my longish run this morning was not easy, it felt like I was running into the wind 75% of the time. I did remember to bring gatorade and I don't feel a headache coming on so that is a huge improvement over last week :)

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ex-runner advice: If you can, find a loop to run on and start with the wind facing you. That way, when you're running home, wind is at your back.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    New Year Confession time - don't enjoy exercise at all. I'm OK with 5-10 mins but more than that? Can feel my ability to coordinate anything go way out the window.

Headphones? Not really a practical option.

My solution? Little and often seems to work. Just need to try to increase the frequency where I can.

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    The important thing is that it works for you.

I did another 9 k lap around the lake on skis today, I thought that I went a bit faster and tried to push myself a bit more, but I forgot to take the time before I went out. Also it might be a while until I can do that track again. There was so much ice in the tracks, and tomorrow it's going to snow and the weather is going to get worse before it gets better, so the tracks will probably deteriorate more. Also in order to push myself more I need to go on a track with a bit more varied terrain, and not just the totally flat lake.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It seems to. I'm lighter now than I was a year ago and have gotten better at spacing out the sweets. The virtual office has far less in the way of temptation in this respect.

What I find baffling is that it seems just about everyone else has a sufficient energy supply to work and then afterwards go out for a run. Feel like a Brand X bunny amid a load of Duracell rabbits.

Dyspraxic effect? Probably throws a spanner in the works, plus the partial hearing loss.

13. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I'm Brand X as well...if I don't do my exercise first thing in the morning, it almost never happens after I finish work for the day--or even as a mid-day work break. Sounds like you've got the right idea to try to space it out into short periods throughout the day, though. Hope you have success with that approach!

Trying to minimize/space out the sweet treats is key for me as well, which is sometimes tough working from home, because I have noticed that my husband has been buying ice cream a lot more often since the pandemic began:p

I did some new bodyweight exercises yesterday followed by a 30-minute "climb" ride this morning. My quads feel like two sore blocks of wood...and I'm loving that feeling!:p

Billy Budd, Juliet316 , Sarge and 8 others like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's currently once a day for me right now. Still, seems to have some effect.

Billy Budd, Juliet316 , ZV-83 and 3 others like this.
  15. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't really have a lot of energy for excersize. That is why zumba and a PT works for me, I need someone to set a time to meet and then tell me what do do. When I try go by myself I get stuck in the sofa. I also don't get a lot of energy from training, if I do it in the morning when I have a day off I don't have energy for anything else that day. What keeps me going is that I notice that my blood sugar levels are so much better when I excersize, so that's a very clear measurement that it works, even if I don't feel it in my body.

16. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I used to pop out of bed in the morning to exercise. That has been different for almost a year now. Without a routine I am struggling, yet somehow I have managed to keep up with exercise. I must say though, I really miss that amazing awake, energized feeling I had before this pandemic came along. For me the struggle is real. And by routine I mean I knew what my routine and my kids routine would be for that day and every day forever. I know now someday we will need to go back to a new normal and this is not permanent and for me that is just hard. And all the anxiety that comes from this Virus and what's going on here in the USA and just within my family and my personal life. It's been a lot. I miss my gym with a passion! I miss my running friends! I just keep telling myself those things are coming back and I want to be in shape so I can enjoy them.

Master_Lok, Billy Budd, Rew and 8 others like this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    For me, work was mostly mental effort, so at the end of the day I wanted to rest my brain and work my body. Going for a run after work was something I looked forward to. Switch off my brain for a while and put my body to work, it was a good way to switch things up.

18. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    In the pre-pandemic world, I used to always run after work. Once WFH started, I've transitioned to running early in the morning during the week (I've always ran in the morning on the weekends). I enjoy starting the day like that. Granted outside of summer I'm starting before the sun comes up but it's enjoyable seeing the first light of day out running. It's quieter then on the route I run too. It's peaceful and let's me get my thoughts together for the upcoming workday.

19. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Pre-Covid, I never had a set daily exercise routine because I work away a lot and my working times are often unpredictable. My job can be physically draining, so I would mostly train on my days off or at the end of a less intense work day. Unfortunately, the new lockdown has severely reduced my work opportunities and I find myself with too much time on my hands and missing the physical challenge of my job. I am finding ways to keep myself active with my spin bike, running and body weight exercises, but (like everyone else) I miss my old routine. On a positive note I can now do more chin-ups than I’ve ever managed before. I managed 80 in one day last week. I’m aiming to do 100 in a day before February.

20. Billy Budd

Billy Budd Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2021
    I find the only way I can get weekday runs in these days is first thing in the morning, but I can't say it comes naturally to me at the time. I always feel good for it after though. I find I get to work in a good mental space. I ran 8k this morning. It was my first run after my 16k on the weekend and I found it pretty tough going. Really wanted to stop and walk after 4k but managed to hang in there til the end.

@Jedi Ben, I'm with you on the post-work runs. Early in the day it can seem like a good idea, but when the time comes I'm rarely up for it.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    30k steps today or 13.1 miles. In retrospect I can’t imagine how I did this for 20 straight days once. Don’t get me wrong it’s good exercise but I think 20k steps is plenty

ZV-83, Rew, Juliet316 and 4 others like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Always push yourself to do more if you can. But don't go crazy.

ZV-83 likes this.
  23. Billy Budd

Billy Budd Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2021
    Today was the day when I tried to run fast for the first time in I don't know how long. I was quite apprehensive, but pleasantly surprised in the end. I was able to hold my old 5k pace for 2k. Admittedly I was on a treadmill, which is a bit different to out on the road, but still pretty decent. I was hoping for 1k and anything else a bonus, so I was happy to get to 2 (just!)

ZV-83, Pensivia, Juliet316 and 5 others like this.
  24. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Yesterday there was a new instructor at my zumba class. It's interesting to notice how different it is between instructors. This felt much more like a dance class compared to the usual instruktor. Afterwards I didn't feel as tired as usual, but my back and arm muscles are aching more than usual.

ZV-83, Pensivia, Juliet316 and 4 others like this.
  25. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I switched up my running days this week so I wouldn't have to be out when it's less than 25 degrees in the morning. We've been lucky these past few weeks with no snow, but that could change next week. No dire forecasts yet, but lots of flakes popping up on the 10 day outlook. The awesome thing is I ran 6 hilly neighborhood miles back to back days and didn't even feel it! The strength training is paying off :)